DVDO for "modern" systems?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
evil_ash_xero

DVDO for "modern" systems?

Post by evil_ash_xero »

OK, so is this device good for Xbox 360 and PS3? Does it increase any lag? Does it have VGA output?

Thanks.
Fudoh

Re: DVDO for "modern" systems?

Post by Fudoh »

DVDO is a manufacturer, not a device. You can get a 2nd hand linedoubler from DVDO (iScan Pro) for under $100 or you can buy a VP50Pro for $3500 list price.

Let's assume you mean the Edge (mid-range scaler, about $750 retail). It does not have VGA, but it has a practically lagfree gamemode for old and new videogames. It has RGB, VGA component and HDMI inputs. Output is HDMI only. I have written an in-depth review of the unit on my website.

You cannot convert the Sony's HDMI signal to VGA because of the HDCP copy protection. Why are so keen to connect via VGA in the first place, when you can connect digitally via HDMI ??
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Fudoh wrote:DVDO is a manufacturer, not a device. You can get a 2nd hand linedoubler from DVDO (iScan Pro) for under $100 or you can buy a VP50Pro for $3500 list price.

Let's assume you mean the Edge (mid-range scaler, about $750 retail). It does not have VGA, but it has a practically lagfree gamemode for old and new videogames. It has RGB, VGA component and HDMI inputs. Output is HDMI only. I have written an in-depth review of the unit on my website.

You cannot convert the Sony's HDMI signal to VGA because of the HDCP copy protection. Why are so keen to connect via VGA in the first place, when you can connect digitally via HDMI ??
Well, honestly, I don't know much about this. And so far, VGA is the only thing that has given me relatively lag free gameplay.
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

Fudoh wrote: You cannot convert the Sony's HDMI signal to VGA because of the HDCP copy protection. Why are so keen to connect via VGA in the first place, when you can connect digitally via HDMI ??
http://www.hdfury.com/ :mrgreen:

I think it's because VGA is lagless (?), and SF4 players are crazy.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

It - again - depends on the TV set in use. My TV shows the very same behaviour with HDMI and VGA as long as it's in Gamemode. Other TVs might be faster on the VGA input than on the HDMI input. Some TVs are limited to PC resolutions though VGA though and will have hard time to display anything from a PS3...
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Well, i'm going to snag a XRGB3 soon, for my older systems, and whenever I decide to do something about my newer ones, i'll make sure to ask you. These new TVs are a pain. Thanks for all the help.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Well, i'm going to snag a XRGB3 soon, for my older systems, and whenever I decide to do something about my newer ones, i'll make sure to ask you. These new TVs are a pain. Thanks for all the help.
I wouldn't worry about them. 99,99% of all 360 and PS3 users just hook up their systems to their TV by HDMI and are happy about it. The scaling engines in nowadays TVs are pretty good, so don't see the need for postprocessing on 360/PS3.

What display are you looking at ?
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Fudoh wrote:
I wouldn't worry about them. 99,99% of all 360 and PS3 users just hook up their systems to their TV by HDMI and are happy about it. The scaling engines in nowadays TVs are pretty good, so don't see the need for postprocessing on 360/PS3.

What display are you looking at ?
Oh, i've tried a couple of LCDs. What bothers me is the lag, not the picture. The lag kills it for me. I can't play shmups worth a damn on them.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Yeah, we've gone over that, but given you get your XRGB-3, what display will you actually connect it to ?
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Well, I personally haven't bought a LCD TV yet. I'm just sorta setting things up for when I get one later in the year.

However, I would like to hook it up to my RCA HD CRT TV, and make my Saturn and Dreamcast look better on it.

Whenever I do get a flat panel television, i'll have to go over what's best for games.