Regarding Batsugun Special EEPROM

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Elixir

Regarding Batsugun Special EEPROM

Post by Elixir »

Well, I received my EEPROM today. And I can't get it in. The original popped right off with a flat head, but it's almost like the new EEPROM is too big to fit where the original went. The prongs seem to bend really easily and if I align one side, the other side sticks out.

I basically don't understand why this is happening. HobbyRoms failed to provide me with any sort of tutorial or, well, anything for that matter. I guess they just expect you to know how to apply random EEPROMs. Any advice is appreciated.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
robivy64

Re: Regarding Batsugun Special EEPROM

Post by robivy64 »

Sounds like they sent you the wrong EPROM.

It needs to be a 27C240 40-pin DIP
croikle

Post by croikle »

Sticks out a lot, or just a bit? Sometimes with DIPs you need to bend the pins in slightly so they're more vertical and fit in.
Magic Knight

Post by Magic Knight »

x
Last edited by Magic Knight on Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cools

Post by cools »

Yup, this is normal.

The pins just need to be bent/squeezed in slightly. Put the IC on its side on a desk and use the surface to bent them in gently and evenly.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Thanks guys, I managed to push them in against a desk and fit the EPROM into place right after doing so. It helps a lot if you go push one side in first, then the other.

Batsugun Special is really fun. Thread can be locked now.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
undamned

Post by undamned »

Elixir wrote:It helps a lot if you go push one side in first, then the other.
You got it. If you've never done it before it's kinda scary :D
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

You learn something new everyday with the arcade PCB hobby, Elixir. Glad to hear that you can play Batsugun Special properly. ^_~

Of course with a bit of electronic wizardry, you can have both normal and Special eproms soldered together and with some switching magic, you can have both on just one PCB. Just don't try to switch to either version when the power is on though -- unless if you want to see it go up in smoke, that is. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
undamned

Post by undamned »

You wouldn't smoke it, but you'd hose any data being immediately read from the EEPROMs (i.e. you'd have to re-boot).
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love