CPS1 Repair Inquiry

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
billd420

CPS1 Repair Inquiry

Post by billd420 »

Hi everyone!

I have quite the collection of broken CPS1 hardware that I'd like to get back up and running. I guess I'll go through each of the diagnosed problems, and pray someone has the cure :)

Saturday Night Slammasters-
I purchased this board suicided, and did all of the QSound revival repairs on it. Everything worked out great. About 2 months after I did the repairs, the audio became beyond quiet. At full volume (running into my QSound amplifier), I could BARELY hear anything. A few days later, the audio was completely gone. I've read that the audio disappearing is capacitor related, however does this apply since its a QSound board? Does anyone know which caps specifically to replace rather than shotgunning the entire PCB?

MERCS-
I purchased this game in a lot, and it came with a dead A board. I swapped the B board onto a known working A board to get it running. The colors were all messed up on it, so I decided to reflow the solder on the C board. That fixed 99% of the color issues, however one remained. Only on certain sprites, the colors are messed up. Are a few of the C board pins still loose? Or is this something else?

Final Fight-
I got this rom board as 'untested' off of ebay. I fired it up on a known working A board, and sure enough, its bad. This one, when I power it on just loops the ringing phone audio sample (as heard in the demo loop). No graphics come on scree whatsoever. Its not playing blind, its almost as if the program roms start to execute, then halt.

Motherboard 1-
This motherboard plays with good audio and video, however there are random binary 0's and 1's that are layered over the screen that don't change or dissapear.

Motherboard 2-
This motherboard plays with good audio however it has corrupt graphics. Its almost as if the tiles for the sprites don't line up properly. I've read this is a ram related issue. Is there anyway to test the rams? Or from the description, can anyone determine which ram chip is bad?

Motherboard 3-
Completely dead, black screen. I'm thinking one of the processors is bad. Is this even worth diagnosing/fixing?

I have a few more motherbaords, however off the top of my head I can't recall exactly whats wrong with them. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!
Bill
IronGiant

Re: CPS1 Repair Inquiry

Post by IronGiant »

CPS1 boards can be a pain to fix, partly due to the various PALs that they use, partly because working on the mainboard is tricky due to the ROM board overlapping most or all of it (depending on whether you have the larger or small mainboard).

Channelmaniac has some good repair info on CPS1 boards that it would be worth you looking through:

http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?P ... opic=155.0
Formerly known here as R-Typer

Arcade game board repairer (known as 'Irongiant' and 'Vectorglow' on other arcade forums)