Sega Blast City

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Plastic

Sega Blast City

Post by Plastic »

Is there anything I should know about this? It is the first candy cabinet I've seen ANYWHERE near me, and it's my understanding Blast City's are quite pricey, and this is quite cheap ($400) ;)

Is there a difference between this cabinet and a Blast City I could order from, say, Coin Op Express? Would it be as simple as swapping control panels? Or is this sucker dedicated?

Thanks!
cools

Post by cools »

Check how bad the monitor burn in is, if it's ok - snap it up.

You have no idea what the cabling is like inside, but at that price you shouldn't worry. The control panel will just swap out with any Sega type panel.

The only bit that looks weird is what I'm guessing is a coin chute heading down from the control panel. That might leave some odd holes when removed.
antron

Post by antron »

look for goop dripping from/on the monitor chassis. I heard about some problems with these.

I'm looking for one of these myself. but just the shell.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

its had bass fishing in it...expect major burn in on the monitor.....

but for that price its well worth it if its in working order....monitors can be replaced fairly easily.....
Plastic

Post by Plastic »

Honestly, I know the price is great, and for how long I've been looking for a local candy I'd be insane to pass it up... But if it needs a new monitor, or is beat up, I may have to :( I live in a one bedroom apartment and don't want a massive eye sore in here for months.

He claims it comes with a "spare control panel"; I'm not sure if that's with sticks or another bass ass thing.

Fortunately, it's only 45 minutes away :D I can easily go check it out before I buy. If it looks good, all mine :)

Anyone know where I can get a control panel for it? Also, what do I need to purchase to make it JAMMA compliant?

Thanks!
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Here's a review that claims that monitor burn in is rare in Blast City cabinets: http://www.hard--candy.com/index.asp?pa ... ty+Reviews

Blast City has Model 3 wiring as default, but perhaps this cab has "had some work done"? :P

An extra panel *should* mean one with sticks, right?
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Plastic

Post by Plastic »

I would hope/assume.

I'm pretty sure the Bass game isn't JAMMA; I need some type of adapter. I read it's basically plug and play, but I'm just not sure what I need.

EDIT: http://cgi.ebay.com/SEGA-MODEL-1-2-OR-3 ... .m20.l1116

I think this is all I need...

He says in the description, verbatim, it includes "an extra header and parts control panel"
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

$400 asking price
$300 replace monitor
$150 replace control panel
$20 replace wiring
-----
$870 total is not bad for a Blast City. Of course you can find Astro's for cheaper.
Plastic

Post by Plastic »

Honestly, if the monitor needs to be replaced, I am not buying it. He just told me that it has no burn in, though.

I also only need the panel; no buttons. I have a box of Seimitsu buttons and sticks on the way ;)

I'd say, $500, total. I just want to make sure it's all in good shape.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Plastic wrote:I would hope/assume.

I'm pretty sure the Bass game isn't JAMMA; I need some type of adapter. I read it's basically plug and play, but I'm just not sure what I need.

EDIT: http://cgi.ebay.com/SEGA-MODEL-1-2-OR-3 ... .m20.l1116

I think this is all I need...

He says in the description, verbatim, it includes "an extra header and parts control panel"
That Bill Burger ebay auction for the Sega Model 1/2/3 Jamma adapter harness is just a Jamma harness so that you can play said Sega Model # PCB on a Jamma standard cabinet setup. Of course, the arcade RGB monitor would have to have medium resolution 24kHz support.

So if you were get that Sega Bass candy cab, you would take out the huge Sega Model 3 PCB setup that comprises the Bass game and configure it for standard Jamma...then you'd be in business to play those cool low-res 15kHz arcade shmup PCB titles. Don't know if the monitor tates on that particular Sega Bass candy cab though. If it does, you're in luck. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

blasts are jamma compatible stock

as for that article claiming no burn on blast monitors....brendz has one in his place that would beg to differ....worst burn-in ive ever seen
Plastic

Post by Plastic »

So torn. :(
cools

Post by cools »

Don't trust anyone you don't know on burn in unless they can supply you with good photos of a flat coloured screen. Even then, best to see it in real life (it might be less visible than the photo shows).

Travel, check it over thoroughly, take the cash with you - if it's good, point out all the flaws you're going to have to fork out to fix and haggle for it then and there. Whatever you do, don't go back a second time! :D
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

cools wrote:Don't trust anyone you don't know on burn in unless they can supply you with good photos of a flat coloured screen. Even then, best to see it in real life (it might be less visible than the photo shows).

Travel, check it over thoroughly, take the cash with you - if it's good, point out all the flaws you're going to have to fork out to fix and haggle for it then and there. Whatever you do, don't go back a second time! :D
good advice.....in my experience most people sing a very different tune as soon as they realize you are informed on things and know whats what.....

drop technical terms, and even if you dont know whats what, act like you do....it works wonders for haggling.....

for example...the last mame cab i did....the guy initially wanted $600 for it...i emailed voicing my concerns and what i needed to see(including technical specs and stuff), and his next reply he dropped the price by $200 :wink:

i ended up getting it for $250
:lol:
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

i have owned and converted 4 Bass Fishing Blast City cabs and everyone of them has had burn in the monitor. I only know of i think two bass fishing cabs that do not have monitor burn in.

to convert this cabinet you will need a panel with buttons and sticks and harnesses as well as a Blast City JVS->Jamma harness. The bass fishing cab is wired for model 3 but you can plug the harness directly into the cabinet and be all set for jamma or JVS hardware such as Naomi.

Blast City monitor chasis are time bombs and most likely it will goop at some point in time and be rendered useless. Every Blast City i know of with the exception of 1 or 2 has had a gooped chasis at one point or another.

If you pick this cab up, shoot me a PM as I have an extra blank SEGA Blast City 2L8B panel (2 player, 4 buttons each player).

Where are you located by the way, if you are at all close, I may have a replacement monitor for you as well.
Plastic

Post by Plastic »

Unfortunately, I'm not close. I live in Arkansas (which is why I got so excited when I saw this was 45 minutes away).

I will definitely take you up on that panel if I buy this; what do you want for it?

I am going to go check out this thing tomorrow afternoon. Anything else you guys feel I should be aware of?
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

look for burn in on the monitor while it is powered off as well as powered on. operators seem to think "barely being able to see it while the game is on a certain colored screen" means it doesn't exist.

also you want to take the back panel off the cab to check the chasis to see if there is any brown goop on the chasis like in this picture...

the monitor may still properly function while having the goop on the chasis but as i said earlier in the thread, Blast monitors are time bombs.

also flip the control panel open and see if the plastic surrounding the panel is cracked or broken anyplace. lots of times there is significant cracking or breakage near the front corners.

besides the monitor, i absolutely love the cabs. the Blast monitor when functioning properly is an amazing monitor, just sucks that they crap out so frequently.

i'll PM you about the panel.
Plastic

Post by Plastic »

Beautiful. Thanks everyone so much for the advice!

I really hope it works out... If not, back to my supergun project... And the hunt will continue for my dream candy within driving distance. :wink:
Plastic

Post by Plastic »

He just sent me a LOT of pictures.

:cry:

Not exactly beat, but not in the best condition. It appears to have some box bolted to the bottom (so you can stand at it). So there would be a lot of repairs at the base to conceal those.

And it just generally is a bit beat up :(

So cheap, SO SO SOS OSO SOSOSO close...

FML.
robivy64

Post by robivy64 »

Most US Blast City cabs have that. It can be removed easily. You are going to have a hard time finding a perfect candy in Arkansas, or anywhere in the South for that matter. You can always expect to put a little work in any cab you buy. If I caught wind of that cab and I lived in the area, it would have already been sold.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

rob speaks the truth. you'll be amazed at how far a little TLC goes. 3 of the Blast City cabs i bought were total ass and they all cleaned up really well, plus you will learn a lot by taking the cab completely apart to clean it and then putting it back together. $400 for a working cab is a pretty decent deal esp. if the monitor is in fair shape. most scratches and marks can be minimized or rubbed out with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, and once you remove all that shitty USA bracket shit from the cab it will look a lot better.

you wont find a cab like that for that price in your area.
Plastic

Post by Plastic »

Gah, I know.

One other new discovery... It's also missing the back panels.

I'm getting to the point where I should just expect to pay freight on something.

I don't mind putting in a bit of work, but I also don't have the space to buy a candy for a big project. However, you're all right... There is no way a blast city, or ANY candy, is going to show up at my house, 45 minutes away, likely ever again.

I'm just going to need to go look at it. I may fall in lub.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

buy it....you will regret it if you dont
cools

Post by cools »

It won't be a big project, even with the Blast being one of the larger ones. Everything sits together neatly even when unbolted. So long as you don't have a cat around to sit on the chassis....
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

cools wrote:It won't be a big project, even with the Blast being one of the larger ones. Everything sits together neatly even when unbolted. So long as you don't have a cat around to sit on the chassis....
Keep them feline pets away from the monitor chassis and all will be well. ^_~
antron

Post by antron »

or find the right piece of wood to close it.

try to talk him down. tell him you have a cat. if you find goop show him and tell him the chassis is fubared. tell him you don't even like bass fishing and you have to do a lot to it.

also, astro city control panels are the same size, and you can get clones of those cheap.
Last edited by antron on Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cools

Post by cools »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:Keep them feline pets away from the monitor chassis and all will be well. ^_~
Have to be far too vigilant when working on cabs. Turn my back for a second and they could have the cat inside finding wires great things to play with and PCBs great things to sit on.

Then, to get her out of there without damaging anything or having her decide the neck looks like a great thing to swing on. :shock:
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

to be honest, i can't imagine it would be too terribly expensive to have a rear door made. i can provide dimensions and angles if need be, even a CAD drawing i guess as it's a pretty damn simple piece.
Plastic

Post by Plastic »

Yeah. I was thinking I could make the rear door myself. Just bend a sheet of aluminum, paint, done.

I'm looking at it tomorrow. I'm going to see how far down I can get him to go... I will likely end up buying it.

In which case, it will be in storage until complete. I don't want my apartment to say hello until it's a thing of beauty. ;)

Next stop... Batrider.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

Jonny wrote:to be honest, i can't imagine it would be too terribly expensive to have a rear door made. i can provide dimensions and angles if need be, even a CAD drawing i guess as it's a pretty damn simple piece.
do you know if its the same as the back panel off an astro?

if it is i got one you can have for cost of shipping :D