Metal Black...

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!

What do you really think of Metal Black?

Crappy game.
22%
Average game.
28%
Decent game.
31%
Extremely underrated masterpiece game.
19%

Total votes: 36

Metal Black...

Post by Guest »

matt

Post by matt »

Since you're the only other one who's voted so far, it appears you think it's an underrated masterpiece.

(Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

I voted crap. IMO Metal Black is a Taito hardware experiment that somebody forgot to make fun.
jp

Post by jp »

Extremely underrated masterpiece. And I can say this with a 1CC of it under my belt. 8)
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!!
zinger

Post by zinger »

Awesome game. I'm glad I understand it ^__^
SheSaidDutch

Post by SheSaidDutch »

matt wrote:Metal Black is a Taito hardware experiment that somebody
I concur

medicore IMHO.
My Trying Not To
D

Post by D »

It's probably the rarest Saturn Shmup and therefore sought after.
And it's from Taito which makes it even more wanted.
Buy and sell is my advise.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

I voted for " extremely creative design, poor gameplay, but i adore it nonetheless, and let's not forget its was going to be a Darius game. It's also one of the sources of inspiration behind G.Darius and Border Down!"
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
jp

Post by jp »

D wrote:It's probably the rarest Saturn Shmup and therefore sought after.

I highly doubt that...
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

One of the rarer ones, in my experience, but not the rarest of all, I wouldn't think.

As far as the game itself goes, I only played it briefly in MAME some time ago, but I don't remember liking it all that much...though if it winds up on the upcoming PS2 Taito collection as it's supposed to maybe I can give it another chance, at a not-as-ridiculous-as-it-goes-for-on-Saturn price.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

i can't wait to get that Taito pack so i can play it at minimal cost. i like the way it looks.
I have no sig whatsoever.
zinger

Post by zinger »

captain ahar wrote:i can't wait to get that Taito pack so i can play it at minimal cost. i like the way it looks.
You'll get the nasy upscaled graphics with the ps2, though.

Post by Guest »

Isn't Gun Frontier for Saturn more rare? I don't see it anywhere for less than $70. I managed to get my Saturn Metal Black mint complete for $35.

Anyway, I see the opinions on the game are pretty divided. I think it's a pretty neat game, not only because of its psychadellic graphic effects, but also its moody, atmospheric feel. The levels are very inspiring and creative, everything from the desert wasteland in the first level to the dreary caves in level 4. The bonus stages are really neat, though they are a bit funny...heh. On top of all of that, the music soundtrack is very moody and emotional, which definitely adds alot to the feel of the game. Also, the bosses are rather unique and creative. I like the boss that breaks out of the moon, and the one that changes backgrounds as you damage him.(I really wish I knew the names of these bosses...)

I know, one of the biggest criticisms some people have of the game is that the power-up system is too simplistic or lacking in some way. However, I rather like the energy beam system, it makes the boss battles rather unique and very fun(A certain degree of personal satisfaction comes over you when you unleash blue death upon the boss). Also, the fact that you have limited firepower adds a certain element of strategy to the game, as in, you have to stick with good evasion techniques most of the time, and you have to know when to beam out at certain parts when the enemy traffic gets too high.

Anyway, if you really really don't want to wait for the Taito collection, and you're just itching to play the game, just download the MAME version, it actually plays pretty good on MAME.
jp

Post by jp »

Blast Wind, Hyper Duel, Time Bokohan, Twinkle Star Sprites, Image Fight/X-Multiply, Battle Garegga, Gun Frontier, Planet Joker, Terra Cresta 3D, Cotton Boomerang, and Dezaemon 2 are all more rare than Metal Black.
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

Don't blame the PS2. Blame lazy-ass/unthoughtful developers. The PS2 can fully support the unscaled graphics.
jp wrote:

I highly doubt that...
I second that. It was on my for sale list for like $25 for months. :)
zinger

Post by zinger »

GaijinPunch wrote:
Don't blame the PS2. Blame lazy-ass/unthoughtful developers. The PS2 can fully support the unscaled graphics.
Sorry, I wasn't really. Guess I just put it in a weird way.
black mariah
Banned User

Post by black mariah »

Just not good.
Blow up self to involve enemies.
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

Interesting how both "Gun Frontiers" were such influential games. As I recall Gun Frontier went on to influence several great Raizing vertical shmups, while "Gun Frontier 2" (aka Metal Black) went on to become the blueprint for G.Rev's next two horizontal shmups.
"Thunder Force VI does not suck, shut your fucking mouth." ~ Shane Bettenhausen
Frogacuda

Post by Frogacuda »

Averge and Decent are like the same thing. It's somewhere between decent and masterpeice. It's a very good game, with some great ideas, but was still slightly less than it could have been.
Tomtom

Post by Tomtom »

It's decent. There was a time when I was playing it quite a bit, but I haven't in a while. I like the actual stages, but the first-person view sections really throw the rhythm of the game off, if you ask me.
Lyle

Post by Lyle »

I like it a lot. I played it once in the arcade in 1992 and always had very precise memories of my game, until I could finally play it on MAME. I was surprised to see so much praise on the internet. Some say it's average at best. I find it quite good, full of rhythm and effects. My only concern is the number of ennemies that appear on the left of the screen. This game was obviously designed to be a quarter muncher.
Dragon God

Post by Dragon God »

It's a decent game for the time it was released, and it features one of Yack's best efforts IMO. The game is tough, but that was the norm in those days.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

I'd vote in something between average and crappy, but as there's no such option, I voted for average.

I think it's a very lousy, boring, badly designed game. It's still enjoyable at some points, but most of time I just can't get any fun from it.
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

I voted "average." It's not bad, but not great. I enjoy playing it now and again, but only occassionally. I feel the game has an awful lot of cheap deaths, but that might just be me.

And even though a lot of people have disputed it already...
WRONG. Very wrong. Metal Black not only got a re-release, but the original isn't all that hard to find either.