What's the best Xbox 360 Arcade Stick so far?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Lawfer

What's the best Xbox 360 Arcade Stick so far?

Post by Lawfer »

Back in 2007 there was the only one green/white crappy Hori stick... now there are tons of these. So which one is the best for Death Smiles, Mushihimesama 1.5 etc...?
Damocles

Re: What's the best Xbox 360 Arcade Stick so far?

Post by Damocles »

There are tons of variations of the HRAP...with Seimitsu hardware, even. Those are probably considered the best...outside of custom sticks.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Damocles wrote:There are tons of variations of the HRAP...with Seimitsu hardware, even. Those are probably considered the best...outside of custom sticks.
So... would you say that the Mushihimesama 1.5 stick is a good buy?
linko9

Post by linko9 »

Get an HRAP EX-SE. They're on sale for $90 on Amazon; an amazing deal. I got mine at 140 when they came out, and couldn't be happier. Uses all seimitsu parts, and trumps all other sticks I've ever played with.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

linko9 wrote:Get an HRAP EX-SE. They're on sale for $90 on Amazon; an amazing deal. I got mine at 140 when they came out, and couldn't be happier. Uses all seimitsu parts, and trumps all other sticks I've ever played with.
"Hori releases a specially branded Mushihimesama Futari Ver. 1.5 Real Arcade Pro EX Joystick which is based on the default Hori Real Arcade Pro SE EX but the case is colored green and the top of the stick features an image of Princess Reko and Palm against a leafy-green nature backdrop."

Glad to hear, then I'll get myself the Mushihimesama one which is basically the exact same thing (expect more expensive).
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

What? No it isn't. The Futari stick has Hori buttons with a Seimitsu stick. The EX-SE has Seimitsu everything.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Elixir wrote:What? No it isn't. The Futari stick has Hori buttons with a Seimitsu stick. The EX-SE has Seimitsu everything.
Okay so what is the difference gameplaying wise?
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

The way I roll:

Hori buttons are mushy crap.

Sanwa buttons are mushy oversensitive crap.

Seimitsu buttons are not mushy crap.

EX-SE all the way. I'm glad people can get them for $90... it beats the $200+ I spent importing the Japanese release nearly a year ago.
yyr

Post by yyr »

I'd been playing my 360 and PS3 fighting games on Hori Fighting Sticks, with all Hori parts, for over 2 years. Was perfectly satisfied, until one of the buttons on my 360 stick died. So when a friend unsuccessfully tried to repair it, I decided to upgrade to a HRAP EX-SE.

I had it shipped to work and couldn't wait until I got home, so on my lunch break I fired up Zero Gunner on my work PC. In an instant, all I could say was WOW. The buttons had a sturdier, yet more sensitive feel. They feel like they'll last forever as long as you're gentle enough, and they're just the right level of sensitive...enough so that you barely have to push for it to work, but not so sensitive that you'll do it by mistake.

The stick is the same way. You don't have to push it very far or very hard. It may seem too sensitive at first, but once you're used to it you'll feel like it's an extension of yourself. It works well for fighting games too.

Mushi Futari on 360 is great...but this stick makes it even better. I also bought an Acer 22" 1680 x 1050 LCD with rotation capability, because of Futari and Espgaluda II. Put them all together and you have a new kind of bliss. Looks amazing, plays like a dream. Worth every penny...

I would recommend the HRAP EX-SE to anyone who plays shmups and isn't afraid of dropping the money. If you are, just think of it this way...for a little over the price of one new game, ALL of your games will play better. And of course, like all other 360 controllers and joysticks, it'll work on your PC for all of your emulated shmups, too.

Side note: it is easier to mod a 360 stick to also work on PS3 than vice versa.
http://www.yyrgames.com
I exclusively make arcade-style games. Now available for Steam and Xbox =)
everlust

Post by everlust »

For sure the Hori Real Arcade Pro EX-SE, which can be found on Amazon for a meager $89.99. (It was 79.98 yesterday).

Absolute steal and definitely the best out of the box arcade stick for the 360 (The TE comes second for me), and no doubt one of the best sticks on the market.
yyr wrote:Mushi Futari on 360 is great...but this stick makes it even better. I also bought an Acer 22" 1680 x 1050 LCD with rotation capability, because of Futari and Espgaluda II. Put them all together and you have a new kind of bliss. Looks amazing, plays like a dream. Worth every penny...
Damn right! :D Since i had a dual monitor setup going for my PC for quite some time, i decided that one monitor (my 1680*1050 22" Samsung would get the rotation treatment). On this exact day, my copy of Mushi, shipped on the 25 came with the LCD mount i ordered, was extremely happy, just to find out that i ordered the wrong mount...one that didn't allow rotation. Just decided since i was using two monitors, I'd bolt this one on in portrait and have it in that layout permanently. And since i'm waiting on my SE copy of Mushi till i start playing, popped in Ikaruga, and damn, i've got a new love. The HRAP-EX SE which should be with me in Mid-Janurary will complete that. Can't wait.
Last edited by everlust on Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Lawfer wrote:
Elixir wrote:What? No it isn't. The Futari stick has Hori buttons with a Seimitsu stick. The EX-SE has Seimitsu everything.
Okay so what is the difference gameplaying wise?
Seimitsu sticks have a quicker response when moving them, in comparison to Sanwa sticks. Sanwa buttons are more responsive in comparison to Seimitsu buttons.

All up it's personal choice. I would recommend finding arcades in your area. The operator should know the difference for you to test them out with.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
Cuilan

Post by Cuilan »

yyr wrote:I'd been playing my 360 and PS3 fighting games on Hori Fighting Sticks, with all Hori parts, for over 2 years. Was perfectly satisfied, until one of the buttons on my 360 stick died.
Yours lasted a lot longer than mine. The buttons on mine started to wear out after only a few months of constant shmupping. Hori buttons are terrible.
everlust wrote:For sure the Hori Real Arcade Pro EX-SE, which can be found on Amazon for a meager $89.99. (It was 79.98 yesterday).
I'd love to get myself one of those, especially at that price. But it would be much cheaper to mod the stick I have now. Too bad the EX-SE sticks weren't released (and at that price) before I bought an EX2.
:lol:
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

What are the differences between the EX-SA and the EX-SE?

linko9

Post by linko9 »

Wow, I didn't know the SA was released for the 360. The SA contains all SAnwa parts, and the SE contains all SEimitsu parts (clever, huh?).
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

What about this one?

It's pretty new too:

Lynx Winters

Post by Lynx Winters »

I do just fine with my Madcatz TE. People seem to have issues with Sanwa buttons being too responsive but I don't have any issues with it.
core

Post by core »

I have an EX2 and it is pretty shit but luckily I am pretty shit at games too so it suits me well!
agustusx

Post by agustusx »

My Hori with hori buttons died very quickly, My EX-SE is so good I ordered a second one when the price dropped to 89.99.
angrycoder

Post by angrycoder »

I've had 2 Hori RAPS and I just hate the form factor and what a pain in the ass it is to take apart. I absolutely love my SF4 TE stick. Great form factor, sturdy build, easy to take apart, and I love the built in cord storage compartment.

Modded it with a Semitsu stick and 3 Seimitsu buttons and I've never looked back.
Cuilan

Post by Cuilan »

Lawfer wrote:What about this one?

It's pretty new too:
Unfortunately, it is all-Hori parts (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). A real shame too, since the exterior looks so nice.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Can someone tell me if this soon to be released stick is using Hori button and sticks?

http://www.hori.jp/items/detail.php?id=857

http://www.horistore.com/shop/item_detail.php?id=857
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Cuilan wrote:
Lawfer wrote:What about this one?

It's pretty new too:
Unfortunately, it is all-Hori parts (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). A real shame too, since the exterior looks so nice.
Thanks, I am asking to proceed as a way of elimination, so far the EX-SE is on top of my list. But I might wait for the HARP V 360 version if it turns out to be using good sticks on buttons and if it is ever released for this console (hori seem to be boycotting the 360 since the VX nor the new HARP V are listed as being released on their website.)
Cuilan

Post by Cuilan »

Lawfer wrote:Can someone tell me if this soon to be released stick is using Hori button and sticks?

http://www.hori.jp/items/detail.php?id=857

http://www.horistore.com/shop/item_detail.php?id=857
That one is all-Sanwa.
lemonade

Post by lemonade »

If you have time and patience, buy a cheap xbox360 pad from ebay and make a stick out of it yourself like I did :) . In my opinion it doesn't get much better than this. A stick with all-Seimitsu parts cost me about 75$ (+ all the time I had to put on it but that was part of the fun of course).
Last edited by lemonade on Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Lawfer wrote:hori seem to be boycotting the 360 since the VX nor the new HARP V are listed as being released on their website
...because they don't exist yet.

Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Elixir wrote:
Lawfer wrote:hori seem to be boycotting the 360 since the VX nor the new HARP V are listed as being released on their website
Yeah they do:

Here they are:

You can that those are the 360 models, whilst the PS3 models are black in colour.

Yet these 2 models are being released for the PS3, while the 360 versions ones seem to have been completly fogotten...
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Moved to Hardware.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Lawfer wrote:
Elixir wrote:
Yeah they do:
Those are just showcase models. These things have not even been released to the public yet. The VX comes out in February.

Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Elixir wrote:Those are just showcase models. These things have not even been released to the public yet. The VX comes out in February.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%83%9B%E3%83 ... 522&sr=1-1

This is great, I might hold up until the Pro V comes out for the 360.

Okay so from what I understand, Sanwa parts are better for Fighting games whil Seimitsu parts are better for shoote em ups, is that correct?