Final Kapster

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
kappa

Final Kapster

Post by kappa »

I've been working on a little shmup and I think its about ready to be shown to the public.

I have shown it to a few people but most just say its too hard, most probably because they don't play shmup games. I thought it'd be an ideal place to post it here to get some views of shmup players.

Image Image Image

Controls: Use the mouse to move the ship, left mouse button to shoot and right mouse button to switch shields
Alternatively you can use the keyboard for ship movement (see option menu) and Left CTRL to shoot and space to switch shields.
P Key to pause the game and M key to mute/play music.

I recommend that you play in fullscreen for maximum smoothness.

As for System Requirements, it should work on most modern computers but you need a graphics card that supports at least OpenGL 1.1.

I'm looking for some feedback and idea's to improve the game to make it better, any suggestions are welcome.

you can play it here
monkeyman

Re: Final Kapster

Post by monkeyman »

Ikaruga meets Galaga - nice idea!
I certainly don't think difficulty is an issue, though I felt that enemies took a little too long to die (even when hit with reverse polarity) - not so bad that it ruined the game, it just made it a little less fun.
Other than that, there was just enogh variety to keep things interesting without getting confusing, and the use of final countdown was inspired!

Oh and I did find the game kicked me out to the title screen randomly on my first go after the 1st few waves (I hadn't died) - not sure what that was about but it didn't happen again
My shmup Projects
Finished: Invader! -- Tri Hunter -- Proj Raiden
WIP: Infinity Squadron