Giga Wing Generations website open now!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

jiji wrote:
cigsthecat wrote:It's pretty sweet not being a Gigawing fan right about now.
Indeed. Framerate problems and 30fps are far more of a dealbreaker than lack of tate, and it sounds like this one is a gigantic mess all around. Definitely avoiding.

More info on the 30fps and framedropping: http://www.mmcafe.com/cgi-bin/forums/bb ... 0648.shtml
Yeah, after a good night's sleep, the framerate and disappointment with gameplay some are feeling are indeed worse than no TATE. I'd rather have a game that shows Takumi is still trying to make a decent shooter than no TATE in a home port. :(
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

I was stupid enough to listen to the "experts" in this forum to pre-order this game. I had cancelled my original pre-order because of rumors about frame-rate issues (which proved to be true).

Oh well, I have no one to blame except myself, but I will take any future "recommendations" with great skepticism.

Looks like I will be selling this game on either eBay or the trading forum. I could have bought a proven game like Battle Garegga for the Saturn instead of this turkey.
Tychom

Post by Tychom »

FWIW the game is still fun for sure, the bullet patterns are less scattered than GW2 and much more in line with stages 4 & 5 from GW1 as well as plenty of large clusters MM style (think start of stage 3). There's much more fast aimed stuff too which along with the vertical orientation gives it a slighty more Cave-ish style at times, particularly because as Kiken said there are large whole in the patterns so at times you can just dodge.
Neon

Post by Neon »

I was stupid enough to listen to the "experts" in this forum to pre-order this game.
Don't look at me, I recommended Dragon Blaze :wink:
system11

Post by system11 »

My preorder was delayed due to Dragon Blaze bundling. I've cancelled it. Lack of tate I really don't mind at all (I'd never have used it). 30fps? Kiss of death.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Neon wrote:
I was stupid enough to listen to the "experts" in this forum to pre-order this game.
Don't look at me, I recommended Dragon Blaze :wink:
Exactly. I almost never preorder shmups anymore. Last one I preordered was Ikaruga. Now I always wait until I here some general consensus and even then I still get burned from time to time (Psyvariar 2, Chaos Field...).

As far as lack of tate not being an issue...hmmm, ever tried playing the PSX version of Donpachi without the tate???
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
Fighter17
Banned User

Post by Fighter17 »

Is tate so that important people? :roll:
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Fighter17 wrote:Is tate so that important people? :roll:
Are you even reading what people are posting in this thread!?? Baiting is not looked kindly upon.
Fighter17
Banned User

Post by Fighter17 »

Dave_K. wrote:
Are you even reading what people are posting in this thread!?? Baiting is not looked kindly upon.

I don't what you just said to me, but by reading what everybody saiding about this game, it's not worth $60. I was hoping this game will be good. :cry:
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Fighter17 wrote: I don't what you just said to me, but by reading what everybody saiding about this game, it's not worth $60. I was hoping this game will be good. :cry:
Sorry, your question on importance of tate was clearly answered a couple times in the thread. Asking if its worth $60 is also quite subjective, but the consensus is that 30fps is a bigger turnoff than lack of tate.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

I remember seeing arguments in here when I first joined (back in the day) about tate, and relating it to elitism, but the issue is, yes it is important. Even if you never plan on flipping your TV screen, it is still something that you should care about. The problem is, some games, in not allowing tate, chose to simply lop off the top and bottom of the screen (no different than when you pick up a movie in 'full screen' where the right and left sides are lopped of). In the later case, you aren't seeing the whole film, in the former case, you aren't seeing the whole game. Case in point, if you play Galactic Attack on the Saturn w/out tate, you'll miss the upper half of the screen. The PSX version of Donpachi which offers no satisfactory Yoko mode does the same thing, only to a more drastic (and ultimately unplayable) effect. Like movies, I want to see the whole game.

One way around this is to offer a yoko mode that shows the whole screen but has black bars on both sides (essentially a vertical 'letter box' approach, but depending on how tall the original screen was, this can reduce the detail or the original game immensely (as is the case with GWG), making this no better a solution.

Another way that some game makers have approached it is they have lopped off the top and bottom, but readjusted game play to compensate for the smaller game area, or in another case, there's been a compromise between this approach and also having some letter boxing, so we get a somewhat smaller screen and a somewhat easier game play.

Despite all these solutions, a lot of shmup players are going to what to play the game tated and well, can you blame them? If a movie only came out on dvd in full screen, a few movie buffs would refuse to buy it. This is a pretty similar situation.

It unfortunately, along with everything else that has been reported here, shows an over all lack of care or concern in bringing this game to production.
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
SHMUP sale page.
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

Dave_K. wrote:
What Dave said. Lack of TATE, lack of polish, lack of decent frame rate.
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

Cugel wrote:I was stupid enough to listen to the "experts" in this forum to pre-order this game. I had cancelled my original pre-order because of rumors about frame-rate issues (which proved to be true).

Oh well, I have no one to blame except myself, but I will take any future "recommendations" with great skepticism.

Looks like I will be selling this game on either eBay or the trading forum. I could have bought a proven game like Battle Garegga for the Saturn instead of this turkey.
OK Cugel, I am a little confused. I don't remember ever hearing a huge shout of praise from folks who played the arcade rev of GWG or any of those folks urging people to get the PS2 disc. Maybe you got worked up a bit reading some folks' comments who were just excited to get the game on PS2 after fond memories of the first two games until we learned that it has some flaws and we didn't get a stellar port? It got lukewarm-average impressions at best from people who played the arcade game besides the fact folks found the point blank system kinda neat. But yeah, definitely put your resources into getting Garegga, it will not disappoint you unless you are really jaded. Best $54 I ever spent and one of my top 3 fave shooters.
system11

Post by system11 »

CMoon wrote:As far as lack of tate not being an issue...hmmm, ever tried playing the PSX version of Donpachi without the tate???
That's not so much a lack of tate being an issue, as the poor yoko mode being an issue. Whether it supports vertical or not, people who can't or won't turn their TVs get a pretty shitty experience. I found that one out to my cost recently, I can't believe someone at Cave thought that was playable in any way.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Neon wrote:Why is my last post missing? Odd...
My first post in this thread started the Tate or No-Tate question (based on the first screenshots)...and it also disapeard. Something is definately wrong with the boards...
Fighter17
Banned User

Post by Fighter17 »

CMoon wrote:

One way around this is to offer a yoko mode that shows the whole screen but has black bars on both sides (essentially a vertical 'letter box' approach, but depending on how tall the original screen was, this can reduce the detail or the original game immensely (as is the case with GWG), making this no better a solution.
Ture about that! But I'll never get my TV tate so I really don't care about it. Also tate TVs don't live that long. :x
subcons

Post by subcons »

Fighter17 wrote:Ture about that! But I'll never get my TV tate so I really don't care about it. Also tate TVs don't live that long. :x
LCDs man. It's the shooter way of the future. :wink:
Fighter17
Banned User

Post by Fighter17 »

subcons wrote: LCDs man. It's the shooter way of the future. :wink:

really? HOw LCDs tvs live that long on tate?
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

Fighter17 wrote:

LCD monitors are light and durable, so they can be rotated at a whim.
japtor

Post by japtor »

but lcds dont have the same harmful electrons to the eyes effect that tubes do. its part of the charm of arcade machines, being close to the screen and having your retinas burned out. its like taking the h off a honda, "thats how you know its a honda!"

(but yeah theyre easy to tate, course the only lcds ive tated have been my notebooks)
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Hmmm, my Tate TV has been going a couple years now and seems to be doing fine. I think the answer is to buy a cheap tv that will remained tated all the time.
SHMUP sale page.
subcons

Post by subcons »

Fighter17 wrote:

LCDs don't need to degauss, it's not an issue like with CRTs. You can flip them at will without harming them in any way what-so-ever. And you don't even need to get a LCD TV. It's a waste of money at the moment IMO--far too pricey. You can get a much cheaper LCD monitor for a computer and just hook your systems in through an XRGB. It's more cost effective and far more flexible because you can also use it with CRT monitors if you have one of those as well. The picture with a CRT will blow you away.

XRGB's were made for arcade and shooter fans alike. Everyone on this board should own one.
TVG

Post by TVG »

speaking about screens...

how would an arcade monitor cost? and, would i be able to plug a console on it?
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

raiden wrote:
I can't imagine why a "huge Giga Wing fan" would be so put off by this.
by being a huge Giga Wing fan and a huge tate fan at the same time? You know, some time ago I had a plan to actually rip the Giga Wing romset for all the graphic sets and then go and re-program the thing for tate, to make a new game with exactly the same graphics, level design and music, only in tate. Can you imagine what it felt like reading Giga Wing Generations WILL be tate? Like heaven or something. Then reports of Type X hardware sucking came up, and the PS2 port was my focus of hope, and now they fucked that up, too. Probably, it wasn´t even intentional, but the PS2 just can´t handle the game (why else 30fps?), and it would run even worse in tate. However, since Type X also sucks (besides being terribly expensive), I think I´ll go back to my original plan.
Wow, go for it. That is one killer ambitious project.

And I suppose you'd be the person to go to when I need my Progear CPS2 battery re-routed? :)
Fighter17
Banned User

Post by Fighter17 »

raiden, go for it!!! :D
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

The thirty-second initial bootup time really is annoying.

The way GWG picks up right after the first game is nice. I miss having the characters and dialogue, but that's a side issue. Not having Tate is kind of ghetto- if the PS2 resolution is 640 x 480, then that means a 3:4 game play window would be 360 x 480 compared to the arcade's 480 x 640. Ouch.

When this happens in a Taito published game, you just have to wonder what the hell's up.

The soundtrack I actually think is decent, but the intro is a little underwhelming. Graphically it doesn't seem like a big jump over Giga Wing 2. GWG will seem a tad easy if you've had practice with other games in the series. It didn't take me long to work up to stage 5 and 3 quintillion pts.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
uwfan

Post by uwfan »

Ill probably buy it at some point.
"It could be that my view on the absurdness of this story is not objective and you don't think it to be unusual at all but I can't help being impressed by this chain of events."
parodius

Post by parodius »

Any video yet ?

I probably won't buy it since I don't really like the GigaWing series and was equally unimpressed by the arcade GWG version I saw in Japan, but still...
My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.
velocity7

Post by velocity7 »

Equally unimpressed? I guess that makes two of us.

Things that let down the PS2 version:

1. 15 fps (no fucking kidding here, only 15 fucking frames per second!)
2. No TATE mode (I mean, for a vertical game, at least have the TATE mode... what the hell?!)

Things that contributed to problems but could have been ignored anyway:

1. Graphics:
a. Mediocre explosions
b. Clunky interface and too simplistic
2. No extras

From what I'm told, the arcade Type-X version originally had 60 fps with lots of slowdown. I don't care about slowdown, because that's what gives me life and keeps me alive in shooters! How dare they framecap this game at a disappointing 15 fps!

I give this an abysmal 3/10. If the framerate were at least 60 fps w/ slowdowns, perhaps this would be 7 or 7.5.
Rob

Post by Rob »

velocity7 wrote:1. 15 fps (no fucking kidding here, only 15 fucking frames per second!)
Next lot of impressions and it'll be down to 5 fps.