Messed up screen with Bionic Commando

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
mortified_penguin

Messed up screen with Bionic Commando

Post by mortified_penguin »

Purchased this from a gentleman on KLOV, and to my dismay, all I get once I plug the PCB in is the screenshot below. Any ideas? There is no sound, nothing moves, it's just stuck.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z296 ... Cab/BC.jpg

You guys haven't failed me yet, so honestly, how screwed am I?
rolins

Re: Messed up screen with Bionic Commando

Post by rolins »

mortified_penguin wrote:Purchased this from a gentleman on KLOV, and to my dismay, all I get once I plug the PCB in is the screenshot below. Any ideas? There is no sound, nothing moves, it's just stuck.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z296 ... Cab/BC.jpg

You guys haven't failed me yet, so honestly, how screwed am I?
Your board might not be getting enough power. Get your volt meter out and measure the +5v on pcb's jamma edge. If it's not between 4.9v to 5.1v then you'll need to adjust your PSU. Happens to alot old pcbs.
mortified_penguin

Thanks, I'll check the voltage tonight. I did get it working but the the game resets every few seconds. This shit never ends. >_<
mortified_penguin

I'm only getting 4.44 volts on the board and even cranked up all the way, the best I can get is 4.61. I'm stumped on this one.
IronGiant

Post by IronGiant »

Check that the board's edge connector is good and clean (use a pencil eraser on it) and that the JAMMA connector is connecting good and tight.

Also, plug another known working board onto the same harness and check the voltage - is it reading around 5 volts ? If so then your BC board may have a fault that is causing the voltage drop (I've sometimes seen this happen when an EPROM dies in a certain way).

Do you have another cab that you can try plugging the BC into?
Formerly known here as R-Typer

Arcade game board repairer (known as 'Irongiant' and 'Vectorglow' on other arcade forums)
mortified_penguin

Unfortunately, I only have the one cab.

I actually made it up to level three yesterday without any problems until someone put a load of laundry in the dryer. The second the dryer kicked on, my screen flickered and the game locked up. Tried it again this morning and didn't have any problems what so ever. It just gets weirder by the day.
IronGiant

Post by IronGiant »

Well if it's running at 4.61 volts that would explain the flakiness. :)
Formerly known here as R-Typer

Arcade game board repairer (known as 'Irongiant' and 'Vectorglow' on other arcade forums)