Pink Gorilla U-District in Seattle - Shmupmeet 10/02 @ 2pm!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
marus

Re: Shmups on location in Seattle @ Pink Gorilla (U-District)

Post by marus »

I posted this in the Northwest thread as well, but I thought I should post here too - how would people feel about having a small meet at Pink Gorilla, to play some games and get to know each other? If you're interested, I think the weekend after PAX would be a good time.
Pirate1019

Post by Pirate1019 »

kid aphex wrote:is this related to the pink gorilla in the international district?
Don't make that mistake (speaking from experience). The one you're looking for is in the University District. If I remember correctly, a bunch of the 90 bus lines go out in the right direction.
"You are the Hero of Tomorrow!"
KevinDDR

Post by KevinDDR »

Marus, that sounds great. I'll figure out when I'm free ASAP.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

marus wrote:If you're in the area, then I'd say it's worth your time considering how few arcades outside of Japan support shooters. Right now they have Dodonpachi Daioujou (White Label), Raiden Fighters Jet, Strikers 1945 Plus, and Tenkomori Shooting (not really a shmup, but has shmup minigames).
Kinda lamenting the loss of Espgaluda, since DOJ, RFJ, and Strikers all have that military/industrial look. It's nice to break that up a bit with Galuda's more fantasy influenced element adding some variety. Not that one can complain much about DOJ, but it's too bad DOJ and Galuda couldn't both be there.

Anyway, if I'm free I'd make the journey over from the eastside (Bellevue here) to a meet.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Pirate1019 wrote:
kid aphex wrote:is this related to the pink gorilla in the international district?
Don't make that mistake (speaking from experience). The one you're looking for is in the University District. If I remember correctly, a bunch of the 90 bus lines go out in the right direction.
thanks. but, aside from shmups machines, what's the ID store's game selection like?
EPS21

Post by EPS21 »

kid aphex wrote:thanks. but, aside from shmups machines, what's the ID store's game selection like?
according to their page on facebook:
Current game list:

Medieval Madness (pinball)
Dance Dance Revolution Supernova 2
Pop'n Music 14: Fever!
Drum Mania V3
Guitar Freaks V3
Crazy Taxi 3: High Roller
Soul Calibur 2
Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Capcom vs SNK 2
Tenkomori Shooting
DoDonPachi Dai-Ou-Jou
Bubble Bobble
Metal Slug X
Neo-Geo 4-Slot wth Metal Slug 3, Bust-A-Move, King of Fighters 2002 and Windjammers
Raiden Fighters Jet
Dig Dug
Joust
Marble Madness
Ms. Pac-Man

Q-Zap Joystand (sticker machine)
marus

Post by marus »

That's actually for the UD store. The ID store doesn't have an arcade.

For the meet, it looks like we already have a few people down, so I'm going to say let's do it on Saturday, September 11. Does starting at 5:00pm sound good, or is that too early/late? (keep in mind that the arcade closes at 9:00). Also, there's a lot of good food places in the area so if we all get hungry then maybe we can grab a bite to eat together.
KevinDDR

Post by KevinDDR »

That sounds good to me. Let's go for it!
bobbyconover

Post by bobbyconover »

Wow guys, I didn't realize the thread had been revived. Cool!

I'm super excited that you guys are putting a meet-up together. Even if only a handful of people make it out, it's a beginning. Maybe if it goes well the word will spread and more will make it to the next one, etc. I want to try to accommodate you guys however possible, so if the date is set and it's actually happening, I can do some temporary PCB swapping so there's a nice selection that day. Any specific requests? Or would anyone else like to bring PCBs? I don't have the most amazing lineup, but it's slowly growing. Right now these are the choices I can think of offhand: DDP DOJ, Espgaluda, Espgaluda II, Armed Police Batrider, Fever SOS, Vasara, Raiden Fighters 1, 2, and Jet, Tenkomori, and I don't know if these really count, but I have the Namco Classics 1 and 2 PCBs which have Galaga and Xevious on them among other games, with cool remixed versions.

As for replacing Espgaluda with DOJ, fret not.. Nothing is gone for good, I just need to mix up the games occasionally to keep things fresh. Espglauda II started dropping into ridiculously low numbers so I swapped in Espgaluda 1, and now that has done the same so in went DOJ. Ultimately (hopefully sooner than you think -- I have some things in the work as we speak that look very promising) I want to have more candy cabs so that we can actually have a row of shmups and not have to always swap in and out of the same cab. The ones I've had so far haven't exactly done that great earnings wise, but I'm still dedicated to the idea that we can get some local interest going and I think this meet-up is a really important step in that direction. I'll keep checking this thread so if anyone has any more input, requests or ideas let me know!

Oh and if you haven't already, join the Pink Gorilla Arcade (not Pink Gorilla Games) Facebook group! :)
marus

Post by marus »

Thanks Bobby, I really appreciate the support! I'd be happy if you could have one of the Espgaludas up and running that day.

Also, do you think it would be possible to setup a TV in the store? That way we could have a console setup as well. I could bring a 360 with most of its lineup.
seattlexc

Post by seattlexc »

marus wrote: Also, do you think it would be possible to setup a TV in the store? That way we could have a console setup as well. I could bring a 360 with most of its lineup.
This is a great idea, I'd love to see some console based shmups as well as PCBs. I could bring a PS2 with plenty of PS1/2 shmups. I hope there's room at PG for some TVs, that place is packed with all your cabs
RIP Seattle SuperSonics - 1967–2008
bobbyconover

Post by bobbyconover »

Good news, I talked to Rob from PG and he has agreed to keep the store open as late as we want for the meet-up, so we could potentially go much later than 9 if that appeals to you guys. Just let me know what you all think. Also it sounds like having a TV setup would be fine, but I personally don't have anything that would really work for that and Rob only has a plasma screen that he thinks might have lag? If anyone wants to volunteer to bring the TV and console stuff we can definitely figure out a place to set it up.

Oh, and I forgot that I have a Life Force PCB I could bring if anyone is into old-school hori. I'll probably remember a few other random boards before the date comes.. If any of you know how we could procure a few more, I'd love to hear about it. Do you all think there's any chance of getting anyone from Portland or BC to come out?

I'm tentatively hoping/planning to have at least 4 candy cabs set up with shmups in them in addition to whatever sort of TV setup we work out and the random stuff like Strikers in the Neo 4-slot. If I can pull it off I'll have even more cabs than that, but a bunch of things have to fall into place to help make that happen. I'll keep you all posted!
robivy64

Post by robivy64 »

I was just in Seattle a few months ago, I wish I had thought about stopping by when I was in town.
marus

Post by marus »

Good news, I talked to Rob from PG and he has agreed to keep the store open as late as we want for the meet-up, so we could potentially go much later than 9 if that appeals to you guys. Just let me know what you all think. Also it sounds like having a TV setup would be fine, but I personally don't have anything that would really work for that and Rob only has a plasma screen that he thinks might have lag? If anyone wants to volunteer to bring the TV and console stuff we can definitely figure out a place to set it up.
Good news indeed. I'm glad to hear that the store is on board with the meet. Unfortunately, I don't have a TV that I can easily take out of the apartment.
EPS21

Post by EPS21 »

I can bring a 21" flat screen CRT monitor, its what I typically use for tate'd MAME and 360 shmups. I can bring my lcd monitors too (17" 4:3 and a 19" 16:10) if they can serve any purpose at all (only have one xbox360 -> vga adapter though).
seattlexc

Post by seattlexc »

EPS21 wrote:I can bring a 21" flat screen CRT monitor, its what I typically use for tate'd MAME and 360 shmups. I can bring my lcd monitors too (17" 4:3 and a 19" 16:10) if they can serve any purpose at all (only have one xbox360 -> vga adapter though).
Wow, that equipment along with the candy cabs will make this shmupmeet pretty epic. I'll try to bring a CRT TV as well along with my PS1 and a hori joystick. I'm really looking forward to having the first 3 Donpachi games running, with DOJ on the cab :D
RIP Seattle SuperSonics - 1967–2008
marus

Post by marus »

Cool, looks like we have TVs taken care of. I also have a Xbox360 VGA cable if we end up needing it. I forgot to mention, I'll also bring a stick for the 360. If anyone wants to use a pad, then you'll have to bring your own, because I don't have any.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

how come the 11th and not a day PAX is rollin?
bobbyconover

Post by bobbyconover »

kid aphex wrote:how come the 11th and not a day PAX is rollin?
I assume because if PAX is rollin' most people will want to spend their days (and nights? how late does it go?) there, rather than at the meet. Also, the PG guys have a big booth there and need to be totally wrapped up in it all day every day, so we definitely wouldn't be able to have anyone there with us to keep the store open past closing time. I operate the arcade games, but since I'm not technically a PG employee I don't really have the power to do it myself.

Do you guys think it would be crazy to publicize this on other forums or even something like Craigslist? I have to imagine there are other shmup players out there who would love to be there but would never even think to check this forum much less track down this thread. For example, I'm way into the local pinball scene, but I never would've known about its existence if not for a Craigslist ad promoting a little pinball gathering at a pizza joint in Oak Harbor 4 years ago. That event ended up becoming the Pinball & Gameroom show, which is a huge annual event, largely because so many people ended up coming out of the woodwork to the Oak Harbor show as a result of advertising like that. Just an idea!
marus

Post by marus »

Exactly what Bobby said. I'm not planning on leaving the convention center this weekend other than to eat and sleep, and I imagine that I'm not the only one. Of course, if there's enough interest then you can meet during PAX. I just thought it would be more convenient to do it a different weekend. If you can't make it on the 11th - well, if this first meet goes well, then I'm hoping that we can have more meets in the future, so that there will be other chances for anybody that misses this one.

Although speaking of PAX, I'm planning to spark some shooter action in the console freeplay room in between whatever else I decide to do.
bobbyconover wrote:Do you guys think it would be crazy to publicize this on other forums or even something like Craigslist? I have to imagine there are other shmup players out there who would love to be there but would never even think to check this forum much less track down this thread. For example, I'm way into the local pinball scene, but I never would've known about its existence if not for a Craigslist ad promoting a little pinball gathering at a pizza joint in Oak Harbor 4 years ago. That event ended up becoming the Pinball & Gameroom show, which is a huge annual event, largely because so many people ended up coming out of the woodwork to the Oak Harbor show as a result of advertising like that. Just an idea!
I had no idea that events like this were posted on Craigslist. If you think it would help, then I'd say go for it!
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

I'll have to see what I'm doing that day, but if I am able to attend I could bring some boards like Raiden DX, Donpachi, Dodonpachi and Battle Bakraid. Since I don't have a cab at home anymore (looking at setting up a Supergun) I figure they might as well get some use.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

midevil maddness! so sad the arcade here in town went to shit. they had that game and man me and my sister loved it. nice selection of games. heh, someday I will make it out there :D
wnka

Post by wnka »

I live nearby and would be willing to bring my 13" PVM with Ultracade UVC if CRTs are still needed.

Looking forward to it!

marus

Post by marus »

Looks like we're picking up interest! I'm getting pretty excited!

I'm going to make a list of what people have offered to bring. This way it will be clear what we have available, as well as what further equipment we do/don't need most. (I marked items not confirmed with ?)

Equipment:
marus - JTAG XBox360, XBox360 seimitsu stick
EPS21 - JP Xbox360, XBox360 seimitsu TE stick, PS2, 21" CRT, LCD monitors
seattlexc - CRT, PS1, PS1 hori stick
Vexorg - PCBs (?)
KevinDDR - XBox360 TE stick
hamfighterx - XBox360 HRAP-SE(imitsu) stick

I think as far as TVs go we're good (I'm not sure if there's even need for 3 CRTs, not to mention if there's room or not). EPS21, I don't think we'll need the LCDs, but lets see how things progress.

If anyone is curious, here are the shmups I'm bringing (I'll edit this posts with what everyone else is bringing too if people want):
EDIT - Added games from EPS21 and hamfighterx

XBox360:
DeathSmiles
DeathSmiles IIX
Dodonpachi DaiOuJou Black Label EXTRA
Espgaluda II Black Label
Ikaruga
Ketsui EXTRA
Mamorukun wa Norowareteshimatta!
Mushihimesama Futari
Otomedius G
Raiden Fighters Aces
Raiden IV
Shikigami no Shiro III
Shooting Love 200X
Triggerheart Exelica

PS2:
Dodonpachi Daioujou
Espgaluda
Mushihimesama
Ibara
Shikigami no Shiro: Nanayouzuki Gensoukyoku (lol)
Twinkle Star Sprites La Petite Princess
Last edited by marus on Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:36 pm, edited 6 times in total.
KevinDDR

Post by KevinDDR »

I can bring an Xbox360 FSTE arcade stick. It's all Sanwa parts, sorry Seimitsu fans! However, if someone has a Seimitsu LS-32 dust cover then I can swap in a Seimitsu LS-32 just for the meeting.
marus

Post by marus »

I guess I should mention that my stick is a custom, with a Seimitsu LS-40 and Seimitu buttons.
EPS21

Post by EPS21 »

Oh yeah, naturally I'll be bringing my stick, a custom ssf4 TE with all seimitsu parts. I have a J360 too which I'll be bringing, and pretty much all the shmups you listed marus I have as well, along with OtemediusG and Shooting Love 200x. And the LCD is no problem so I'll bring one; we can use it for horis like DeathsmilesIIX and RaystormHD, they look quite nice on it.

I could bring my ps2 as well, I have mushi, galuda1, doj, and all the beatmaniaIIDX ports (dunno if anyone else besides me and Kevin cares about that). Regardless, combining everyone's gear I think we have a lot to play with so I'm also really looking forward to it :mrgreen:. Does PG have any tables to put all this stuff on? What about space?

edit: I happen to have an extra LS-32 dustcover Kevin. I don't think you'll need to swap out whatever's in there though since everyone else is bringing theirs
marus

Post by marus »

OK, I updated my post to include all of the games and equipment. Thanks to everyone that's bringing stuff, I really appreciate it!

As for room - it probably will be a little crowded, but it should be manageable. I think PG has some tables for the consoles and TVs, but Bobby would know better than me. If things get really bad, is there any chance that we could temporarily open up the back room?

Side note - I'm not personally into rhythm games, but I do enjoy watching other people play.
bobbyconover

Post by bobbyconover »

EPS21 wrote:Regardless, combining everyone's gear I think we have a lot to play with so I'm also really looking forward to it :mrgreen:. Does PG have any tables to put all this stuff on? What about space?
Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Basically this is going to be happening during store hours for the bulk of it, and even if Rob keeps the store open past closing, I assume he'll be keeping it open to everyone then as well... So we can't exactly take over the whole store with 10 CRTs and 5 Xboxes and whatever else. If I had to guess I'd say maybe 2 (mayyyyybe 3) console setups would be the most we can handle, and even then I'm going to have to do some major pursuading and moving of stuff to get the space. I do know there's a folding table in the back that can be used for the consoles, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Also, this is a sort of weird grey area to bring up, so I'll try to tread lightly. Basically the enthusiast in me wants to say "throw a big party, have as many consoles set up as possible" etc. But at the same time I have to justify this to the store somehow, and I think they were assuming (as was I) that people meeting up at an arcade would mostly be playing on the arcade cabs. Obviously we don't have a superb shmup lineup so I totally understand bringing the Xboxes with Ketsui and Futari and whatever, but it gets kinda weird when we're talking about setting up, say, a free Espgaluda II next to our pay-to-play Espgaluda II. I don't want to say you shouldn't bring those games, since they have their console-specific modes and such, but I can't imagine people will choose to pay to play on the cab in that scenario? But then again if we have only a couple of consoles, a handful of arcade cabs, and 5-10 people (or more) show up, is it safe to assume everything will be getting played pretty evenly the whole time? Anyone else have any thoughts on this? I don't want to seem like I'm only in it for the money (if I were I would've bailed out long ago!) but I think it's something to keep in mind if we want to stay in the good graces of all the other people at PG and potentially make this a regular thing. A small spike in earnings would definitely go a long way toward making a case for a monthly/quarterly/whatever shmup gathering at the arcade. :)

As for fighters, IIDX etc I'd personally vote no only because it takes away from the focus of the gathering, even though we're all gamers and do cross over in various areas. I just don't think we're equipped to have this turn into a mini Sakuracon gaming room just yet. The back room is totally not an option right now either, sadly, as it's packed super-mega-full with cabinets and various store goods.

As a side note, does anyone have any spare new Seimitsu or Sanwa sticks on-hand that they'd be willing to sell me? I'm working on some new cabs now and it would help speed things up if I could just grab some parts locally. If things go well I could potentially end up adding at least a couple more candy cabs to the store before the meet, which would be perfect timing!
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

I think I've still got a couple of unused Sanwa JLF-TM-8Ts that I bought for a project on my old cab that I never got around to completing. Let me know if you're interested.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0