Moon Walker Dipswitch Settings?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
hermosaguy

Moon Walker Dipswitch Settings?

Post by hermosaguy »

I am having a hard time getting MoonWalker to run on my Egret 2. I have the 5th switch set so 2 player (instead of 3) is enabled, free play is on but none of the button inputs will read. If I do 3, the game starts up but everything is mapped incorrectly. Does anyone know what my settings should be for the dip switches?

Thanks!
PC Engine Fan X!

Re: Moon Walker Dipswitch Settings?

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Here's the link of requested dipswitch settings of your beloved Moonwalker PCB, hermosaguy. ^_~

http://www.crazykong.com/dips/MJsMoonwalker.txt

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
hermosaguy

Post by hermosaguy »

Thank you but I had tried that with no luck. My jamma setup is standard. Is there something I might be missing?
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Holy crap, I have the exact same problem with my E2 hermosaguy - I got a MW board a few weeks back and literally gave up after a week of pissing about with the dips and such. I found a thread on Neogeo.com posted up about 3 years ago by a guy called Alec. I contacted him and he said he could never resolve the issue or get the game to run on his E2 either! However, sticking it in his Astro it ran fine first time.
I haven't been able to get it onto a supergun yet or tried it with a different setup?

Dude, if you ever find a fix for this problem, please post it here or PM me - I've been tearing my frickin' hair out. :|
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

hermosaguy

Post by hermosaguy »

Not a prob Skykid. Yeah, that is where my whole weekend has gone so far...looks like messing with all the combinations of the dips won't get me anywhere. I got the game from a good guy so there is no question on the board, just getting it to work with my E2. I think the next step will try to see if it will run fine on another cab, but that will have to wait till the middle of the week.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

hermosaguy wrote:Not a prob Skykid. Yeah, that is where my whole weekend has gone so far...looks like messing with all the combinations of the dips won't get me anywhere. I got the game from a good guy so there is no question on the board, just getting it to work with my E2. I think the next step will try to see if it will run fine on another cab, but that will have to wait till the middle of the week.
Keep me posted. I also considered the seller of my board to be of good standing, so went hunting for info. After I found Alec's thread I figured it was the E2 rather than the board. This further compounds the theory!

I'm sure it's something simple - I can't imagine a board, particularly something this commercial - being completely incompatible with an E2. Unfortunately I don't have the tech knowledge to get any further.

Good luck buddy, let me know what you turn up! :wink:

dpful

Post by dpful »

Follow the grounds from the harness to the buttons and then follow the connector and traces right around where the grounds connect to the board. I know the games jamma (plus if it works on other cabs), and the grounds are the only redundant wires, maybe the board needs all four and the cab supplies less.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

dpful wrote:Follow the grounds from the harness to the buttons and then follow the connector and traces right around where the grounds connect to the board. I know the games jamma (plus if it works on other cabs), and the grounds are the only redundant wires, maybe the board needs all four and the cab supplies less.
Ha ha, I'm pretty tech useless, so that's like another language to me. :P
Someone did suggest that MW wasn't fully Jamma to me though, on my searches, and a harness adaptor could fix the prob. Kind of falls down when it goes in an Astro and runs first time though.

pcb_revival

Post by pcb_revival »

Have you asked the Geezer regarding this quirk.

Dont think any of the other System 18 releases had a problem running JAMMA standard that includes Alien Storm which also is a 3 player game.
dpful

Post by dpful »

Skykid wrote:
dpful wrote:Follow the grounds from the harness to the buttons and then follow the connector and traces right around where the grounds connect to the board. I know the games jamma (plus if it works on other cabs), and the grounds are the only redundant wires, maybe the board needs all four and the cab supplies less.
Ha ha, I'm pretty tech useless, so that's like another language to me. :P
Someone did suggest that MW wasn't fully Jamma to me though, on my searches, and a harness adaptor could fix the prob. Kind of falls down when it goes in an Astro and runs first time though.
Google a jamma diagram, the last four pins at the end of the harness next to the button inputs (two on parts side and two on solder side) should all be ground (or all connected to the same thing). Double check to see if your harness has all four wires in there (most jamma games only need one of those). If any of those are blank, it could be the problem. --if blank, you could connect them with paperclips or anything metal to troubleshoot.
sven666

Post by sven666 »

michael only liked SEGA games.. egret 2 is taito :wink:
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

sven666 wrote:michael only liked SEGA games.. egret 2 is taito :wink:
Sabotage? :shock:

Thanks DPful, that's actually really handy. I'll give it a shot as soon as I get a minute. :wink:

Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Update:

As I suspected, this ran fine on my Supergun in London. Crediting up was a bit wierd, but I think that's because I'd messed the dips around and it wasn't on 2player mode anymore.

So it really is just the E2 that hates this game. :?

Did you have any luck Hermosaguy?

system11

Post by system11 »

This is an easy one.

Pin 4 underside needs 5v on it. Whoever suggested grounds was nearly right - but on System18 boards the 5v is actually split. Pins 3/4 top and 3 bottom are all linked together, but unusually pin 4 bottom isn't - if your JAMMA loom doesn't have that one wired up the input section won't get any power.

Hearing two cabinets have the same problem suggests that the people who did the wiring in E2s were idiots, or maybe there's some bizarre connector hidden deep in the wiring that would hook it up.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

bloodflowers wrote:This is an easy one.

Pin 4 underside needs 5v on it. Whoever suggested grounds was nearly right - but on System18 boards the 5v is actually split. Pins 3/4 top and 3 bottom are all linked together, but unusually pin 4 bottom isn't - if your JAMMA loom doesn't have that one wired up the input section won't get any power.

Hearing two cabinets have the same problem suggests that the people who did the wiring in E2s were idiots, or maybe there's some bizarre connector hidden deep in the wiring that would hook it up.
It's actually three E2 cabinets now - maybe it's just part of the design?

Thanks for the help there, that's awesome to know. I'll go and check the loom/harness to see what's what. I know I have a -5v line in there (providing sound to some of those older boards) but I'm guessing this isn't the same thing?

system11

Post by system11 »

Not the same thing!

The first few pins on a JAMMA connector are specified to be this:

Code: Select all

GND | GND
GND | GND
 +5 | +5
 +5 | +5
 -5 | -5
+12 | +12
Now, on the great majority of JAMMA boards, all four ground pins are hooked up together, and all four +5 pins too. Some rather lazy supergun and JAMMA adapter makers often only bother connecting 1 or 2 of them because of this, but I'd never heard of a cabinet having the same problem. Having them all connected is important for two reasons: 1) because it's the standard and there's no guarantee they will be tied together on the board, System18 being a good example of this. 2) even where they are tied together, having all pins connected reduces the current having to flow through each individual one - which leads to longer life on the pins of your JAMMA board.

People often leave the end ground pins unconnected too - I've seen at least one board where those were essential and not tied to the first four grounds, unfortunately I forget which game it was.
hermosaguy

Post by hermosaguy »

Skykid wrote:Update:

As I suspected, this ran fine on my Supergun in London. Crediting up was a bit wierd, but I think that's because I'd messed the dips around and it wasn't on 2player mode anymore.

Sorry, completely have been busy with console stuff and forgot about this thread and sending you back a PM. Nope, no luck at my end unfortunately. Not sure how I can get this up and running really.
TonK

Post by TonK »

Sent you a PM - I'll test it out for you on my Blast and NAC.
system11

Post by system11 »

hermosaguy wrote:
Skykid wrote:Update:

Sorry, completely have been busy with console stuff and forgot about this thread and sending you back a PM. Nope, no luck at my end unfortunately. Not sure how I can get this up and running really.
Read what I posted - you'll need to check your loom and see what +5s are connected, I'm willing to bet not all of them are, one is not joined to the others on this board type.
system11

Post by system11 »