Darius Burst announced for PSP

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Devil REI

Re: Darius Burst announced for PSP

Post by Devil REI »

The Next's Burst controls are what kills it for me. I can get that it's the reverse of the Legend as far as up/down controls go, but I always seem to angle it behind me unintentionally and I can't deduce why. :\
I most definitely hate your favorite shooter.
For the sake of our own sanity, let's not even talk about Psikyo, Battle Garegga, or DDP DOJ with each other.
Follow my searing, world-shaking insights on tumblr Tweetarz
Voxbox

Post by Voxbox »

The Next's Burst aims towards you, instead of away from you as it does with the Legend, meaning you should never go behind it. Lock it in place by holding fire button when you got the angle you want.

I've been playing missions all day, and have started toying with deploying the Burst unit(?). It depletes alot less energy when deployed, to the extend that it could easily go on forever as long as there's a constant stream of enemies or asteroids. Mission 3-6 is made for just that.
Hydeux

Post by Hydeux »

Mission 3-6 is made for just that.
True ! And this is just GREAT : tons of asteroids, mid bosses, your laser which keeps huming and destroying everything on its path, your ship going up & down with no end to avoid bullets, stones and ennemies, the feeeling is "MAN, I'M HERE TO SAVE THE UNIVERSE !!!!!"

The more I play this game, the more I like it : Burst Mode -just cleared it- is quiiiite good (much better than Arcade Mode IMO), Mission Mode is really challenging and VERY long (and those missions where you play the Origin with vintage music :twisted: ), graphics are good, music is wonderful (zone I, from beginning to the end of the boss !!!), loads of things to unlock, replays, yep, I really like it !

Has someone understood how the multiplier works ?
Nate

Post by Nate »

Damn, I'm moist for getting this game! *yeah, I don't own it yet - unbelieveable, I know.

Any "regretful purchasers" of DB feel free to PM me, I'll take it off your :wink: hands!
mumu

Post by mumu »

Any difference between Japan/Asia version at Play-Asia or just logo/text of the packaging?
Voxbox

Post by Voxbox »

Hydeux wrote:The more I play this game, the more I like it
I agree. I think Mission Mode really brings out the most of the game (and the early bosses).
Hydeux wrote:Burst Mode -just cleared it- is quiiiite good (much better than Arcade Mode IMO)
I dunno. Arcade Mode might be a little too easy, but Burst Mode (a single ship, no shield refills, harder difficulty) leaves no room for mistakes.
Hydeux wrote:music is wonderful (zone I, from beginning to the end of the boss !!!), loads of things to unlock, replays, yep, I really like it !
Yeah the music is awesome to say the least. I've bought a long as cord so I can plug my PSP into my stereo, and it gives a whole new dimension to the soundtrack. Just beat a run ending with zone I, but didn't pay any attention to the music though, must be too tired.
Hydeux

Post by Hydeux »

Voxbox wrote:
Hydeux wrote:Burst Mode -just cleared it- is quiiiite good (much better than Arcade Mode IMO)
I dunno. Arcade Mode might be a little too easy, but Burst Mode (a single ship, no shield refills, harder difficulty) leaves no room for mistakes.
:shock:
That's exactly the opposite for me ! :mrgreen:
devilmanozzy

Post by devilmanozzy »

FER wrote:Doesnt matter anyway

What devilmanozzy said was some wacko idea that just because a Darius game is handheld it has to be shorter.

Now that its been released your see my point at least a bit.
AVGN wrote:This game is so hard; it would actually be easier to go outside in a thunderstorm and try to dodge rain
http://shmups.co.uk/<- The new url of shmupswiki.com
devilmanozzy

Post by devilmanozzy »

lgb wrote:
devilmanozzy wrote: Not sure how you are coming to this conclusion. I'm looking at this more like Gradius ReBirth which seems to be the direction of it other than they are trying again with the 3d thing. Unless they really make the levels long, you can see by the grid map that there is 11 zones which G-Darius had 15 zones. Say what you want, but I'm also looking at the facts. from 15 to 11.
And? G-Darius has less zones than Darius' I, II, and III, since it's a prequel (mind the branching paths obviously though the weight of those is debatable). Certainly you don't mean to say that this really has any significance? Taito could easily call "hey this happens before other Darius games" again, or even make each individual stage far better than ever before. They can do that, and they sure as hell seem like they're going to do so!

Seems that I was indeed right based on what I've read. (I don't have the game)

The reason I re-raise this is that it seems to me you and a few really have a thing against me, at even my better efforts to be in the conversation. If you are trying to win at a power trip thing, you my friend lost this battle.
AVGN wrote:This game is so hard; it would actually be easier to go outside in a thunderstorm and try to dodge rain
http://shmups.co.uk/<- The new url of shmupswiki.com
Voxbox

Post by Voxbox »

Hydeux wrote:That's exactly the opposite for me ! :mrgreen:
Then I think we're both doing something wrong (and something right) :lol:

About the length of the game. A run through Arcade Mode takes about 30min which is just fine. Otherwise, a handheld game is best when it can be played in short sittings, which is kind of point of Mission Mode.

Anyone got a solid tactic against Lightning Flamberge? I take too many odd hits and haven't found a good use of Bursting.
Devil REI

Post by Devil REI »

Voxbox wrote: Anyone got a solid tactic against Lightning Flamberge? I take too many odd hits and haven't found a good use of Bursting.
I focus primarily on taking out the large turrets near its center while staying out of the center's line of fire (since it can toast your shield pretty fast). That helps cripple it considerably. The shots from the "wings" really aren't too tough to dodge which sufficient practice.
For the sake of our own sanity, let's not even talk about Psikyo, Battle Garegga, or DDP DOJ with each other.
Goshi

Post by Goshi »

Don't attack the middle part of his body. If you're aligned with it he'll launch that annoying lightning beam of his. I usually just flank to the bottom half of the screen unless he's moving around there. There's plenty of safe spots during his many bullet rushes.
Hydeux

Post by Hydeux »

As I find Burst Mode much more fun, I don't play Arcade more any more... (well, it's called, Darius BURST, why would I play a mode where the burst is of no real matter !!! :wink: )

So, for the Flamberge, I wait a little, until it begins throwing yellow shot and launching small ennemies from its rear side (I should say something funny here... :roll: ). At this moment, I launch my burst right in the middle of the screen so all its shots get absorbed by it, and I just have to shoot the small fry underneath. With all of this, the burst keeps going for quite a while, and if it's not enough, "just a couple few more shots" will take care of that f***** fish !

Does anyone have a real explanation on how the multiplier works ?
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

Nice nice, my copy arrived today and the PSP is in my brother's hands in another country for the next week. Great timing; and it doesn't help either that Hydeux is hyping the game... :|
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Seismic wrote:A few questions:

- Can someone explain the multiplier system? What effect does it have and what causes it to increase? I notice the red flash, but why does that happen? And I guess taking a hit causes the multiplier to demote?
After a certain number of kills, the multiplier will go up by 1 - with a max of x16. Taking a hit with shields on will decrease it by 1. Getting killed sends it back to x1 immediately. Nothing else decreases it, AFAIR.

DB Gameplay/Review video (in Japanese)
Part 2
Part 3
He was doing damn good until Zone H, where he used 2 continues.

http://www.pyramid-inc.net/eng2/ (Here's Pyramid Inc.'s home page, but Darius Burst is not listed on the works section yet though).
Kinect? KIN NOT.
Hydeux

Post by Hydeux »

it doesn't help either that Hydeux is hyping the game...
Quite sorry mate, and after all that game's crap... (does this help ?)
After a certain number of kills, the multiplier will go up by 1
That would mean you have pretty nothing special to do, as killing everything on screen is the thing you always do...
Quite a shame this multiplier system is so simple...
DB Gameplay/Review video (in Japanese)
Part 2
Part 3
Speaking of this kind of things, I've written a review, for those who can speak French : here.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Hydeux wrote:
After a certain number of kills, the multiplier will go up by 1
That would mean you have pretty nothing special to do, as killing everything on screen is the thing you always do...
Quite a shame this multiplier system is so simple...
The exact same as in Sin & Punishment 2, except I agree that it works really better in that latter game.

Could not 1CC the game so far in arcade mode. I like it though, hope I will manage it !

EDIT : I read the game is available on the PSN. Which PSN region is that ? Does this mean I can play it on my PS3 ?
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

JP PSN store only. PSP titles can't be played on a PS3, only PS1 titles can go back and forth like that.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Elixir wrote:JP PSN store only. PSP titles can't be played on a PS3, only PS1 titles can go back and forth like that.
Ok thanks.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
OdiousTrident

Post by OdiousTrident »

How many minibosses are in this game? I see at least one stage reuses the Coronatus miniboss.
Voxbox

Post by Voxbox »

OdiousTrident wrote:How many minibosses are in this game? I see at least one stage reuses the Coronatus miniboss.
There's Coronatus, some sort of eel, a harder form of Coronatus, some sort of angler I think, and some sort of fish I can't identify.
Devil REI

Post by Devil REI »

Voxbox wrote:
OdiousTrident wrote:How many minibosses are in this game? I see at least one stage reuses the Coronatus miniboss.
There's Coronatus, some sort of eel, a harder form of Coronatus, some sort of angler I think, and some sort of fish I can't identify.
I think I recall seeing a squid/octopus as well. Need to go through some of the harder end-zones again.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

This game's not bad. The gameplay is definitely fun, but the stages are REALLY monotonous. Mainly just space and rocks. Really dull.

It's a good time though, and the bosses are cool to fight too. The stages though...really monotonous. When I read that, I didn't think it would really be that big a deal, but it kinda is. Hurts the game for me.
Devil REI

Post by Devil REI »

evil_ash_xero wrote:This game's not bad. The gameplay is definitely fun, but the stages are REALLY monotonous. Mainly just space and rocks. Really dull.

It's a good time though, and the bosses are cool to fight too. The stages though...really monotonous. When I read that, I didn't think it would really be that big a deal, but it kinda is. Hurts the game for me.
Are you talking about the backgrounds? Those are indeed a bit weak, but I must disagree about the stage construction being monotonous. They're built around figuring out when and where to take advantage of what the Burst offers you, and in that respect, they're excellently done. And Burst Mode's even better!

I really do wish there was a way to jump into and practice certain stages, though. Come on, Taito, everyone else lets us do it. And no, Mission Mode ain't cuttin' it.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Yeah, I mean the backgrounds.
Devil REI

Post by Devil REI »

I'm seeing a ship called "Origin" listed in the default high score tables. Has anyone unlocked this yet?

Also curious about the last two ???? options in View Mode.
Hydeux

Post by Hydeux »

You get the Origin by finishing Burst Mode.

In View mode, the last two "???" are :
- Character pics : unlocked by finishing all first level missions
- Illustration gallery : unlocked by finishing all second level missions

Don't you ever go on my site !?! Everything about the game is written, many pics, a test but... in French... :wink:
Voxbox

Post by Voxbox »

After some trouble trying to find the sweet spot for picking the white orbs, I've come to the conclusion that there's 3 sweet spots placed like a Y inside it's circle. Is this correct? Has it been like this before?

Anyone know where all the extends are? I've found extends in zones D,H,J, and sort of assumes there's one in zone K too.
Hydeux

Post by Hydeux »

After some trouble trying to find the sweet spot for picking the white orbs, I've come to the conclusion that there's 3 sweet spots placed like a Y inside it's circle. Is this correct? Has it been like this before?
:shock:
What the hell are you talking about ?????
Voxbox

Post by Voxbox »

Am I completely wrong or am I just horrible at explaining?

All orbs flies around in circles. White orbs give different ammount of points depending on when you pick them up. If you pick them at 10-/2-/6- o'clock you get 50k.
If I'm correct that is.