Wii RGB 21-pin Japanese cables??

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
kemical

Wii RGB 21-pin Japanese cables??

Post by kemical »

I'm currently running my Wii in composite.... does it do RGB? And are there 21-pin cables available that would work on the XRGB-2 ? Or would I be better off running component 480p? My internet searching isn't turning up much yet...
Fudoh

Re: Wii RGB 21-pin Japanese cables??

Post by Fudoh »

Depends on your Wii. European Wii units do output RGB, NTSC ones don't (to my knowledge). But running a Wii signal into a XRGB isn't the right thing anway, Why would you limited the consoles output to 240 lines of video per 1/60s (480i) if you can have the Wii output 480 lines per 1/60s (480p) ?

If you need VGA output instead of compoment, get a VGA cable for your Wii.
kemical

Post by kemical »

thanks for the info, it looks like I should get a ypbpr to vga converter, the only cable I could find listed as VGA for the wii seems to be be a converter which just works with 480p, so other virtual console stuff might not work on it. Any suggestions on YPBPR to VGA converters? :) It looks like there are some inexpensive ones but they don't seem to go lower than 480p, ideally if I'm getting something like that I'd want one that accepts all signals over component if possible (so I could run PS2 etc)
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

You can use an uspcaler (check http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de for a choice of machines), but you'll never reach the same quality of with a real transcoder unit, so it's either a quality compromise or two machines.