Giga Wing

Plasmo

Re: Giga Wing

Post by Plasmo »

Amazing find! Thanks very much for sharing! :D

Good luck on your 200trillion score, you'll get it eventually!
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
toby

Post by toby »

Yes great find, one of the best replays I've seen. Never imagined you could get that kind of multiplier from the first stage (9.68 :shock: ), and that he plays the 4th boss for score only and not multiplier :?. Stage 5 is insane, looks like 4800 before the midboss and 7400 before the boss.

Do you know how he skips "firedrill-pattern" around 171s on stage 6 third_strike? I've tried just shooting at the center like he does but that part still appears, could it have something to do with leaving the guns at the wings alive? (I usually kill the right one)
The 4th boss is the easiest of all for me, as long as I'm playing with Ruby. :)
Mostly I beat him with 69/70 seconds left.
He becomes one of the most difficult if you milk him.
Third_strike 182'4145'8843'0220 Stuck ALL
Recorded the shame this time Inp for WolfMaMe 106: http://rapidshare.com/files/339078623/gwingj.rar.html Tips is welcome.
I've watched it, very well done, I could almost keep up with you the first four stage but your stage 5 is way better than I've ever gotten.
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

toby wrote:
The 4th boss is the easiest of all for me, as long as I'm playing with Ruby. :)
Mostly I beat him with 69/70 seconds left.
He becomes one of the most difficult if you milk him.
I know what you mean, but at this point in the game I just don't care about milking anymore.
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

Indeed, nice find. Thanks third_strike! :)
Just watching it right now.

I also started playing again. Some really shitty runs, but one month is simply too long ago... so that´s natural.
Unfortunately my Dreamcast reboots more and more frequently and nothing really helps against it. :(

@ crithit5000
Since Wolfmame 106 somehow doesn´t work for me... I´d like to ask to if you could make a real video file out of third_strike's Isha inp replay, for Youtube or an Upload platform or whatever. I think you offered or planned something like that some time ago.
third_strike

Post by third_strike »

Do you know how he skips "firedrill-pattern" around 171s on stage 6 third_strike? I've tried just shooting at the center like he does but that part still appears, could it have something to do with leaving the guns at the wings alive? (I usually kill the right one)
This seems be really important and the player know what this boss will shoot
he plays the 4th boss for score only and not multiplier
This seems because Reflect force in right time. The safe spot in heart is nice too.
Since Wolfmame 106 somehow doesn´t work for me...
I will try send to you the necessary for run the INP later.
Amazing find! Thanks very much for sharing! :D
Good luck on your 200trillion score, you'll get it eventually!
I nice thing is now I don't need care too much about score now because I have new things for memorize :D

Let watch this again now. :)
Cool!
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

Battletoad wrote:I also started playing again. Some really shitty runs, but one month is simply too long ago... so that´s natural.
Unfortunately my Dreamcast reboots more and more frequently and nothing really helps against it. :(
As soon as I bought mine I had the same problem.
It's really annoying. Imagine having a perfect GW run and at stage 7 the console reboots? I would'nt want to go through that...
I heard somewhere that it's got to do with overheating and the consequential squeezing of some inside parts of the console.

After I modded it myself this rebooting problem was gone forever, not because of the mod itself, but because I opened it and probably altered the tightening of the boards and circuitry.
crithit5000

Post by crithit5000 »

@ crithit5000
Since Wolfmame 106 somehow doesn´t work for me... I´d like to ask to if you could make a real video file out of third_strike's Isha inp replay, for Youtube or an Upload platform or whatever. I think you offered or planned something like that some time ago.
I haven't forgotten this or anything, I've just been lacking free time lately. I'll see if I can get this started this weekend.
now tighter than your sister
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

Kollision wrote:It's really annoying. Imagine having a perfect GW run and at stage 7 the console reboots? I would'nt want to go through that...
Woh pure horror :shock:
I´m glad something like that hasn´t happened yet.

@ Superplay
I don´t really understand what he does on the stage 4 boss. In the 2nd watch I saw how many points he gets for the reappearing small parts, but why doens´t he try to destroy him near the end? Would the boss destruction bonus be smaller than the points for the parts he destroys...?
third_strike

Post by third_strike »

É ruim que eu não faço duzentão nessa porra hein! :twisted:
Third_strike 203'2247'3953'9870 Stuck ALL
INP: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=H12TM1GV
- 3 days without even reach the stage 6 I have not mind for dodge the last pattern in stage 7, then I bombed.
- This was my best multiplier progression so far.
- Stage 5 was no too good but acceptable.
- Barelly # 20.
Cool!
Smraedis

Post by Smraedis »

Nice one third_strike, you are great!
The Unknown? I'm the one who knows!
My shmup achievements | and my Superplays!
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

A small step for mankind, but a great step for the western Shmups community. ;)
Congrats third_strike!
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

É isso aí, garoto!
Congrats indeed!! :D
Dragoforce

Post by Dragoforce »

Awesome!
Swedish shmup community - stgfan.com
Do not be afraid...
toby

Post by toby »

Congratulations! That's a sick highscore. I will try to beat it sometime though, but it's gonna be a while.
third_strike

Post by third_strike »

Thanks to all, This would not be possible without your collaborations.
Congratulations! That's a sick highscore. I will try to beat it sometime though, but it's gonna be a while.
Now with the new Ruby run you don't need change to Stuck in order of do this. Indeed I guess play whit Ruby more fun than play with Stuck.

And I found this in strategy guide for this game: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=4749
third_strike wrote:What is point-blank?
Cool!
LOL

Cool!
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

Dreamcast version

Kollision - 52'4689'1972'2250 - Ruby - ALL

I could've scored higher, but I fucked up on my strategy for the Volcano stage. :(
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

Kollision wrote:Dreamcast version

That´s an insane improvement. :shock:
How long have you played it this time?
Congrats on the ALL, too... I´d say it´s quite hard in the Dreamcast version. I´d be glad to reach stage 7.
third_strike

Post by third_strike »

Kollision wrote:Dreamcast version

I could've scored higher, but I fucked up on my strategy for the Volcano stage. :(
Congratulatios for all and for score in harder version, I wonder how hard stage 5 need be in this version!
I returned for my jod this week and I am any days without play the game because I have not eletric energy after 10:00 PM, this is when I can play. Nothing can be more ridicolus than this.
Cool!
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

Thanks, guys. :)

@ Battletoad
I actually played it a lot when I got it 2 years ago, but never beat it. This past Christmas I practiced the 6th boss, and a couple of weeks ago I thought it was time to give the Stranger what he truly deserved. :twisted:
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

Well, my Dreamcast really seems to be dying, so I´m switching over to Mame for now. And I really gotta say, it´s like a completely different feeling. It should be no serious problem to reach stage 7, if I spend enough time.

Just something to start with:
Battletoad - 19'6161'8641'1240 - 6 - Isha - Mame

It´s just once again that I´d like to play too many shooters at the same time, but I have to force myself to focus on like 2 of them. Probably Giga Wing is one of them since the slowdowns in the Arcade version are some serious motivation now. :P

@ third_strike
Don´t you have a Dreamcast? If you do, Giga Wing should not be expensive or hard to get. If not, well... then forget about it. ;)
I´d just be interested in what you could pull off in the Dreamcast version.
crithit5000

Post by crithit5000 »

Scoreboard updated.

I recently dug out my DC to play some GW in non-emulated form (and to weep over how bad the cinematics and hub stations in Sonic Adventure are), and it's definitely the manly way to play the game. I found it a little amusing the game "fakes" (is it fake?) slowdown just a very minute tad during heavier Reflect Force barrages. The port is made even more manly by what seriously has to be the worst remixed soundtrack ever heard. I mean, I almost fell over in hysterics when I heard the boss theme in all it's "BAH-BAH-BAH BUH-BAH-BAH BAH-BAH-BAH" glory. That's an abomination of a soundtrack, and makes the original (a soundtrack I hate) look like mankind's greatest achievement. No wonder why the DC version's high score list here is about a third of the arcade/MAME list.
now tighter than your sister
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

Don´t know if it is fake slowdown, I guessed not, but who knows...
crithit5000 wrote:The port is made even more manly by what seriously has to be the worst remixed soundtrack ever heard. I mean, I almost fell over in hysterics when I heard the boss theme in all it's "BAH-BAH-BAH BUH-BAH-BAH BAH-BAH-BAH" glory. That's an abomination of a soundtrack, and makes the original (a soundtrack I hate) look like mankind's greatest achievement. No wonder why the DC version's high score list here is about a third of the arcade/MAME list.
Oh my god, I totally agree with you except for the part that I like the Arcade soundtrack very much. My first contact with Giga Wing was a video of the Arcade version which I watched and I was SO disappointed when I had to hear how they fucked up in the Dreamcast version. Stage 1, 7 and the boss theme are my favourites and really push me forward, but they are no more any good on the home port. What the hell... At least one track which was kind of bad in the Arcade version got improved on the Dreamcast: stage 5.

"Manly" is a good description by the way... :mrgreen:
although Mars Matrix is still much manlier (if that´s even a word).
third_strike

Post by third_strike »

Battletoad wrote: @ third_strike
Don´t you have a Dreamcast? If you do, Giga Wing should not be expensive or hard to get. If not, well... then forget about it. ;)
I´d just be interested in what you could pull off in the Dreamcast version.
My DC is dead now, sorry. But can say in 90% of my runs I lose in two first stages, playing in one harder version I would lose even more, I guess :?
Cool!
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

Battletoad wrote:Well, my Dreamcast really seems to be dying, so I´m switching over to Mame for now. And I really gotta say, it´s like a completely different feeling. It should be no serious problem to reach stage 7, if I spend enough time.
*lol* Or even without much time. ^^

Don´t really understand how that happened, but anyways:
Battletoad - 32'2615'7155'2560 - Isha - Stage 7 - Mame

And that after I was so angry at myself at the beginning of this run... Had my stupidest death ever in Giga Wing (and that´s saying a lot... :lol: ) when I collided with the Air Carrier boss. I could have had 8 million multiplier after stage 2, but so it didn´t work out. But from that point on it worked out pretty well. I still had 1 life (and no bombs) after stage 5, but I totally screwed up 5´s time bonus. That´s why I only had 16 trillion points after this stage. Then the amazing and unbelievable happened when I defeated the stage 6 boss no miss no bomb. The whole first part seems to be almost easy with the slowdowns, but I hadn´t expected to survive the cube. I had some raw memory of the Stranger, but it still was pure luck how I survived him that long. Then I died... then reflected and bombed carefully (not even real panic bombing). I had expected him to be dead after that, but somehow he still had some tiny amount of energy and killed me. I guess it´s because Ruby does more damage in close range and Isha doesn´t. Another maximum 5 seconds and I would´ve had the ALL, but maybe that would have been too much luck. Many of Stranger´s previous attacks nearly got me. And I´m very happy for now. :D

Unfortunately I didn´t look up the multiplier near the end. After stage 5 it was 13 million and at the end probably between 16 and 18 million. Especially my medal collecting in stage 5 sucks, that´s where´s still the most potential.

third_strike

Post by third_strike »

Battletoad wrote:
Battletoad wrote:it gives me an additional goal: to attain the best Isha score on the board.
It is pretty close now, don't stop.
Cool!
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

Huh something wrong with my eyes? :P
I already have it. I mean you scored a lot higher with Isha and many others could as well, but on the list I´m the highest Isha now. ;)

And don´t worry, I won´t stop now. I think 40 trillion would be cool, but at the moment I can´t imagine at all to get over 50... unless I figure out how to beat the stage 5 boss insanely fast which should be a problem without Ruby or Stuck. We´ll see...

EDIT: And I must get much better bomb bonusses. Didn´t get any here after stage 5 and 6.
third_strike

Post by third_strike »

32'2615'7155'2560
31'2803'7356'9340

I was looking for this numbers, LOL.
Cool!
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

Battletoad - 33'3361'7853'3440 - Isha - Stage 7 - Mame

Not a great improvement, I´m just posting this because of the nice number and because the run turned out better than yesterday. I had expected a slightly better score because the multiplier was higher and I finished stage 5 with a much better time bonus. I had no lives lost when I entered stage 7, the problem was that I once again had no bombs left after stage 5 and 6. A death at the end of stage 6 would´ve been better. ;)
The stranger really crushed me this time.

Well I gotta try to spare more bombs at the beginning. Most often I use one or two bombs in stage 3 (train or boss) and also in stage 4 (while collecting the medals that fall out of the gate and somewhere in all the boss milking).

EDIT: Here are my pictures of the Dreamcast scores, just by the way.

Arcade

Score Attack
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
third_strike

Post by third_strike »

I am ready for 3rd strike.
Third_strike 205'3015'3199'0560 Stuck ALL
Cool!
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

@ third_strike
Any idea how many potential there´s still for you?

@ topic
Oh my god, I did it!! :D :D :D

Battletoad - 40'6487'2830'0200 - Isha - ALL - Mame

But not even a spot up, eh?
I play well through stage 5 and 6 suprisingly consistent. This time at least bonus for one bomb after both of them and even two bombs after stage 7. I could finally kick Stranger´s butt and I indeed only used one bomb and lost one life on him. Final multiplier was 15.4 million, was a bit ruined by a rather stupid death in the middle of stage 6. The time bonusses were quite standard (for me), 30-40 seconds in stage 5 and 70-80 in stage 6. I won´t stop playing yet. There should still be some room for improvements... regarding multiplier, bomb bonusses and general risk-taking.

ImageImage

What the hell, the scoreboard doesn´t even distinguish ALL and stage 7?

PS: When posting my photos I forgot to post an old and slight improvement for stage 4 Score Attack:
Battletoad - 118'8274'2738'8380 - Isha