An idea for great background imagery

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
emphatic

An idea for great background imagery

Post by emphatic »

I just found out about the tilt/shift effect that when applied to photography or film makes everything look like miniature/2D.

Would be cool if someone used this for background pics in a shooter me thinks.

http://www.tiltshiftphotography.net/pho ... torial.php

Instead of drawing backgrounds expertly (it is better of course but time consuming) you could get a camera, mount it on a wagon and drag it around out doors. Then edit the video with the tilt/shift and presto, instant high res background images. Do it in a wooded area for Mushihimesama style backgrounds!

Yes, I am serious.
Emph
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
mister. jones

Post by mister. jones »

Awesome find, emph.

That's too cool. It creeps me out a little bit how much they really appear to be miniatures.

I'd definitely like to see this used in a game. Black & White tilt/shift background with vibrant colored sprites would be pretty damn sweet too.

--mister. jones
Only with teeth of cheese can one truly enjoy a cracker.
SandtouchLC

Post by SandtouchLC »

We're already using photographic backgrounds for our current project, so this seems to be a no-brainer.... but when actually putting it into practice in a shmup, you have to worry about motion, too.

Yes, that is what the wagon is for... but if you want to have a decent framerate, you must blit (draw) the backdrop continuously as the ship moves. With native access to the hardware this is definitely possible, but in Java, it isn't, at least not without using JavaOpenGL or some kind of JNI hack.

You could just draw a large backdrop based on one photo and move it, or stitch together a panorama (the latter is what Chacker does), but then there is no feeling of depth. In the example, imagine the Pepsi billboard as a cube that would turn slightly as the camera focused on one of the moving "miniatures." That is not possible without blitting a new photograph, and this would have to be done constantly.

That's not to say this is impossible--just very resource-intensive at runtime. :cry: