Turbografx controller port

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Jeneki

Turbografx controller port

Post by Jeneki »

I haven't had much luck searching the web for Turbografx repair guides.

I have a North America model Turbografx, with the controller port that's about half an inch wide. The issue I'm having is the controller port only reads the controller if it's seated in one exact position. If I wiggle it even the smallest bit, which is easy to do since the cords are so short, the controller no longer functions. I have three controllers that all behave the same way, so I believe the issue is on the Turbografx end.

Any sites out there that cover this sort of issue? Any tips would be helpful.

I bought a tool to remove the screws and take the cover off, however it looks like the metal RF shield is soldered directly to the motherboard (wtf?) and covers the whole thing. I can only see the very front of the controller port.

Thanks!
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
iatneH

Re: Turbografx controller port

Post by iatneH »

The metal shield is a PITA but it is possible to remove it, I have done it before for an A/V port mod.

Your best bet is probably to use a solder vacuum to remove as much of the solder from each attachment point, and then to lift the shield away from the PCB while heating each point again, setting it back only after the solder has had enough time to cool and harden. You might end up bending the shield a bit in some places, but it's not a big deal.

Just have patience.

And after you've gone through all that trouble, you might as well do what you can to tap the video/stereo/RGB lines from the expansion port :)
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

Hopefully it's not as bad as one of mine. I have three broken TG-16 machines and one has the entire pcb, at the leg that leads to the controller port, broken off. It's a shame since it's the only one of the three that doesn't have video problems.
dpful

Post by dpful »

(I havn't seen one), can you see the pins inder the board (from the controller jack), or does the RF shield cover that? It seems like it would just be a crack in one of the solder joints in those. Really just the ground I suppose, if none of the buttons are working.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

The RF shield pretty much covers everything. I'll try removing the solder. Fun times.

Thanks everyone.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.