Failing DOJ batteries

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
IronGiant

Failing DOJ batteries

Post by IronGiant »

Just a word of caution - over on arcadeotaku a number of people are finding that the batteries on their DOJ boards are furring up/starting to leak. If you have such a board then it would be a good idea to open up the metal case and take a look inside before a leaking battery eats through a few tracks and damages the PCB.
Formerly known here as R-Typer

Arcade game board repairer (known as 'Irongiant' and 'Vectorglow' on other arcade forums)
THE

Re: Failing DOJ batteries

Post by THE »

I always remove instantly the batteries of each PCB I get. Besides some suicide boards (CPS X shit) those are not needed anyway. The PGM uses the battery only for the RTC, AFAIK it stores the DIP settings in an EEPROM and not some battery backed up shit. In case of Raiden 2/DX it will kill your score saving abilities permanently though. You should remove the batteries from SPI boards too.
The future is 2D
cools

Post by cools »

THE wrote:In case of Raiden 2/DX it will kill your score saving abilities permanently though.
Do you have a board where this is still working?
kernow

Post by kernow »

THE wrote:The PGM uses the battery only for the RTC, AFAIK it stores the DIP settings in an EEPROM and not some battery backed up shit.
Nope, its battery backed RAM. Remove the battery and you have no saved settings anymore :)
THE

Post by THE »

Nope. I removed the battery from all my PCBs. Why do you ask?
Maybe someday someone will replace the battery backed RAM with a custom eeprom based solution.
kernow wrote:
THE wrote:The PGM uses the battery only for the RTC, AFAIK it stores the DIP settings in an EEPROM and not some battery backed up shit.
Nope, its battery backed RAM. Remove the battery and you have no saved settings anymore :)
Well I guess I play in defaults anyway ;-). Maybe it was SPI were it still works. Anyway it can't said often enough, people remove the batteries or replace them on a regular basis!
The future is 2D
cools

Post by cools »

THE wrote:
Nope. I removed the battery from all my PCBs. Why do you ask?
Maybe someday someone will replace the battery backed RAM with a custom eeprom based solution.
Because I've read differing things regarding this. Some that the battery dying kills the score saving, some that it never actually worked. I'd love to know there was still a board working that has score saving :)
THE

Post by THE »

cools wrote: Because I've read differing things regarding this. Some that the battery dying kills the score saving, some that it never actually worked. I'd love to know there was still a board working that has score saving :)
Ah okay. Yes my boards were working perfectly fine and saved every of my poor scoring attempt before I removed the batteries.
The future is 2D
cools

Post by cools »

:shock:

Oh man... Thanks for confirming. I'm going to go swear at Seibu now.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Sure, I've played on some Raiden II cabinets that never did save high scores upon being powered down for the night. I was at this Reno Circus/Circus hotel back in 1995 and they had a Raiden II PCB running inside a Dynamo cabinet setup that did save high scores upon being powered down for the night. The next morning, I went down to check it out and the high scores were still up. ^_~

Fellow shmuper rtw mentioned something about the Raiden II PCB was supposed to have battery-backed encryption scheme in place but Seibu Kaihatsu never got around to having it implemented in the first place (akin to how Capcom used battery-backed encryption with it's CPS-2 arcade hardware). Rtw also said that there was never battery-backed high score saving in the first place. Hmmm, definitely some interesting and intriguing issues about whether or not if a Raiden II PCB did save high scores or not. I'd have to assume that perhaps whatever hardware was inside that particular Dynamo cabinet running the Raiden II PCB, it saved the high scores even if it was turned off completely. It sure would've be nice to have taken a peek inside as to what made it tick with high score saving and all. ^_~

On my Raiden II PCB, there still is a battery in place even though it's no longer of any use. The battery's been dead for many years and a relic from the days when a new Raiden II PCB had one installed to do it's job properly.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
zlk

Post by zlk »

Is there a way to remove the battery without using a soldering iron? (yes I am an idiot)
kernow

Post by kernow »

You could just clip it off with some snips, bit messy but eh.
Trevor spencer

Post by Trevor spencer »

I havnt looked at my ketsui PCB in a few years now so i better take a look , anyone know the battery part no. ?

Also do the later board Like ESPgaluda 2 etc etc have the same problem ?

Thanks
Check out my YouTube Channel
YouTube
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

nope just ketsui ,d.o.j or galuda. the battery is usually green and easy to find.. if you can see fuzzyness on the battery or visible acid leaking onto the board it's deffo time to replace.also if you manage to source some of these can you grab me one too??
kernow

Post by kernow »

Varta 3/V80H 3.6V
Trevor spencer

Post by Trevor spencer »

kernow wrote:Image

Varta 3/V80H 3.6V

Thanks Kern

This would do ok right ?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?Tab ... &U=Strat15

How's the egrets ? looking lovely still
Check out my YouTube Channel
YouTube
kernow

Post by kernow »

hah , yeah they are ok, fitted some new parts today :)

yep, thats the one it looks like
zakk

Post by zakk »

It should be noted that if you have a DOJ black label board, removing the battery will kill it.

Normal 'white label' DOJ won't die without a battery, so no fear there.