Question regarding a JPN PS2 and backwards capability.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Vyxx
Banned User

Question regarding a JPN PS2 and backwards capability.

Post by Vyxx »

I've owned a Japanese PS2 for a long time now, and I own almost all the import Shmups, and love them =D

I was going to import Donpachi & DoDonpachi for the PSX, as I know someone who will give me a good deal, I just want to make sure that the JPN PS2 is 100% backwards compatible with PSX games. I know the NA PS2 can play all NA PSX games, so I'm assuming the Japanese one should be the same, no?
Ghegs

Re: Question regarding a JPN PS2 and backwards capability.

Post by Ghegs »

Vyxx wrote:I was going to import Donpachi & DoDonpachi for the PSX, as I know someone who will give me a good deal, I just want to make sure that the JPN PS2 is 100% backwards compatible with PSX games. I know the NA PS2 can play all NA PSX games, so I'm assuming the Japanese one should be the same, no?
Yessir, this is true. A JPN PS2 plays JPN PS1 games just fine.

However, there are few PS1 shmups that don't play quite correctly on a PS2. Gradius Gaiden's Stage 7 plays in slow-motion, as does the whole of Kyoukyoku Tiger (in Toaplan Shooting Battle). Might be some more, I forget at the moment. No problems with Donpachi or Dodonpachi, though.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Vyxx
Banned User

Re: Question regarding a JPN PS2 and backwards capability.

Post by Vyxx »

Thank you very much kind sir!

Looks like I'll be picking up Donpachi & DoDonpachi tonight! I've played both at my friends countless times, but now I'll have the honor of owning both of these masterpieces.

Also, I'm going to import a copy of Einhander. I live in Canada, and the going price on eBay for a used copy is around $60. I can get a brand new copy of the JPN Einhander for $35 with free shipping. Weird, but hey, if it works, I'll take it.