New Japanese cabinets and shmups

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
brentsg

New Japanese cabinets and shmups

Post by brentsg »

I own one dedicated cabinet that I bought brand new from a local distributor. It's accompanied by two candy cabs that are both in very good condition, especially considering that they spent the majority of their time in a Japanese game center of some sort. Both Japanese cabs work great and are fairly clean inside and out, but regardless of how much cleaning I've done, or do in the future.. there will still always be a big difference between the cab I purchased new and the others.

So my question is this.. assuming unlimited funds, what Japanese cabs are still in production that are suitable for shmup games? I see that a few folks have imported Vewlix and the like, and they seem excellent for newer fighting games. But what is currently available that will accommodate horizontal and vertical modes, have no latency issues, and look proper for both 15kHz and 31kHz shmups?

And yeah the price issue is actually huge, but it's worth throwing out just for purposes of the discussion.

Thanks
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
cools

Re: New Japanese cabinets and shmups

Post by cools »

Still in production? LCD only.
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

So in other words, nothing is suitable.. bummer.
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
cools

Post by cools »

Bingo.

Best bet for your requirements is either a Net/New Net City (tri-sync Naomi) or a Blast City. You could also go for an Egret 3/AWSD.

AndyGeezer (Sega Shed) actually has a couple of brand new tri-sync Naomis available at the moment at a bargain price...
cody

Post by cody »

Yeah, you want a naomi universal of some kind - net city, new net city. Tri-sync and easy to rotate. One of the hk distributors was advertising a container full of factory fresh new nets earlier this year, so its still remotely possible.
elvis

Post by elvis »

Plenty of Chinese and Korean cabinets out there still in production sporting CRTs.

The build quality is nowhere near as good as the Japanese cabs, but the prices are also a fraction. IMHO most of the non-Japanese cabs are fine for home use. I wouldn't site them as an arcade operator, but at home they look the business and perform nicely.
captpain

Post by captpain »

elvis wrote:Plenty of Chinese and Korean cabinets out there still in production sporting CRTs.

The build quality is nowhere near as good as the Japanese cabs, but the prices are also a fraction. IMHO most of the non-Japanese cabs are fine for home use. I wouldn't site them as an arcade operator, but at home they look the business and perform nicely.
Out of curiosity, why not? Just because the beating they'd take in an arcade would be too much?
SuperPang

Post by SuperPang »

And because the cheap components break after prolonged use.