RQ: DoDonPachi Boss 4 bug

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
ptoing

RQ: DoDonPachi Boss 4 bug

Post by ptoing »

I was wondering if there is a more or less surefire way to trigger the bug where he gets stuck halfway offscreen.
I only managed to do this once and I was not able to reproduce it.

Anyone got a clue? Mame replays?
BER

Re: RQ: DoDonPachi Boss 4 bug

Post by BER »

Basically, you'll want to do two things:
  1. Get the boss's life bar down to a certain point.
  2. Make the boss stop high up in the screen when it dashes down at you.
The timing's tight, but here's a way to trigger this bug more than once with the C-S type:
  1. Before the boss fires its lasers a second time, bring down the boss's life bar to the zone below the second H in HIGH at the upper-center of the screen.
  2. While the boss is firing its lasers a second time, use your side shots to safely tick down the life bar to the very left of the H (see screenshot).
  3. Dodge the third pink and blue bullet attack by starting at the bottom-right corner of the screen, moving left slowly for a few blue bullet waves, and dashing up near the end of the attack. Try counting off six blue bullet waves before dashing up.
  4. Wait for the boss to settle down.
  5. Just when you see the boss charge up a laser, attack.
Please let me know whether this works for you. I can't figure out how early or how late you should wait in steps 4 and 5, so I hope you can figure it out.

Screenshot:

Bernard A. DORIA (retired)
ptoing

Post by ptoing »

Cheers, so far I did not manage to do it, but I got good enough to beat him without bombing in general, while I practised this :D

I got the main idea of how to do this and will try it more in the future.
Thanks again.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

I've been able to consistently perform this move. Its two things, timing - getting the life bar down to the middle of the second digit in your hit count (per BER's pic), and then being as far to right (or left) as possible when he does his lunge attack, at which time you just laser him when he is half off the screen. Watch the replays carefully to get timing and positioning down.
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Yeah really just copy this precisely from K.O's video for example or mine and if you have enough accuracy and timing you will quickly be able to do this consistently. Nice to save some fuck ups in first loop, very important to get down for second loop.

If you have no replay to show you this for 1st loop I can always upload you one, I have plennnnnnnnty of replays from all of my tries and I did this trick in most of them. So just message me in that case.
Scores, replays, videos || I have written a guide about getting good at shmups. Check it out !
Follow me on Twitch??
borislaw

Post by borislaw »

Anyone have a replay of this maneuver or know where I can find one? Preferably for loop 1 with A-L.

Edit: I have video of this trick being performed during the second loop...I assume that both loops have the same set of requirements?

P.S. : For future reference here is a helpful link to a video of just level 1-4 boss fight where trick is performed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmBWbAV6 ... re_related
Last edited by borislaw on Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
'twas in times of old / as eagles screamed // and holy streams flowed / from the Heaven-Fells
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

borislaw wrote:Anyone have a replay of this maneuver or know where I can find one? Preferably for loop 1 with A-L.
In this replay package I did the trick right in most runs : http://www.mediafire.com/?p86ap92lbe6lg9u
(A-L, wolfmameplus 99)
To learn you should rather use a video so you can use K.O's video that you can get from superplay.co.uk or my run on youtube (type prometheus dodonpachi), or from arcade extreme.
Scores, replays, videos || I have written a guide about getting good at shmups. Check it out !
Follow me on Twitch??