Battle Garegga (ARC/SAT/PS4/XBONE)

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
chum

Re: Battle Garegga *newer*

Post by chum »

STGweekly inspired me to play a credit (well... two, since I game overed on stage 1 first) but me and Gain just can't seem to get along so I went back to sexy Miyamoto. Tried milking BH MK2 and did such a poor job. Enemies before Glowsquid didn't drop any option items. The timeout was probably inevitable anyway. That's my excuse for not clearing, even though there shouldn't be an excuse to not clear with Miyamoto since he makes the game pretty easy.

9,206,200 - chum - 7 - Miyamoto (C)

http://www.mediafire.com/?ce7fevvuetmex3a
chum

Post by chum »

A,367,590 - chum - 7 - Miyamoto (C)

5 lives for BH MK2 and didn't even get to Glowsquid this run. Fucking fail!

But hey, letter score without Gain.
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

Grats!
I welcome you to the letter train. :)
moozooh wrote:I think that approach won't get you far in Garegga.
Image Image
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Okay. It's been a very long time since I've played this seriously, so let's get back to some kind of decency.

5,298,520 - Icarus - Bornnam (ABC) [GareggaMAME v0.90.03]

Image Image

Spent an age today trying to get something set up to play on. I no longer own a Saturn, or the PCB version. ShmupMAME 3.0b won't even load, and ShmupMAME 4.2 has a billion frames of input lag, so I needed an alternative. I'd prefer to wait until I find a PCB for a decent price before I go that route, so as a last resort, I tracked down an old install of GareggaMAME.

And it is perfect. Almost.

Hardly any noticeable input lag, and very smooth. The only issue is that it seems to like staying in 16:9 aspect ratio even though I am trying to tell it not to, which is annoying as a stretched-out Garegga looks kinda weird, but whatever. I can live with this for now. At least I can get used to using a stick with this now.

As for the run, dropped medals halfway through stage 3, just after the medal tracks, and had to rebuild them through the stage. Mistimed a little dodge through the fourth boss' spinny bullet pattern and died twice in a row while milking torpedoes, otherwise could have been on for something decent in stage 5. I was also 400k short off the flamingos.
Last edited by Icarus on Thu May 02, 2013 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

Welcome back.
Image Image
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

First credit of the day.

8,844,140 - Icarus - Stage 6 - Bornnam (ABC) [GareggaMAME v0.90.03]

Image Image

Didn't milk as many torpedoes as I would have liked to, as I took a hit by accident and had to conserve the last life. Safe play on Nose Laughin 2, a bit of luck on Mad Ball 2, some shrapnel missed on the Black Heart Carrier, and eventually ran out of steam before the wall in stage 6. Think I ended stage 5 with about 8.5mil, though on my best runs a long time ago, I was almost at 10mil starting stage 6.

I'm so not used to playing this game with a stick, but I'm getting there. Slowly.
Eaglet wrote:Welcome home.
Fixed. ^_-
Softdrink 117

Post by Softdrink 117 »

New personal best. I've made it as far as the turret wall on one credit, but this is my highest overall score at the moment.

6,702,720 - Softdrink 117 - Stage 5 - Golden Bat

1CC List | youtube | twitch
I love Ibara.
jepjepjep

Post by jepjepjep »

Nice job softdrink!

Here's a new score for me. I was so close to a letter score and so close to a clear. I started to get nervous during the last phase of glow squid. My adrenaline is still pumping.

JEP - 9,699,780 - Stage 7 - Gain (C)

Softdrink 117

Post by Softdrink 117 »

Damn! That must have been frustrating. Awesome job though-- you're definitely going to hit both soon!
I love Ibara.
jepjepjep

Post by jepjepjep »

Exhilarating more than frustrating! I made a lot of little mistakes so getting this close was a good feeling.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

9,141,440 - Icarus - Stage 6 - Bornnam (ABC) [GareggaMAME v0.90.03]

Image Image

Killed Satanic Surfer two torpedo cycles too early. Killed Mad Ball 2 before I had a chance to shoot down the inner set of turrets (ended that battle with 7.7mil, could have been 8.5mil). Took a hit on Black Heart and lost the spare extend. Dropped medals at the blimps on stage 6. And then the turret wall took me out. Nothing like a comedy of errors.

Starting to regain some sharpness, primarily because I've changed the way I hold my SFIV TE joystick while playing (for hand comfort), and primarily because I just needed to get used to the stick for this game. Just need to cut out the stupidity throughout the runs, and maybe I can then make inroads into stage 6 and 7. I've had to revise my tactics for both Mad Ball and v2 for consistency, and it seems to be paying off, though I still need to get a better average off the flamingoes (currently at 1.65mil, usually should be 1.95mil or higher).
pestro87

Post by pestro87 »

6,379,570 - pestro87 - Stage 5 - Golden Bat
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

Keep on trucking Gangsta. :wink:
Make sure you get to the eastern capital in July. We could make shit go down!
Image Image
pestro87

Post by pestro87 »

Eaglet wrote:Keep on trucking Gangsta. :wink:
Make sure you get to the eastern capital in July. We could make shit go down!
:D Feels good to be playing this again! Last time I played Garegga was probably around the time when we played it at Motaro, haha. I will definitely keep on playing 8) Such an awesome game! And it's about time that I stop sucking at it, haha.

That'd be awesome man but I doubt that I'll be able to make it unfortunately... But I will be back in Sweden some time by the end of July for a couple of weeks. I haven't booked a flight yet but I'll let you know when I do!
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

pestro87 wrote: That'd be awesome man but I doubt that I'll be able to make it unfortunately... But I will be back in Sweden some time by the end of July for a couple of weeks. I haven't booked a flight yet but I'll let you know when I do!
Cool. Think i'll have some weekends off by then...
But seriously; you need to go to Japan before all of the awesome game centers close down. Strike while the iron's hot etc.
Image Image
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

9,409,950 - Icarus - Stage 6 - Bornnam (ABC) [GareggaMAME v0.90.03]

Hadn't played it since the last scorepost as I was quite busy, but since Friday is a day off from everything now, I spent a bit of time sorting out my Twitch stream with some help from Smraedis, endokarb, and many others. Also got some hours of practice in, and quite satisfied with some progress today.

This one was a bit of a mess in places. A few mistakes here and there, speedkilled Mad Ball 2 after the outer turrets were bombed, and flapping around in other places, but got to Black Heart with just over 8.9mil, and took a good chance at stage6, only to fail horribly trying to protect Medals after the triple gunner planes before the blimps. Then a blind bullet took me out at the blimps.

Run was recorded live on Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/icarusfw/c/2297181

I hit over 8.5mil a number of times today, and hit 9.4mil twice. Got past the turret wall a couple of times as well, but I need more consistency before I can make any more progress.
pestro87

Post by pestro87 »

7,206,730 - pestro87 - Stage 6 - Golden Bat
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Back in the letters.

A,181,800 - Icarus - Stage 6 - Bornnam (ABC) [GareggaMAME v0.90.03]

Took a week out to rest and work on the Special Demonstrations, but had a bit of time to play yesterday. Had a number of really good runs of between 8.5 - 9.8mil interspersed with some godawful runs filled with idiocy. Main difference with this run is that I am using safe strats on both Nose Laughin 2 and Mad Ball 2, still not attempting to get the medal rails yet, and didn't get much from the birds this time around. Also, dropped a medal partway into stage6 after the wall, and could have had far more if I had paid attention when Junkey Monkey turned up, as it shot me point-blank with a missile spray as I was dodging something.

Run is on Twitch:
http://www.twitch.tv/icarusfw/c/2336912

Next stop: stage 7.
bkk

Post by bkk »

Stage six. A lot of people say it's difficult, but they're just mistaken.

8,780,100 - bkk - Stage 6 - Black Zeppelin [GareggaMAME v0.90.03]
bkk

Post by bkk »

PLASMO says this guy looks like a toilet, but I think he doesn't. He looks more like a mail sorting robot.

9,674,680 - bkk - Stage 6 - Black Zeppelin [GareggaMAME v0.90.03]
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Good job! I need to play Garegga again and hang out with the cool people.

This damn Donpachi game is wasting my time.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
chempop

Post by chempop »

Been a while since I've played this but I got a new personal best with Gain. Two very pathetic deaths ended my run against the turret wall, very frustrated because my decent runs usually get past the big lasers and if I'm lucky past the tank spewers.

-EDIT!!- Very next run went even better and I died right before stage 6 boss like a tool. This time I didn't have homing options during stage 6 because I turned them off against Black heart in order to kill him fast and keep rank lower. I kept messing up the bomb fragments and didn't get the homing back like I had hoped to which screwed me up.

7,819,710 - chempop - Stage 6 - Gain (C)
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Tried a credit with Bornnam. What an underpowered character! This is gonna be interesting to max out.

6,582,760 - Plasmo - Stage 5 - Bornnam (ABC)
I like chocolate milk

Zerst

Post by Zerst »

7,734,330 - Zerst - Stage 6 - Bornnam (ABC)
Dimahoo is a fun game.
<trap15> C is for Bakraid
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

This battle will be awesome! Welcome abroad Zerst! :D
I like chocolate milk

Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Plasmo wrote:Tried a credit with Bornnam. What an underpowered character! This is gonna be interesting to max out.

6,582,760 - Plasmo - Stage 5 - Bornnam (ABC)
So you finally decided to join in.
chempop

Post by chempop »

Oh man, now I want to switch to Bornnan :twisted: (not that I can really compete with you guys)
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
Zerst

Post by Zerst »

A,221,120 - Zerst - Stage 7 - Bornnam (ABC)

I can't dodge BH2's vulcans with all the input lag from wolfmame :<
Dimahoo is a fun game.
<trap15> C is for Bakraid
Softdrink 117

Post by Softdrink 117 »

Finally broke 7 million and passed the turret wall for the first time. Lot of things went wrong this run, but overall I'm getting better. Slowly.

7,177,130 - Softdrink 117 - Stage 6 - Golden Bat

I really wish MAME didn't randomly max my autofire. I'll just be holding down shot, flying along, and then suddenly the game will jump straight to max without my finger ever leaving the button. No idea why this happens, but it's incredibly annoying, because it virtually guarantees rank will be insane by stage 6. :|

It's made all the more mysterious by the fact that I never use any autofire, ever, in any games. I seriously have no idea what the heck is going on...
I love Ibara.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

9,502,200 - Plasmo - Stage 6 - Bornnam (C)

Accidently selected Type C. Got a few points here and there.
I like chocolate milk