The closest thing to a Namco Stick... for the Xbox 360

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Naiera

The closest thing to a Namco Stick... for the Xbox 360

Post by Naiera »

I'm sure many users here have tried using the classic Namco Stick at some point. This is what I used for the PS1 and 2 conversions of Cave shmups, and this is how I prefer playing them, with the exact feel of the stick and the buttons. I used it completely unmodified.

So, the question is, which stick comes the closest to having the same feel for the Xbox 360? Amazon in the UK have two different sticks, but the former is a bit out of the range I was hoping for. And I've read about durability issues with the cheaper one, in addition to it being hard to modify. I'm open to modification, as I know someone who can help me and get the parts. But of course I would prefer if it was well suited for modding in the first place.

I know someone in Maryland who could help me with shipping from the US to Europe. I would prefer if it was possible to buy any stick recommendations in either the UK or the US. I am not open to putting down $250 for a stick.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or other types of input.
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

1.get a namco stick.
2. take out the playstation pcb.
3. wire in an xbox 360 pcb.
4. tear up the hi-score forum.
Gwyrgyn Blood

Re: The closest thing to a Namco Stick... for the Xbox 360

Post by Gwyrgyn Blood »

Naiera wrote: So, the question is, which stick comes the closest to having the same feel for the Xbox 360? Amazon in the UK have two different sticks, but the former is a bit out of the range I was hoping for. And I've read about durability issues with the cheaper one, in addition to it being hard to modify. I'm open to modification, as I know someone who can help me and get the parts. But of course I would prefer if it was well suited for modding in the first place.
The Street Fighter stick there is the one with durability issues. It's a complete piece of shit and will die within hours of use. It is easy to mod however, and will be good to go after you mod it. The Hori EX stick is OKAY and will last through a little bit of use, but is hard to mod. I'd just get a Hori EX if you are not looking to spend a lot of money.
Naiera

Post by Naiera »

Thank you for the suggestions.

The fact that the Hori EX is hard to mod makes me nervous. If I buy it and it turns out to be crap I'd like it to be easy to mod. I don't know what the old Namco Stick is comparable to in terms of quality, but it's been suggested to me elsewhere that I should just get the Hori EX as well.

One thing to note is that I never liked the Dreamcast Agetec sticks. I'd very much like to avoid something that feels like that one.
bostongeorge

Post by bostongeorge »

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=25609

You won't find a better 360 stick for less than this one ($120) and it's already modded, ready to go arcade quality out of the box.

And if you ever do wanna mod it (like switch the Sanwa stick for a Seimitsu one) it's super easy.
Team SSD
Naiera

Post by Naiera »

I have to say that it appeals to me because the buttons and the stick seem to have the exact same colour as my old Namco Stick ;)