shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:03 am View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Going to play Radiant Silvergun for the first time
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 7:28 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 1070
Location: Harman's Room
Whoo, came in the mail today...got it from Asmoday on neo-geo.com for $180 shipped and it's in mint condition.

Impressions to come!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 7:35 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 954
Location: Edinburgh Scotland
When i first played it Radiant Silvergun it blew me away! That was when it was first released of course. I doubt it will have the same impact on you now, but i really hope it does as it is utterly fantastic.
I guess it would be hard to just enjoy the game without having all the hype that RS gets going through your head, but at the time i didn't even read one review of RS and i just didn't know what to expect.
In some ways i envy you.
_________________
Ikaruga review now up in PLASMA BLOSSOM


Last edited by Ord on Fri May 13, 2005 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 9:08 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Posts: 1796
Location: Tampa, FL
Enjoy the Holy Grail of Saturn shmups!! :lol:

Lucky you....
_________________
Shmups: It's all about blowing stuff up!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 9:44 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 3636
Location: Uncanny Valley
Put a diaper on in case you crap yourself playing it. The first time is that amazing.
_________________
"Sooo, what was it that you consider a 'good salary' for a man to make?"
"They should at least make 100K to have a good life"
...


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 10:03 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2005
Posts: 874
Location: American Ninja
It doesn't really get interesting till the final level.
_________________
http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonseyes/


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 10:42 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 1468
Location: South Texas USA
It had better be in mint condition for $180.00!!!!!

I don't think you'll need any diapers though...maybe some tissues to wipe the tears from all the damn hype!!!
_________________
http://www.vodkatron.com/index.htm


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 11:40 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 2322
It is an amazing shooter. Just try to erase all the hype from your mind before you play it and just think to yourself this is going to be one awesome Treasure game. Cuz it is.


I'll never forget the first time I played it way back in February 2000 when i finally got my modded Saturn. Played Souky for the first time also that night, talk about a sensory overload of shooter goodnesss.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 12:45 am 


User avatar

Joined: 14 Apr 2005
Posts: 25
Location: Kill Devil Hills, NC (real name - cool town)
One hundred and eighty dollars....

Wow.

<picks jaw off floor>


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 12:58 am 


User avatar

Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Posts: 1796
Location: Tampa, FL
obxStorm wrote:
One hundred and eighty dollars....

Wow.

<picks jaw off floor>


Why do you think I call it the Holy Grail of Saturn shmups? :lol: Because it is nigh impossible to obtain for the remotely sane.
_________________
Shmups: It's all about blowing stuff up!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 1:15 am 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 1070
Location: Harman's Room
To prepare myself to play Radiant Silvergun, for a few weeks I calmed myself down about it to lower my anticipation. I acted as if it were just another game – I didn’t want to falsify what I thought of it due to high hype.

So it turns out that I find RSG to be nothing special.

I got to the second ‘real’ boss (I say ‘real’ because the game’s pretty much a bossfest so far; it can be difficult to discern which boss is the boss and which is just a miniboss). The graphics look like they’ve aged terribly; yet another polygonal game from the PS1-dominated era that looks like rubbish.

The best qualities of this game I find so far is the extreme difficulty and the ability to switch other weapons; my favorite button combination for a weapon is A+B, with those lasers that look like the miniboss’s lasers in the third level of Ikaruga.

The anime cinemas actually look kinda funny. I think I’ll go to that RSG Translation site now and see what those guys were talking about.

Anyways, yeah, so far Radiant Silvergun is hu-hum.

HU-HUM.

But oh yeah, that combo system sure is neat-o.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 3:10 am 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 2322
Quote:
The graphics look like they’ve aged terribly; yet another polygonal game from the PS1-dominated era that looks like rubbish.


Baloney, I think they have aged fine. Using this argument I suppose I should tell R-TYPE Delta fans that game's visuals have aged like crap?

The use of 3D and 2D art in RS was melded very nicely IMHO and stretched the Saturn hardware admirably. On the PS1 it woulda been blur city, there's a reason Crave opted not to port it. Also, the light effetcs on some of the explosions are crisp and beautiful.

To each their own on the gameplay though, I can understand why boss hunts aren't for everyone.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 3:48 am 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 12532
Location: Wherever.
I'd agree that there are some aspects of the graphics which look antiquated now, but imho a lot of the stuff, especially on the 2D end, holds up quite nicely. I'm also curious that you didn't mention the sound...that piece of the game tends to rely on whether or not you don't mind classical-type stuff in a shmup, or demand fast-paced techno stuff all the time. As for the anime/plot, it's ridiculous and pretentious, the same as a lot of Treasure's other plots; just boil it down to "blow up similarly colored stuff, good things happen" and leave it at that. :P

I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic in mentioning the chaining system...some people love it, some people despise it...
_________________
"Fight me IRL if you want to man up so badly."
Glossary / Discussion / The Bizaar / Vasara HS


Top
 Online Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 3:51 am 


User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2005
Posts: 5082
Location: OHIO
Dylan1CC wrote:
Quote:
The graphics look like they’ve aged terribly; yet another polygonal game from the PS1-dominated era that looks like rubbish.


Baloney, I think they have aged fine. Using this argument I suppose I should tell R-TYPE Delta fans that game's visuals have aged like crap?

The use of 3D and 2D art in RS was melded very nicely IMHO and stretched the Saturn hardware admirably. On the PS1 it woulda been blur city, there's a reason Crave opted not to port it. Also, the light effetcs on some of the explosions are crisp and beautiful.

To each their own on the gameplay though, I can understand why boss hunts aren't for everyone.


IMHO RSG is one of the best looking games EVER.
_________________
my research


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 3:53 am 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 2322
I hope I didn't sound cranky Sage. Anyways, as BM said they are "antiquated" now, yes. But I still like 'em in the sense of how well they're executed for the Saturn's limitations. The animation itself on the bosses is quite impressive too IMHO. Look at how the mech dragon bobs, slithers and weaves.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 4:02 am 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 2322
professor ganson wrote:
Dylan1CC wrote:
Quote:
The graphics look like they’ve aged terribly; yet another polygonal game from the PS1-dominated era that looks like rubbish.


Baloney, I think they have aged fine. Using this argument I suppose I should tell R-TYPE Delta fans that game's visuals have aged like crap?

The use of 3D and 2D art in RS was melded very nicely IMHO and stretched the Saturn hardware admirably. On the PS1 it woulda been blur city, there's a reason Crave opted not to port it. Also, the light effetcs on some of the explosions are crisp and beautiful.

To each their own on the gameplay though, I can understand why boss hunts aren't for everyone.


IMHO RSG is one of the best looking games EVER.


Agreed. It's also tied with Garegga for my fave shmups of all time.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 9:43 am 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 3934
Location: Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
LoneSage wrote:
To prepare myself to play Radiant Silvergun, for a few weeks I calmed myself down about it to lower my anticipation. I acted as if it were just another game ? I didn?t want to falsify what I thought of it due to high hype.

So it turns out that I find RSG to be nothing special.

I got to the second ?real? boss (I say ?real? because the game?s pretty much a bossfest so far; it can be difficult to discern which boss is the boss and which is just a miniboss). The graphics look like they?ve aged terribly; yet another polygonal game from the PS1-dominated era that looks like rubbish.

The best qualities of this game I find so far is the extreme difficulty and the ability to switch other weapons; my favorite button combination for a weapon is A+B, with those lasers that look like the miniboss?s lasers in the third level of Ikaruga.

The anime cinemas actually look kinda funny. I think I?ll go to that RSG Translation site now and see what those guys were talking about.

Anyways, yeah, so far Radiant Silvergun is hu-hum.

HU-HUM.

But oh yeah, that combo system sure is neat-o.


Yes! You should join our case

"Radiant Silvergun is the MOST OVERRATED SHMUP EVER!"


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 11:14 am 


User avatar

Joined: 14 Apr 2005
Posts: 25
Location: Kill Devil Hills, NC (real name - cool town)
LoneS: I guess you can look at the $180.00 as one big ass deposit. Once you're done with the game (which it sounds like you soon may be) you can just list it on eGouge and pretty much get all your money back. It's not like the game has been depreciating. But keep your eyes on the prices - I smell an RSG bubble!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 11:26 am 


User avatar

Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 862
Location: Cologne
Quote:
But keep your eyes on the prices - I smell an RSG bubble!


why, all of a sudden? Prices have been constant for about 5 years now, and it doesn´t seem like the game is about to be rereleased.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 1:11 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 14 Apr 2005
Posts: 25
Location: Kill Devil Hills, NC (real name - cool town)
raiden wrote:
Quote:
But keep your eyes on the prices - I smell an RSG bubble!


why, all of a sudden? Prices have been constant for about 5 years now, and it doesn´t seem like the game is about to be rereleased.


Just tryin' to be funny - what with all the real estate bubble talk and all.

Carry on.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 4:09 pm 



Joined: 29 Apr 2005
Posts: 19
It's old.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 4:32 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Posts: 1092
futurespa wrote:
It's old.


:roll:


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 4:43 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 1267
Location: United Kingdom
I got my copy last saturday

All I have to say is IT IS NOT OVERATED! best £82 quid I ever spent not looking back at all.

visuals have aged well! I think it looks in many ways better than the games on the dreamcast.

Weapon system is what I've been after for 2 years, finally a game a bit like thunder force 4 only better. I wish I had picked this up years ago Its reignited my passion for gaming I played my first session 7 hours straight!

Beaten arcade mode a few times and damn! love it. Saturn mode rocks with the extra fights and level in. I reckon I'll get at least 50 hours in on this soon.

Only critiscim I have is ship speed, All I thought was ''Oh crap its a boat'' then I got better and sorted out timing for those narrow sections where you chase ''Gallops?'' Unfortunately my action replay cart is dead so I have to buy a japanese model with step down adaptor. Good job after 50 hrs you can make the ship faster So i gave it

9.5 out of 10. Best Shmup I ever played hands down.

Yeah I think the hype around the game really adds to the experience you just know its incredible when those clouds meld perfectly.

As for the polygons

Yes they are a bit chunky however they are bloody solid like panzer dragoon sagas not that watery crap in 32 bit systems. I like em suit the game well. boss wise yeah theres a lot but its all good stuff attaclks are that varied they are a joy to fight.
_________________
Vidi Vici Veni


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 6:34 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 917
i never played radiant silvergun, and dont plan to (had the chance the other day but preferred just to look)
yet its one of the games i hate the most, not because of the game itself but because of the morons that make it seem like radiant silvergun renders other shooters obsolete.
i also hate ikaruga for that, but a bit less. i like playing ikaruga tho, and will probably try to masteer it once i get something decent to play the DC games with(read: NOT the DC controller piece of crap)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 10:08 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Apr 2005
Posts: 226
Location: Escaping to the Freedom
RSG is indeed an awesome game, but it in no way renders other games obsolete. It's also a bit long to caually pull out for short sessions.

Also Sage, as I told you elsewhere, you should try playing beyond the 3rd stage. The game really picks up from there.

Also, the game will actually make you better at shmups. Shot patterns always appear in seemingly impossible spreads, but they always encourage you to use your small hitbox to weave through the gaps as often as possible.

Since I played RSG, my weaving skills have improved in just about every other shmup as well.
SO GET BACK TO WORK AND PLAY MORE :P
_________________
currently collecting a crapload of coasters, carts, controllers, and consoles
Track my "Progress"


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 10:18 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 1267
Location: United Kingdom
Only other game i've played that made me feel terrible at shmups was my first go on garegga.

Must've died 50 times easilly in arcade mode first play, compared to the 30 continues :!: I used in garegga :arrow: (PLAYING WITH KEYBOARD) lol :roll:

Now I'm 1 lifing the thing until the 3rd stage somewhere.
_________________
Vidi Vici Veni


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 11:09 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 688
Location: Virginia, USA
The vagrant wrote:
its one of the games i hate the most, not because of the game itself but because of the morons that make it seem like radiant silvergun renders other shooters obsolete.


That's a really fucking stupid reason to "hate" a video game. Especially one that, by your own admission, you've never played. Good show, slugger.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 11:24 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 917
OmegaFlareX wrote:
The vagrant wrote:
its one of the games i hate the most, not because of the game itself but because of the morons that make it seem like radiant silvergun renders other shooters obsolete.


That's a really fucking stupid reason to "hate" a video game. Especially one that, by your own admission, you've never played. Good show, slugger.


if you knew how to read, you'd have noticed how i "hate" ikaruga, yet im saying that i like playing it and will try to master it.
does that make sense to some you? i dont really hate the game as i hate the hype it gets from morons that dont play shmups nor RS, i tought it would be obvious to anyone, not like "anyone" lacks comprehension skills.

but im really not interested in RS, ive seen it plenty, both in video footage and IRL now, and i dont think its something ill enjoy playing as it seems to borrow more from super aleste type games than arcade shooters.

ikaruga is fine however.
still hate how any shmup related discussion in some forums ends about how X game looks 16 bit, and how ikaruga is the second coming because you can PERFECT CHAIN WOW WASFGL


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 11:59 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 8002
The vagrant wrote:
it seems to borrow more from super aleste type games than arcade shooters.

You've read my mind.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 12:08 am 


User avatar

Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Posts: 1796
Location: Tampa, FL
You know, eventually I will have to get Radient Silvergun, seeing as I now own a Saturn and all, but I think I'm going to save it for last. Go out with a BANG you know? :twisted:
_________________
Shmups: It's all about blowing stuff up!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 2:36 am 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 12532
Location: Wherever.
Of course RSG is overrated to some extent; you've got to pay a king's ransom to get ahold of it. But that doesn't mean it's any less of a good game than if it had been relegated to obscurity. Saying that you're not particularly interested in it based on what you've heard and said is one thing; openly bashing something you've never actually played is another. In the case of both it and Ikaruga you might make your opinion clearer if you say you "hate" the disproportionate hype that surrounds these games, rather than the games themselves...at least that's what I gather you mean.
_________________
"Fight me IRL if you want to man up so badly."
Glossary / Discussion / The Bizaar / Vasara HS


Top
 Online Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: prophetic and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group