Darius Burst announced for PSP

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
boagman

Re: Darius Burst announced for PSP

Post by boagman »

ZOM wrote:Say, was it always like this:

I don't remember other Daiuses (Darii?) having a set difficulty curve on zones; felt always pretty random to me.
Perhaps not, but that's been the growing trend over the last few years in series with branching paths, no? Think of Outrun 2/SP, where the branches left are easier, and right are harder, whereas in the original the branching paths weren't considered much different difficulty-wise one from the other. I'm sure that others can chime in with more examples, but this was the first thing that jumped into my mind.

Now, in addition to Darius Burst, how about a new Night Striker, since Taito's getting all nostalgic on us? That bad monster had branching paths, great music, and while you'd lose something in the loss of the environmental cockpit setting, the gameplay was great! When's *that* game going to be properly revisited?
FER

Post by FER »

So the amount of stages is definitive? I really wouldnt mind stages with same background but different enemy formations or different boss/mirror boss
UnscathedFlyingObject

Post by UnscathedFlyingObject »

I'd be pretty pissed off if they start recycling levels. It completely nullifies the point of having multiple paths. G-Darius had unique levels all the way through. I could understand some repeated levels with different enemy formations if the game had as many as Darius Gaiden.
"Sooo, what was it that you consider a 'good salary' for a man to make?"
"They should at least make 100K to have a good life"
saucykobold

Post by saucykobold »

UnscathedFlyingObject wrote:I'd be pretty pissed off if they start recycling levels. It completely nullifies the point of having multiple paths. G-Darius had unique levels all the way through.
It's been months since I last played G-Darius, but I'm pretty sure they recycled a few of the in-stage branches.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

The OST will be released on January 20th 2010 and will sell for 2,625Yen

Source
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

saucykobold wrote:
UnscathedFlyingObject wrote:I'd be pretty pissed off if they start recycling levels. It completely nullifies the point of having multiple paths. G-Darius had unique levels all the way through.
It's been months since I last played G-Darius, but I'm pretty sure they recycled a few of the in-stage branches.
G and Gaiden recycle stages. Expect no different.
ZOM wrote:I don't remember other Daiuses (Darii?) having a set difficulty curve on zones; felt always pretty random to me.
In G it's the same way. Not neccesarly harder bosses, but the stages themselves are tougher the lower you go.
FER

Post by FER »

But theren't much stages so they might not do mirror stages, however I would like to see up to Zone Z if that means mirroring some stages.

Problem is they CAN make up to zone Z without recycling stages and bosess given the PSP is a slightly weaker PS2, but this is less likely to happen.
devilmanozzy

Post by devilmanozzy »

As far as the amount of zones and such, please remember Darius-R had only zones up to O even though it was basically a port of Darius Plus. I think based on that one could conclude that hand held system games in this series are shorter than regular version games.
AVGN wrote:This game is so hard; it would actually be easier to go outside in a thunderstorm and try to dodge rain
http://shmups.co.uk/<- The new url of shmupswiki.com
originalz

Post by originalz »

For those of you who really love Darius, a special edition package has been announced:

http://ebten.jp/p/7015009110901/?aid=ma091111

Comes with a "best of Darius" CD album (seems like only one song is actually from this game) and a hand towel. The set costs about $100, so I'd imagine only hardcore Darius fans would care about this, heh.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Do I read that page correctly when I say that it looks like most of the CD is music from Darius Twin? Of all the games in the series, why the heck would they pick THAT one to feature musically? My Dad once walked in from the next room while I was playing it to say that the game had the most irritating music he'd ever heard, and I couldn't much argue with him.
sunburstbasser

Post by sunburstbasser »

Have you ever played the Japanese release of Twin? It isn't really any different, except that the treble was far less than in the other versions and makes the music a lot more bearable, especially zones J and K. Its still bland, but for that reason its certainly a step up from the harshness of the USA release.
UnscathedFlyingObject

Post by UnscathedFlyingObject »

originalz wrote:For those of you who really love Darius, a special edition package has been announced:

http://ebten.jp/p/7015009110901/?aid=ma091111

Comes with a "best of Darius" CD album (seems like only one song is actually from this game) and a hand towel. The set costs about $100, so I'd imagine only hardcore Darius fans would care about this, heh.
The towel is for drying your tears after you realize how badly they raped your walled. The SE tax is getting a bit ridiculous.
"Sooo, what was it that you consider a 'good salary' for a man to make?"
"They should at least make 100K to have a good life"
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

I'm seriously considering grabbing that, even though it would come as a crushing disappointment to find that most of the music on the CD is from Twin. I've never understood why that one is so popular, outside places like this - I suspect it constitutes many people's only exposure to the series, which is a real shame.

Maybe I should skip it and grab the Everyman Chumpface version; I already have the Premium Box.
gs68

Post by gs68 »

Because if an installment is on SNES, it's got to be the best one in the entire series...right?
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

BulletMagnet wrote:Do I read that page correctly when I say that it looks like most of the CD is music from Darius Twin? Of all the games in the series, why the heck would they pick THAT one to feature musically? My Dad once walked in from the next room while I was playing it to say that the game had the most irritating music he'd ever heard, and I couldn't much argue with him.

That could also explain why Supernova/ Darius Force's soundtrack is more mellow and solemn by comparison. IMHO.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
lgb

Post by lgb »

devilmanozzy wrote:As far as the amount of zones and such, please remember Darius-R had only zones up to O even though it was basically a port of Darius Plus. I think based on that one could conclude that hand held system games in this series are shorter than regular version games.
this sounds irrelevant. Dariusburst sounds like /the next game/ instead of /sidestory/ (lol not darius gaiden!)
devilmanozzy

Post by devilmanozzy »

gs68 wrote:Because if an installment is on SNES, it's got to be the best one in the entire series...right?
I love Darius Twin and it was my first shmup I ever bought I enjoyed playing. That being said, it still isn't the "Best" Darius game. Darius Twin is a perfect game to get someone not into shmups a easy game to with a not so great learning curve which was because when the player dies they come back with their weapons.

Probably say the best game would be Darius Gaiden. Tho a close second would be a g-darius.
lgb wrote:
devilmanozzy wrote:As far as the amount of zones and such, please remember Darius-R had only zones up to O even though it was basically a port of Darius Plus. I think based on that one could conclude that hand held system games in this series are shorter than regular version games.
this sounds irrelevant. Dariusburst sounds like /the next game/ instead of /sidestory/ (lol not darius gaiden!)
What? You apparently have never played Darius-R as its a port of Darius Plus which is only a resizing of the game. Sidestory......?
AVGN wrote:This game is so hard; it would actually be easier to go outside in a thunderstorm and try to dodge rain
devilmanozzy

Post by devilmanozzy »

BulletMagnet wrote:Do I read that page correctly when I say that it looks like most of the CD is music from Darius Twin? Of all the games in the series, why the heck would they pick THAT one to feature musically? My Dad once walked in from the next room while I was playing it to say that the game had the most irritating music he'd ever heard, and I couldn't much argue with him.
Well maybe you don't like the snes era of games music. Personally I think it has the best of the soundtrack in the series thus far. My family did enjoy the music when I was younger to a few games such as Darius Twin. Now the annoying part is the sound of endless gun fire and explosions which is annoying to some that are not playing the game. That being said, it is a common issue with shmups.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Everybody likes SNES music, mate. Most of Twin's is just a bit generic and isn't very well composed, and at times it's even screechy and obnoxious. It doesn't typify the SNES' musical output at all, and is certainly inadequate as an introduction to Zuntata (in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Ogura had nothing to do with it). I do like stage H's theme, but I couldn't really defend it. :p

Not to be needlessly harsh, or anything; to each his own. Even someone who loves Twin's music can see that it's odd for it to dominate a CD like this one, though. I'd have liked to have seen it contain some of the PSG versions of the original game's music...
CIT

Post by CIT »

The reason the Darius Twin soundtrack is being released on that disk is because the soundtrack has never been released before. :idea:

So yes, for Darius fans this is a nice addition.
J-Manic

Post by J-Manic »

boagman wrote:
ZOM wrote:Say, was it always like this:

I don't remember other Daiuses (Darii?) having a set difficulty curve on zones; felt always pretty random to me.
I think the difficulty varies for the boss battles in those zones.
lgb

Post by lgb »

devilmanozzy wrote:What? You apparently have never played Darius-R as its a port of Darius Plus which is only a resizing of the game. Sidestory......?
Yes I have.

Despite the existence of Darius-R, because of apparently new features (unlike Darius-R, for the most part) and the fact that it is being made for hardware more powerful than used for the last entry (clearly the PSP is stronger than PSX-based hardware, and the SNES was not stronger than arcade hardware made at that time or even later on in the SNES' lifetime), this is clearly the next BIG step in the series (which I do not consider Darius Twin/Force as such).
FER

Post by FER »

Doesnt matter anyway

What devilmanozzy said was some wacko idea that just because a Darius game is handheld it has to be shorter.
handsome_rakshas

Post by handsome_rakshas »

Forget the cd, I want that awesome shirt!
boagman

Post by boagman »

handsome_rakshas wrote:Forget the cd, I want that awesome shirt!
At $51US? *Before* any shipping and handling charges? Dude, that shirt would have to do some illegal things for me in order to get me to pay that. It's nice, sure...but it's a stinking t-shirt! The shirt and the game shouldn't be anywhere *near* the same price. But they are! Crazy talk, I tells ya...crazy talk!
handsome_rakshas

Post by handsome_rakshas »

boagman wrote:
handsome_rakshas wrote:Forget the cd, I want that awesome shirt!
At $51US? *Before* any shipping and handling charges? Dude, that shirt would have to do some illegal things for me in order to get me to pay that. It's nice, sure...but it's a stinking t-shirt! The shirt and the game shouldn't be anywhere *near* the same price. But they are! Crazy talk, I tells ya...crazy talk!
WHOA HOLD ON, I didn't notice the price tag! :o
It's a cool shirt but 51 bucks it's a little steep. It really should be included in the LE set. What a shame.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Yeah, the price really fosters those awful collector mentalities; you'd never want to wear it.

I still want the "WARNING" shirt, though. :P
CIT

Post by CIT »

Just discovered something.

Listen to the music from the Darius Burst trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7dN6giYFo0

Now listen to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLPNspDTdV4

:D
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

CIT wrote:Just discovered something.

Listen to the music from the Darius Burst trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7dN6giYFo0

Now listen to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLPNspDTdV4

:D
Caught!
devilmanozzy

Post by devilmanozzy »

lgb wrote:
devilmanozzy wrote:What? You apparently have never played Darius-R as its a port of Darius Plus which is only a resizing of the game. Sidestory......?
Yes I have.

Despite the existence of Darius-R, because of apparently new features (unlike Darius-R, for the most part) and the fact that it is being made for hardware more powerful than used for the last entry (clearly the PSP is stronger than PSX-based hardware, and the SNES was not stronger than arcade hardware made at that time or even later on in the SNES' lifetime), this is clearly the next BIG step in the series (which I do not consider Darius Twin/Force as such).
I can't believe I'm reading this. Anyways G-Darius was made in the arcade on Taito FX-1 not PSX based Hardware.
Not sure how you are coming to this conclusion. I'm looking at this more like Gradius ReBirth which seems to be the direction of it other than they are trying again with the 3d thing. Unless they really make the levels long, you can see by the grid map that there is 11 zones which G-Darius had 15 zones. Say what you want, but I'm also looking at the facts. from 15 to 11.