Shmups on a crt

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
boss0033

Shmups on a crt

Post by boss0033 »

I have a 36 inch sony that I run all my pcb's from using a SG. I am screwed if I want to buy some vert. shmups? From what I understand, I would have to put my tv on its side to play these correctly. Since my tv weighs about 300 lbs. I will not even try to do this. Does this mean I am screwed in regards to playing vert. shmups or are there certain vert. shmups that will still play vert. without any rotation. This may be a very stupid question but I am brand new to the shmump scene.
drunkninja24

Re: Shmups on a crt

Post by drunkninja24 »

If you're trying to play them on a Supergun, then yes, you will need to rotate your TV to play appropriately. If you're playing on a normal console, they all work with the TV in horizontal mode by default.
Jack_from_BYOAC

Post by Jack_from_BYOAC »

Depending on the game you want to play there may be a console version with a pillarbox mode.

If that is unacceptable to you then I recommend finding a TV to dedicate to vertical mode. Used CRTs can be found cheaply these days.

You could also try playing your game in Yoko-tate mode.

To do this you will need to reorient the directions of your joystick by moving around the wires or switches so that right becomes up, left becomes down, up becomes left, and down becomes right.

In this way you can play a Vertical shmups like a horizontal one. This isn't for everybody. To be honest I completely hate it.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Or you could buy an NEC XM-29 RGB monitor and play your favorite arcade PCBs going that route. Tates really nice + it would be the same size RGB monitor found in 29" endowed candy cab. If you can attend a miltary surplus auction, sometimes you can pick up Sony professional RGB monitors quite cheaply for mere pennies on the dollar.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:Or you could buy an NEC XM-29 RGB monitor and play your favorite arcade PCBs going that route. Tates really nice + it would be the same size RGB monitor found in 29" endowed candy cab. If you can attend a miltary surplus auction, sometimes you can pick up Sony professional RGB monitors quite cheaply for mere pennies on the dollar.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
+1