Hikaru board / Planet Harriers

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
jase25

Hikaru board / Planet Harriers

Post by jase25 »

Hi,

I've just purchased Planet Harriers and control panel.

First thing is im a bit confused about the power supply units. I've found one suitable for the hikaru system and the spec states 'Input: 100 - 120V~ 3A'. Does this mean I need a step down transformer to use the system? (im in the UK)

Secondly the Hikaru unit has a VGA output. So can I connect the Hikaru unit straight to a VGA compatible monitor?

Any hints/tips/advice would be very much appreciated as all this is new to me, up until now i've just owned a supergun and jamma boards.

Thanks,

Jason
Dave_K.

Re: Hikaru board / Planet Harriers

Post by Dave_K. »

Congrats Jason, I own a planet harriers as well. The power supply used is the same for Naomi systems, which requires 3.3v (go here for more details). You shouldn't have any problem finding one of these. I don't know how people in the UK normally setup their naomi systems, but this power supply probably runs off the cabinet mains which is typically on a stepdown converter in the UK. The sega-naomi forum people can help you best here.

Yes you can hook the motherboard straight to a VGA monitor. Unlike the Naomi however, the Hikaru can only switch between high resolution (31khz default) and medium resolution (24khz) via the operator setup menus, there is no external dip switch for setting this.

Also the motherboard outputs quad stereo, so you can just combine both left and rights for normal stereo and run to your own audio amp.

Best of luck.
jase25

Re: Hikaru board / Planet Harriers

Post by jase25 »

Hi there Dave. Thanks very much for the info, its much appreciated!

I've been wanting to play this game for years, ever since I first saw pics of the game in UK's Edge magazine. I can't wait for it to arrive.

The metal case was removed from the Hikaru board by the seller and shipped separately to help safeguard the PCB during shipping. Fingers crossed its all working when it turns up.

It doesn't sound quite as complicated to set up as I had previously thought so thats all good.

Thanks again for the info Dave!