Last Duel

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
Mero

Last Duel

Post by Mero »

"THIS IS A STORY OF TWIN PLANETS MU AND BACULA, FAR AWAY FROM OUR CONSTELLATION.
IN BACULA A TRIBE CALLED GALDEN UPROSE AND TOOK OVER THE CONTROL OF WHOLE PLANET. THE GALDEN TRIBES URGE FOR MORE POWER WAS AIMED AT SISTER PLANET MU ALSO.
THE GALDEN ORGANIZED HUGE ARMADA AND ATTACKED MU WITHOUT A WARNING, THEY HAVE CAPTURED AND ABDUCTED MU'S QUEEN SHEETA."

I couldn't find an existing thread for this game to post my score, so i might as well start one myself. 1 credit only, all defaults etc. Autofire is fine. EDIT: US and Japan versions now have a table each. Japan version is harder from what I can tell.

Scores submitted like this please:

Code: Select all

Name - Score - Stage reached 
US Version

1. Mero - 646,500 - ALL
2. Dale -  48,000 - 1-2 
Japan Version

1. Perikles - 465,900 - 2-4
Last edited by Mero on Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:45 am, edited 12 times in total.
Mero

Re: Last Duel - Interplanetary war 2012

Post by Mero »

Oh yeah i forgot, it'd be a good idea to post my score

Mero - 234,100 - 5 - On - PS2
Mero

Re: Last Duel - Inter Planet War 2012

Post by Mero »

No takers eh? Here's an improved score from me

Mero - 316,350 - 6 - On - PS2

Made it to what I assume is the final boss, I think the 1-ALL should be achievable with a bit more effort (he hopes)
Mero

Post by Mero »

1st loop clear GET!

Mero - 327,950 - 2-1 - On - PS2

I was a bit disappointed not to score higher, I reached the second loop with 2 lives in stock but lost them fairly quickly. Still, a momentous occasion nevertheless :mrgreen:

I'm not done with this game quite just yet
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Don't give up hopes of having more scores, I've got the PCB and want to give it some play one of these days.
Mero

Post by Mero »

Slight improvement

Mero - 351,350 - 2-1 - On - PS2

The 2-1 boss is gonna take some beating, he's hard

@Ed Oscuro: Whenever your ready mate, its a pretty decent game IMO
Mero

Re: Last Duel

Post by Mero »

<This post was in reply to a spam/shill account that has since been removed. -inc>

Well this isn't a discussion thread as such, but all I can tell you about Last Duel is that it came out in 1988 and it was the last arcade game Capcom released on their old 8-bit hardware before moving onto their CPS boards (their next arcade release was Lost Worlds/Forgotten Worlds).

If you want to find out if anyone else knows anything about the game you'd be better off starting a thread in the main section of the forum :)
Dale

Post by Dale »

Dale-48,000-2

I really hate the first level it just goes on too long. What other Capcom games were on this specific 8-bit hardware? This game sure doesn't look 8-bit.
I did great so much water and milk that I threw up when I was little.
yojo!

Post by yojo! »

Dale wrote: What other Capcom games were on this specific 8-bit hardware? This game sure doesn't look 8-bit.
It isn't an 8bits platform. It uses a 68000. Other games on the platform are Led Storm, Bionic Commando and Tiger Road. All great games...
Mero

Post by Mero »

yojo! wrote:
It isn't an 8bits platform. .
Just shows how much I know :lol:

Update
lgb

Post by lgb »

I think you could safely assume that around the time consoles started taking up 8 bits, arcades started taking up 16.
Mero

Post by Mero »

US version

Mero - 646,500 - ALL

Second pic is from the score tables you can access via the CCC2 main menu, it's a bit hard to make out the scores in the other pic.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Nice job on the ALL! I've got a super clean Last Duel pcb that I'd like to spend some time on, but I'm distracted by other games at the moment.

I agree that the first level is a bit too long for its own good, but it's not without its charms.
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Japan version

Perikles - 465,900 - 2-4

Man, the second loop in this version is incredibly cheap. You're constantly dealing with projectiles you can't see, in a quantity you can't deal with (especially when you run out of rolling capacities during the pure shmup stages). The Western version's second loop on the other hand seems to be nearly identical to the first loop of the Japanese version which was an astute choice.

I overall like this game, reminds me a lot of a console-exclusive from the same era, it also is strikingly similar to Formation Armed F during certain sections (stages 2 & 4) - both games were apparently released at about the same time, wonder if it was just a coincidence. My only real complaint (outside of the second loop) would be that later bosses, particularly the fifth one, become almost impossible to kill at high rank. It's no problem dealing with them after losing a life and you do get more than enough extends, yet it feels remarkably sloppy. I also would've rewarded players for getting past the racing stages with more time left on the clock, seems like an odd choice to implement it without it having any actual relevance.