have i fried my xbox 360?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
DC906270

have i fried my xbox 360?

Post by DC906270 »

i recently bought an xbox 360 jp from Play asia, it just arrived today, so i set it up, ignorantly using one of my 100w step down converters. problem is, xbox 360 is 150w, and there was a bang and the step down is dead. can anyone tell me whether the xbox is likely to be fried as well, or does the external power supply prevent this from happening?
undamned

Re: have i fried my xbox 360?

Post by undamned »

Most likely your XBOX is fine and it's your step-down converter is dead. Is your step-down converter high quality? I'd think that if the XBOX was demanding too much power, your step-down converter would just shut down rather than die (you said it made a "bang" ?). If your XBOX was receiving the correct voltage (even if it wasn't enough wattage) the whole time then it should be fine.
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
SuperPang

Post by SuperPang »

Get an elite PSU off ebay. Should be the same output.

Your stepdown should've protected the 360. May even be a blown fuse.
DC906270

Post by DC906270 »

thanks, yeah the step down is a reasonable quality. the step down is definately dead now though, there was a bang/minor explosion, sparks flying from it, and now it smells like burnt circuits. the xbox doesnt smell bad though, so im hoping TO GOD its just the step down thats fried. now ive got to wait until ive ordered a UK 150W power supply before i can try my xbox. sleepless nights (lol) until then im afraid.
undamned

Post by undamned »

DC906270 wrote:the step down is definately dead now though, there was a bang/minor explosion, sparks flying from it, and now it smells like burnt circuits.
At least it was spectacular. The worst is when something just stops working without a show (unless it's easily repairable, at which point a lack of fireworks is desirable :D).
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
JigsawMan

Post by JigsawMan »

SuperPang wrote:Get an elite PSU off ebay. Should be the same output.

Your stepdown should've protected the 360. May even be a blown fuse.
That's what I did. Cost me £15 and was cheaper than a decent quality stepdown.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

This happened to me as well (minus the bang). I plugged my 360 into my EGRET II's service outlet instead, as that's 110V.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.