Sky Shark + XRGB2 + 60Hz LCD panel = snark

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Ed Oscuro

Sky Shark + XRGB2 + 60Hz LCD panel = snark

Post by Ed Oscuro »

With this combination I get long periods of complete blackout (2-3 seconds at a time) interspersed with moments of the demo being visible. Though I never was able to get a clear enough view to see if the graphics were perfect, they did seem correct, and the demo was playing; the board wasn't resetting. Not tested with a VGA CRT monitor from the XRGB2's output yet, though that should fix it. Was quite certain that the small JAMMA connector wasn't at issue.

Arasoi looked up the refresh rate, which is 54.877858 according to MAME. A bit surprised that would cause such drops, since it's less than the rate of the target device.

The other possibility that suggests itself is that I could have changed the horizontal sync rate wrongly, but I thought that would not allow any video output whatsoever.

Anyway, it'll probably be at least another day until I can check this. If anything seems blindingly obvious to the posters here, though, please share; otherwise it may be nothing to worry about.
DC906270

Re: Sky Shark + XRGB2 + 60Hz LCD panel = snark

Post by DC906270 »

the problem with LCD screens and non-60 hz frequencies being incompatible through the VGA input is a common problem. there have been numerous other people complain of similar, including me :cry:

theres no way to fix it, other than to maybe get around it by connecting to a different input if possible.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Rolling up some updates here:

The new issue is one I noticed on the LCD as well - Sky Shark (and this means all other games as well) have too much of a yellow tint. A reset didn't help, and I've fiddled with the blue and green levels (which only makes the picture too dark; don't see a way to lower red in addition to green to combat the yellow specifically).

I gave up for the moment on the Sony P992 - I'll have to look at it when I have enough time to thread wires between the thing's input panel directly and the ECS cable for dicking with the settings internally; the pins on the ECS cable are too many and in the wrong places.

Instead I found a nice NEC 17" flatscreen for only $4 - the MultiSync FE700+. There's a bit of turn-in at the very corners on the left, which the OSD controls can't fix (the curvature control starts affecting lines farther in and leaves the ones I'm trying to fix alone while the rest of the screen gets messy), but not enough to really be a problem.

I noticed the picture continuing to jump in and out with the CRT - I'll see flashes on the screen of Sky Shark's output when I start but then it makes the familiar sound of kissing or mice (or both) repeatedly, so I knew it was continually trying to change modes. Continually cycling through the inputs on the XRGB-2 finally causes the problem to go away; I'm not sure what the cause is but it is on the XRGB2 side that the problem lies. Maybe it's having trouble syncing with Sky Shark. When it finally connects and stops trying to send new modes to the display, everything looks absolutely accurate, (aside from the yellow tint). Maybe my XRGB2 could use some service? Between this issue and the power supply connection on the back of the unit being temperamental, it's a bit of a pain to deal with.
rolins

Post by rolins »

Gee I thought I was the only one. I have a japanese Sky Shark pcb that wigs out with blank screens on my XRGB2 + Samsung SyncMaster 953BW LCD. Pressing the "Select" button several times seems to get the picture back but its always crapshoot. I don't have any color issues like yours, but my biggest gripe is the upscaling cuts about 1 inch from one side the picture. It makes it real tough to play when I keep getting destroyed by tanks I just don't see coming. :(
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Perhaps a bit of topic, but what about Plasma TV's? Are they as picky as LCDs, better or worse? I have a Super Gun that I consider using on my Plasma, but only for horizontal games.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Rolins, I didn't notice any screen area missing, but I was just watching the demos, which seem right. I ought to test that out the soonest chance I get.
emphatic wrote:Perhaps a bit of topic, but what about Plasma TV's? Are they as picky as LCDs, better or worse? I have a Super Gun that I consider using on my Plasma, but only for horizontal games.
Since I have an XRGB-2, I've just been going to the local thrift, they seem to have some good flatscreen monitors in stock lately. Picked up a 17" NEC FE700+ last week and I'm thinking about a Dell m782p which has slightly better specs (higher refresh rate at the maximum resolution of 75Hz vs 66; otherwise identical specs-wise, maybe less fire retardant chemicals in the case though). Either has been only $2.99 before taxes, so it's a virtually guilt-free purchase. They may not compete with you plasma or LCD for screen real estate, but even upscaled the quality is so much better.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Duhhh, turns out the problem was dang simple, just me not ensuring all the color pots were at the same setting. Now all are at max intensity, picture looks good.

Although there is some readily apparent wiggling (or something) at the edges of columns and stuff, as if the border of each "pixel" is going back and forth along one row pixel to another. It's not really distracting but I do notice it. I've seen this on two CRTs, though both are native 1280 x 1024 CRTs. Soon I'm gonna try an older monitor that's closer to the 640x480 signal the XRGB2 is sending.
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

Ed Oscuro wrote: Although there is some readily apparent wiggling (or something) at the edges of columns and stuff, as if the border of each "pixel" is going back and forth along one row pixel to another. It's not really distracting but I do notice it. I've seen this on two CRTs, though both are native 1280 x 1024 CRTs. Soon I'm gonna try an older monitor that's closer to the 640x480 signal the XRGB2 is sending.
Maybe you'll find it better or worse with some displays, but unfortunately that is simply something you get with the XRGB2.
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Okay, if it's not a sign the unit is dying I can live with it.