A good LCD monitor mount for TATE/rotation?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
koda

A good LCD monitor mount for TATE/rotation?

Post by koda »

I'm setting up a little custom arcade enclosure, and I'm getting ready to mount an LCD monitor. I've been looking for a low-profile monitor mount that will allow me to quickly rotate the monitor 90 degrees between portrait/landscape vertical/horizontal orientations.

I'm not looking to spend a whole lot, eBay has a lot of universal monitor mounts for $15-$35, which is great, but it seems like most of them don't allow for the right kind of rotation... or it's too difficult to tell by the pictures and description.

Have any of you guys dealt with something similar? Can anyone recommend a discreet mount that will rotate correctly, preferably on the cheap?

Thanks in advance for any ideas or info.
horrible at shmups!
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

I was recently browsing at my local Staples store and saw that they sell a 3M manufactured LCD monitor stand that has built-in portrait and landscape modes. I'm not exactly sure if it rotates properly for the Japanese game imports though. It is priced at $49.99 USD though. Might be worth a shot. You can buy any LCD-based PC monitor and remount it on this 3M monitor stand with said yoko and tate modes. ^_~

It looks like you want the more heavier-duty LCD TV monitor rotating mounts, right?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
koda

Post by koda »

Thanks for the heads-up.

I don't know that it has to be super heavy duty, as long as it can support a 20-24'' monitor... I'd guess that supporting up to 30-40 lbs would be more than sufficient.

It has to be able to rotate ninety degrees, but I don't need it to swivel/tilt in any other direction. The main thing I'm looking for is a low-profile -- it can't be very deep, because then the monitor would just be right up against my nose while I was playing. So those big arm mounts are out of the question.

Maybe going to Staples or a store like that would be the safest route, thanks again.
horrible at shmups!
lewisit

Re: A good LCD monitor mount for TATE/rotation?

Post by lewisit »

koda wrote:eBay has a lot of universal monitor mounts for $15-$35, which is great, but it seems like most of them don't allow for the right kind of rotation...
if a mount let's you rotate your monitor 90° it'll always be able to do so in the "right" direction!

if needed: just attach the monitor landscaped while the mount is rotated - now when the mount is unrotated your monitor is ;)
mandax

Post by mandax »

What would happen if a connect a higher res lcd monitor to a pc that only output 800x600 res? I can not change the video card on this kind of computer (Old computer system of a bowling alley that I'm trying to switch to lcds because the crts are becoming too expensive) Is it possible to do that? Will the lcd monitor get damage? Do I need some kind of adapter?
Last edited by mandax on Sat May 30, 2009 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Will work fine. The 800x600 will be scaled to fullscreen. On the better LCDs you can choose the upscaling behaviour (no scaling, but black bars / scaling while keeping the aspect ratio / scaling to fullscreen), but even the cheapest LCD does fullscreen scaling.
Gwyrgyn Blood

Post by Gwyrgyn Blood »

Keep in mind that most LCD screens with look like shit when not run at their native resolution. You'll probably get a blurry image at best like that.