Controller discussion (from DS thread)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Jockel

Controller discussion (from DS thread)

Post by Jockel »

Square King wrote:
honorless wrote: get hype NTSC-U/C
Hype get! Might have to finally invest in a 360-compat stick now.
If you have a good PS2 stick you could also go the converter route.
StarCreator

Re: Death Smiles coming to North America [Cave 2007]

Post by StarCreator »

Jockel wrote: If you have a good PS2 stick you could also go the converter route.
As I just recently told a friend, from what I can tell, all methods of converting any controller format to 360 are not only expensive, but clunky, unreliable, and require doing silly things like plugging in a wired 360 controller to the adapter for the sole purpose of using its security chip.

The Hori EX-SE is no longer deeply discounted on Amazon but it's still worth a lot more than its price tag IMO.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

StarCreator wrote:
Jockel wrote: If you have a good PS2 stick you could also go the converter route.
As I just recently told a friend, from what I can tell, all methods of converting any controller format to 360 are not only expensive, but clunky, unreliable, and require doing silly things like plugging in a wired 360 controller to the adapter for the sole purpose of using its security chip.

The Hori EX-SE is no longer deeply discounted on Amazon but it's still worth a lot more than its price tag IMO.
pad hack....reliable as the PCB used and the skill of the modder....not difficult with minor soldering skills.....
Schrodinger's cat

Post by Schrodinger's cat »

jonny5 wrote:pad hack....reliable as the PCB used and the skill of the modder....not difficult with minor soldering skills.....
+1

Do what the man says! You can get a cheapo Madcatz 360 pad that you can gut for its PCB from Gamestop for less than $30 and dual-PCB mod it with a ps2 pad/stick (tutorial). You'll be set for a very long time.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

StarCreator wrote:
The XConverter360 is cheap, small, reliable and works great. It does require plugging in a wired 360 controller but I'd hardly call that an issue.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

StarCreator wrote:
While it is correct that you need the wired controller's security ship, everything else is BS.
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=27763
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Ghegs wrote:
StarCreator wrote:
The XConverter360 is cheap, small, reliable and works great. It does require plugging in a wired 360 controller but I'd hardly call that an issue.

You know, it didn't work well for me at all. I don't know if it's because I was using it with a Hori Pad(for the corded Xbox controller hook up), but I had to press really hard on the PS2 buttons for it to recognize that I was pressing them.
dmauro

Post by dmauro »

evil_ash_xero wrote:You know, it didn't work well for me at all. I don't know if it's because I was using it with a Hori Pad(for the corded Xbox controller hook up), but I had to press really hard on the PS2 buttons for it to recognize that I was pressing them.
Don't PS2 controllers have analog sensitivity on the face buttons? Must have something to do with that. Anyways, I would recommend trying with an official controller because using a third party controller with adapters can absolutely make a difference in whether or not the adapter works. You should try with a joystick at any rate since the buttons are simply on/off.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

dmauro wrote:Don't PS2 controllers have analog sensitivity on the face buttons?
*edit* Ignore, this is wrong *edit*

I remember that rumor, it was based on a game (don't remember which) that behaves differently when you hold a button for half a second versus a quick tap, giving the illusion of analog for "pushing harder". This rumor can easily be proven false by disassembling a PS2 controller and looking at the connections.

I've also noticed third party 360 controllers have issues with PS2 -> 360 converters. I picked up a bunch of NEC brand 360 controllers for a wiring project, because they have a common ground and were relatively cheap. When I tried using one of these as the 360 controller for a converter however, it didn't work at all at first, then had sporatic issues after many reseating attempts.
Last edited by Jeneki on Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Ghegs wrote:
StarCreator wrote:
I see it as an issue because it would mean purchasing a separate controller for the purpose of converting my existing PS2 controller to the 360 format.
msm

Post by msm »

Jeneki wrote:
dmauro wrote:Don't PS2 controllers have analog sensitivity on the face buttons?
I remember that rumor, it was based on a game (don't remember which) that behaves differently when you hold a button for half a second versus a quick tap, giving the illusion of analog for "pushing harder". This rumor can easily be proven false by disassembling a PS2 controller and looking at the connections.
i don't know how they work but am pretty sure they are analogue, some games use it.......had a quick look, not sure how reliable this info is:

http://www.gamesx.com/controldata/ps2pad.htm

i've been using one of the converters with a wired official 360 pad and a ps2 saturn pad - works perfectly apart from having to unplug/replug it to get it to be recognised at first, and the odd button layout.

great news on the DS localisation, hope it gets a pal release too :D
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Jeneki wrote: I remember that rumor, it was based on a game (don't remember which) that behaves differently when you hold a button for half a second versus a quick tap, giving the illusion of analog for "pushing harder". This rumor can easily be proven false by disassembling a PS2 controller and looking at the connections.

I've also noticed third party 360 controllers have issues with PS2 -> 360 converters. I picked up a bunch of NEC brand 360 controllers for a wiring project, because they have a common ground and were relatively cheap. When I tried using one of these as the 360 controller for a converter however, it didn't work at all at first, then had sporatic issues after many reseating attempts.
I know for a fact Dualshock 2 controllers have pressure sensitive face buttons - Wangan Midnight, for example, used it so that you could accelerate/brake at different strengths. (To get maximum acceleration, you had to push the button so hard that I couldn't stand to play the game for longer than 10 minutes before I switched to a Dualshock 1.)

And all the talk of issues with controller converters sorta proves my point on how many hoops you have to jump through to get a working setup - and in the end you would have been better off with a native 360 stick (or a pad-modded stick, if you're that technically inclined) and spent less for it. But if you have a setup that works already, nothing wrong with that.
Last edited by StarCreator on Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
kengou

Post by kengou »

PS2 controllers definitely have analog face buttons. Play Metal Gear Solid 3 and this is obvious. Many actions are dependent on how hard you press a button, and some actions (like putting away a gun in 1st-person view) require gently releasing the square button, because releasing it quickly would cause the gun to fire.
"I think Ikaruga is pretty tough. It is like a modern version of Galaga that some Japanese company made."
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Hmm, the first-party Dualshock2 has analog face buttons? Come to think of it, I've never used one of those for wiring; too expensive. You definitely have my curiosity perked now. Time to whip out the dissection kit. :wink:
sjoecool1991

Post by sjoecool1991 »

I actually have a VSHG right now, and I am planning on getting an adapter for it.
Personally, I like Sanwa parts more than Semitsu (considering I also play TGM, it's understandable), and I have always wanted to try to play shmups with a stick, since I always have played using a regular controller.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Jeneki wrote:Hmm, the first-party Dualshock2 has analog face buttons? Come to think of it, I've never used one of those for wiring; too expensive. You definitely have my curiosity perked now. Time to whip out the dissection kit. :wink:
Hope you use a controller in semi-bad shape or one that is already broken... every Dualshock 2 I've opened stopped working within a few weeks of reassembly. Broke a brand new controller before Best Buy's return period was up because I wanted to case swap.

But yeah, the original Xbox also had pressure sensitive face buttons (most evident in DOAX's pool hopping minigame, which was based on pressure instead of color like DOAX2's). The 360 dropped pressure sensitivity in all but the triggers though. But maybe this is a discussion for another thread...
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

evil_ash_xero wrote:You know, it didn't work well for me at all. I don't know if it's because I was using it with a Hori Pad(for the corded Xbox controller hook up), but I had to press really hard on the PS2 buttons for it to recognize that I was pressing them.
It's just you.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

I noticed this in some games, but disabling the analog (with a push of the analog button) fixed that, all the buttons work like digital ones then.

I also got my XConverter360 hooked to a third-party 360 wired controller (SFIV Fightpad) and a third-party PS2 controller (Hori Anashin 2) and the whole setup works fine. Of course if one doesn't already have a wired 360 controller it's more hassle and money to get everything working, but once everything's in place it's just as easy as plugging a controller to the system normally.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Jeneki

Re: Controller discussion (from DS thread)

Post by Jeneki »

Changing my sig, in honor of this topic.