shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:30 am View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: RQ: Viper Phase 1 - talk to me about this game
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:58 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Nov 2007
Posts: 17508
Location: Planet Dust Asia
This is one of the most infuriating just-one-more-go shmups I've ever played. It's addictive as hell but driving me bananas.

I'm playing the USA version - is this in any way different to the other versions out there, and should I be thinking about a rom swap or something?

I was looking for some help with regard to weapon advice, rank and a few other bits. I'll just fire away, hope someone can help:

1: Which is the preferred weapon for most players. I'm using the green 'N' weapon mostly, but none of them have much range apart from the 'W' which seems weak.

2: Are there any life extends in this game, point based or hidden?

3: I can see that this game ranks up almost as fiercely as RF Jet, is there anything I can do to manage rank? I watched a youtube vid of shoesama and he picked up a certain number of power-ups and missed the rest. Does collecting multiple weapon pods also upgrade the firepower of the secondary weapon? Just need a hand trying to figure out what to avoid etc.

4: Why is the hitbox in this game so friggin large (it's basically the whole ship!). I keep getting pincered off by odd bullets and it's infuriating. I'm yet to make it past the third stage boss. Also the bomb deployment is bloody useless - too slow. And general tips on play advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks for the help guys!

:D
_________________
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RQ: Viper Phase 1 - talk to me about this game
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:36 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Posts: 7279
Location: England
Skykid wrote:
1: Which is the preferred weapon for most players. I'm using the green 'N' weapon mostly, but none of them have much range apart from the 'W' which seems weak.


[N] is rubbish, seriously. Stick to using [W], and learn to play at point-blank range, you can wipe out a lot of things quickly with it, and it has enough range to help you get close to or at 100% destruction per stage.

Skykid wrote:
2: Are there any life extends in this game, point based or hidden?


None at all, if I remember correctly.

Skykid wrote:
3: I can see that this game ranks up almost as fiercely as RF Jet, is there anything I can do to manage rank? I watched a youtube vid of shoesama and he picked up a certain number of power-ups and missed the rest. Does collecting multiple weapon pods also upgrade the firepower of the secondary weapon? Just need a hand trying to figure out what to avoid etc.


Yes. Die. :p
That's about it I guess. Doing a Garegga and dropping weapon items doesn't really do that much in the long run if at all, to be honest.

EDIT: Almost forgot, but picking up multiple weapon switchers only changes your subweapon. To actually power up your main and sub weapons, you have to collect shot powerups, the standard red [P] block.

Skykid wrote:
4: Why is the hitbox in this game so friggin large (it's basically the whole ship!). And general tips on play advice would be much appreciated.


Welcome to classic old-school Seibu. Don't even attempt to play it like a Cave game.
Bullet leading is a key technique in Seibu games - tap movements from one side of the screen to the other and back again to lead fast aimed shots - as well as quick pointblanking attacks when you can manage it. Seibu is about quick control and aggression, not fancy sneak dodges.

Here's an old 8.10mil run to stage7.
http://bigcore.rsdio.com/icarus/viperph ... t7_icr.avi
_________________
Image


Last edited by Icarus on Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:03 am 



Joined: 23 Jul 2008
Posts: 1785
Confirming that there are indeed no extends.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:24 am 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Nov 2007
Posts: 17508
Location: Planet Dust Asia
Thanks guys, that confirms my worst nightmares! :D

In honesty, it's a fantastic game - but brutal. It's good to know where I stand, so just to wrap up:

No extends - three lives and you're toast

Rank is only brought down by dying - but owing to the lack of lives, I'm assuming suiciding is pointless?

Only the P's power up your weapon. I could have sworn those shot changing pods were doing something, I guess not. I wish they'd get lost then, they can be really annoying to avoid or have to collect to keep your weapon!

Point blanking is good. I'm actually playing middle of the screen a lot more now. I did notice that Shoesama point blanks the big ships on stage2 with the 'W' and destroys them instantly - what am I doing wrong. I get shot down every time I try this. :?

And I'll leave the 'N' weapon alone then. I honestly thought that had the most potential - thanks for setting me straight!

Cheers guys. :wink:
_________________
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:49 pm 



Joined: 18 Oct 2007
Posts: 2182
Non-Japan versions loop.

Versions labeled "New Version" are the board standard, for certain reasons. The US NV is called "Viper Phase 1 - USA".
_________________
SURELY REVIVE


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:35 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 2541
Location: Toronto, ON
Skykid wrote:
Point blanking is good. I'm actually playing middle of the screen a lot more now. I did notice that Shoesama point blanks the big ships on stage2 with the 'W' and destroys them instantly - what am I doing wrong. I get shot down every time I try this. :?


If you're using MAME, Autofire Delay 1.
_________________
Image
*YouTube Channel - *HiScore Collection


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:02 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Nov 2007
Posts: 6679
Location: Casino Arcade (RIP), UK.
Double post! :oops: I keep doing this at the bloody moment...
_________________
Image
My Hi-Scores | My 1CCs


Last edited by spadgy on Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:02 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Nov 2007
Posts: 6679
Location: Casino Arcade (RIP), UK.
SFKhoa wrote:
Skykid wrote:
Point blanking is good. I'm actually playing middle of the screen a lot more now. I did notice that Shoesama point blanks the big ships on stage2 with the 'W' and destroys them instantly - what am I doing wrong. I get shot down every time I try this. :?


If you're using MAME, Autofire Delay 1.


Skykid's probably using the PCB with all original arts and a box!

I have the JPN board Skykid, and I agree - impossible to put down and frustrating as hell, but that's the perverse pleasure of Raiden's evil twin.

And yes - point blank everything like some Flash Shot maniac...
_________________
Image
My Hi-Scores | My 1CCs


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:58 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 2541
Location: Toronto, ON
No autofire circuits? D:
_________________
Image
*YouTube Channel - *HiScore Collection


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:31 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Nov 2007
Posts: 17508
Location: Planet Dust Asia
Hey all. So VP1 USA is indeed the same as the New version, except it's got a second loop? Awesome - superior version win!

I actually credit fed to the 2nd loop after hearing this to see what it's like and it's awesome - I actually prefer it to the 1st, it's more frantic.

Sfkhoa the board does have autofire, but nothing that will take those ships out as fast as in shoesama's 'ultrafail' vid.

Great game though.
_________________
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:37 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 2541
Location: Toronto, ON
Well, I didn't mean the default autofire. You need the type of autofire where it's like you're literally pressing the button every frame. That's how shoesama does it.
_________________
Image
*YouTube Channel - *HiScore Collection


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:38 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 12 Aug 2005
Posts: 1189
Oh yeah, don't shoot the medal carriers immediately when they come down, let them start to go back up then shoot them for more medals. Also try to get 100% shotdown rate because it gives you a huge EOS bonus.
_________________
<Aquas> EDMOND DROPPED OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL TO SMOKE COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF OPIUM
<Zeether> shoe failed college again <croikle> credit feed


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:28 am 



Joined: 18 Oct 2007
Posts: 2182
Skykid wrote:
Hey all. So VP1 USA is indeed the same as the New version, except it's got a second loop? Awesome - superior version win!

Yes. "Viper Phase 1 - USA" and any other New Version that was released outside of Japan should have a second loop. The same should go for any non-Japanese board of the old version.

Quote:
Sfkhoa the board does have autofire, but nothing that will take those ships out as fast as in shoesama's 'ultrafail' vid.

Yes. The "HI" speed setting is comparable to an autofire delay level of 5 or 6, via MAME.
_________________
SURELY REVIVE


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:47 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Nov 2007
Posts: 17508
Location: Planet Dust Asia
lgb wrote:
Skykid wrote:
Hey all. So VP1 USA is indeed the same as the New version, except it's got a second loop? Awesome - superior version win!

Yes. "Viper Phase 1 - USA" and any other New Version that was released outside of Japan should have a second loop. The same should go for any non-Japanese board of the old version.

Quote:
Sfkhoa the board does have autofire, but nothing that will take those ships out as fast as in shoesama's 'ultrafail' vid.

Yes. The "HI" speed setting is comparable to an autofire delay level of 5 or 6, via MAME.


Thanks for all the info mate, really helpful. I shamefully credit fed again today to have another go on that 2nd loop.Interesting it begins on stg 2, and by stg 4 it's even got suicide bullets. Nice.

As for autofire, I won't be PB'ing those ships on my PCB anymore. Damn you Sama, that was deceptive!
_________________
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:34 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Nov 2007
Posts: 6679
Location: Casino Arcade (RIP), UK.
Skykid wrote:
As for autofire, I won't be PB'ing those ships on my PCB anymore. Damn you Sama, that was deceptive!


Get in insanely close, and you can get away with it as your standard technique...
_________________
Image
My Hi-Scores | My 1CCs


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:05 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Mar 2008
Posts: 4187
Location: Brazil
Which stages are impossible to get 100% destruction rate?
_________________
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:
You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.


This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:34 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Posts: 7279
Location: England
Ruldra wrote:
Which stages are impossible to get 100% destruction rate?


Stage 4, impossible to get 100% due to a programming error causing a set of enemies to not even spawn in-stage. The rest of the game is 100%-able.
_________________
Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RQ: Viper Phase 1 - talk to me about this game
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:52 am 


User avatar

Joined: 21 Dec 2009
Posts: 2496
Location: internet
Bump, since I found out the local Round Table pizza got rid of Raiden II for this. (only stg within 180 miles)

So the main keys to survive are: keep to the Wide shot and attempt to point blank as much as possible?

Also, are ribbon values random?
_________________
lol


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RQ: Viper Phase 1 - talk to me about this game
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:01 pm 



Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 7036
Location: Bedford, UK
I think Bloodflowers sold one of these recently telling me "The one I have is the hard one".. I guessed from that that 2 revisions of the game exist. That there is a version with less difficulty floating around.
_________________
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:16 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 23 Dec 2005
Posts: 1848
Location: Ontario, Canada
mesh control wrote:
Also, are ribbon values random?


By ribbon you mean medal(s), right? If so, no they are not random. You'll notice when first uncovered, the medals will be blinking/flashing. After a second or two the medal will stop blinking at which point the value will increase significantly for a very brief period of time only to return to it's blinking nature and normal point value. There are a couple phases too, so you have a few windows of opportunity to get the larger value if you miss the first phase.

So the small medals start at 500pts and go to 2000pts and large medals from 1000pts to 3000pts. There's also the special medal which goes from 30000pts to 100000pts.
_________________
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RQ: Viper Phase 1 - talk to me about this game
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:36 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 4544
Location: SF Bay Area
neorichieb1971 wrote:
I think Bloodflowers sold one of these recently telling me "The one I have is the hard one".. I guessed from that that 2 revisions of the game exist. That there is a version with less difficulty floating around.


The original cart (not the NV or USA version) is the hard one. Different powerup system, less scoring, feels much more manic. Its pretty rare to find the original cart nowadays.
_________________
Arcadefever


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RQ: Viper Phase 1 - talk to me about this game
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:23 pm 



Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 7800
mesh control wrote:
Bump, since I found out the local Round Table pizza got rid of Raiden II for this. (only stg within 180 miles)

So the main keys to survive are: keep to the Wide shot and attempt to point blank as much as possible?

Also, are ribbon values random?


For mesh control,

It's possible to pick up a barebones Viper Phase 1 U.S.A. SP1 cartridge for about $50-$70 USD nowdays on the Shmups Trading forum. All you'd need is just a proper supergun setup + a USA region SP1 arcade motherboard & you're good to go. VP-1 U.S.A. is a fine arcade shmup title worthy of playing/owning. It'd help to use an external auto-fire PCB hack with adjustable auto-fire rates via pot trim adjustment to increase your score. Of course, there is the default auto-fire setting found on the VP-1 U.S.A.'s Operator's Menu screen settings...can select to activate it or not.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group