Flash and BulletML

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
DasFool

Flash and BulletML

Post by DasFool »

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could direct me to some English documentation on getting BulletML working with Flash.

Also has anyone done any extensive work with a lot of moving objects and flash? Unless my code skills are really terrible, Flash doesn't seem to be very efficient about this kind of thing.
Tychom

Post by Tychom »

Well BulletML is just an XML schema, as such if Flash has any way to read XML then you can read a BulletML document.

I must emphasise 'just' an XML schema because it really is just that, once you've read the document in it's up to you to react to the actions the document lays out - the document being just a description.

BulletML itself will provide you with no bullet handling, maths, collision detection etc etc. You have to write all the code you'd have written in the first place only taking into account the actions read from the BulletML document.

Writing you game engine to accept BulletML documents simply means that writing new barrages in the future should be simpler, in the short term it will mean having to write a more complicated bullet class.

As for how to get that working in Flash (actionscript?) I dunno, look at the BulletML demo applet code for one way on how to use the actions read from a BulletML document and apply them to a bullet.

[edit] noticing that abagames have a flash demo too then look at that, though again it's all written in java and isnt really any different to the java demo code. There arent really any tutorials on how to build a bullet class that I know of so looking at code is the only option.
DasFool

Post by DasFool »

I appreciate the reply Tychom. I was mainly looking for a way to get the bullet patterns translated to Flash Actionscript. It looks like there is a program that does this, but you need a java environment set up which I'm not familiar with. I guess the best I can do is look through the classes (if they are simple text files) and try to get any math information from them. I'll eventually post my work here when I get some webspace to work with.

In case anyone else is interested, here is the page with the BulletML to SWF program (it's only available in the japanese area of the ABA Games website):

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/bu ... index.html

And again, if anyone has any hints on keeping Flash from really chugging with a ton of bullets on screen, please pass me a hint!
druuna

Post by druuna »

I'm not sure but the tool you are talking about is only able to create simple flash frames animation not actionscripted-animations (I think you know the difference if you use Flash).
But I repeat: I'm not sure since all the documentations I founded was in Japanese and only few tech infos were in "engrish".
I'm interested in BulletML and Flash too...if someone has any news keep us informed please.