A few J-Pac problems - help please? :>

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Jockel

A few J-Pac problems - help please? :>

Post by Jockel »

Hey guys.
Just received my new J-Pac (PS/2 version) yesterday and tried to get it to run.
So far to no avail.
First problem: I can't get MAME to output 320x240; only 640x480.
I am using kxMAME on Ubuntu 8.10. Any suggestions how to set it up?
Next problem: The buttonpresses and stick-movements don't seem to reach the PC.
> The selftest-LED is in a steady red light. But i dunno if that means that everything is ok (cause it's not flickering or off) or everything is fucked up :lol:
Do i have to plug a keyboard into the J-Pac and that's causing the fuckup?

BTW i tried the AdvanceMAME CD to fix the first problem, but it stopped the boot process when starting the linux kernel.
BTW² i still want to use my pc as usual.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

I know you won't like it to come to this, but if you'd partition your PC and put a TinyXP or something like that on there, you'd be good to go with MAME working (Running Soft15kHz) + all the free Doujin Shmups, Raiden III etc that runs on the Win platform.

Sorry I can't help you with Linux stuff. But there should be some way. Try e-mailing Andy @ Ultimarc and ask him about Linux and drivers.

Emph
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
KBZ

Re: A few J-Pac problems - help please? :>

Post by KBZ »

Jockel wrote:Hey guys.
Just received my new J-Pac (PS/2 version) yesterday and tried to get it to run.
So far to no avail.
First problem: I can't get MAME to output 320x240; only 640x480.
I am using kxMAME on Ubuntu 8.10. Any suggestions how to set it up?
Next problem: The buttonpresses and stick-movements don't seem to reach the PC.
> The selftest-LED is in a steady red light. But i dunno if that means that everything is ok (cause it's not flickering or off) or everything is fucked up :lol:
Do i have to plug a keyboard into the J-Pac and that's causing the fuckup?

BTW i tried the AdvanceMAME CD to fix the first problem, but it stopped the boot process when starting the linux kernel.
BTW² i still want to use my pc as usual.
Sometimes you need to add some modelines to support low res like that. Simple fix is to add them to etc/X11/Xorg.conf

you'll find something like this..

Code: Select all

Section "Screen"
  DefaultDepth 24
  SubSection "Display"
    Depth      15
    Modes      "1440x900" "1366x768" "1280x800" "1152x864" "1280x768" "1280x720" "1024x768" "1280x600" "1024x600" "800x600" "768x576" "640x480" 
I just add "320x340" and a bunch of other resolutions I want. Save it, restart X (I think, if not then just reboot) and you're good to go!

In my Xorg.conf I have a few "screen" lines that differ in the depth value. I just added the different resolutions to all these lines and it seemed to work.

I would also recommend installing sdlmame. it should be in your repositories, and has it's own little front end for selecting roms.

As for the joystick problems... if you compiled xmame, maybe you forgot to compile with joystick support? I also remember having to declare where my joystick was when using xmame, that could also be the reason. Try xmame -showusage. If it's any of those problems, then you might as well just use sdlmame.

hope this helps.
=/
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

Kingbuzzo wrote: Sometimes you need to add some modelines to support low res like that. Simple fix is to add them to etc/X11/Xorg.conf

you'll find something like this..

Section "Screen"
  DefaultDepth 24
  SubSection "Display"
    Depth      15
    Modes      "1440x900" "1366x768" "1280x800" "1152x864" "1280x768" "1280x720" "1024x768" "1280x600" "1024x600" "800x600" "768x576" "640x480" 
I just add "320x340" and a bunch of other resolutions I want. Save it, restart X (I think, if not then just reboot) and you're good to go!

In my Xorg.conf I have a few "screen" lines that differ in the depth value. I just added the different resolutions to all these lines and it seemed to work.

I would also recommend installing sdlmame. it should be in your repositories, and has it's own little front end for selecting roms.

As for the joystick problems... if you compiled xmame, maybe you forgot to compile with joystick support? I also remember having to declare where my joystick was when using xmame, that could also be the reason. Try xmame -showusage. If it's any of those problems, then you might as well just use sdlmame.

hope this helps.
A little. I'm a bit of a noob, so i installed kxmame from the package-manager and didn't compile it myself. But i did this quite some time ago (re-installed ubuntu since then) and it worked with my usb-pad.
However, the J-Pac should be recognized as a keyboard, so it would have to work anyway. I tried it on Windows, too and it didn't work. So either my PCB is busted, or i am too stupid to plug in a simple PS/2 cable :P

About your tip with the xorg.conf > i edited it accordingly, but it wouldn't let me save it oO
Can i only edit this file during recovery mode?

@emph: thanks for the tip. does it enable 320x240, too?
ryz

Post by ryz »

Jockel wrote: About your tip with the xorg.conf > i edited it accordingly, but it wouldn't let me save it oO
Can i only edit this file during recovery mode?

@emph: thanks for the tip. does it enable 320x240, too?
you have to edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file with root privileges. However, on ubuntu the root account is disabled and changes can only be made through "sudo", therefore edit the file with:

sudo vim /etc/X11/xorg.conf
replace vim with the editor of your choice. you will be prompted for your root password.

HTH.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Yes, Soft15kHz has support for 320x240. I'm not completely sure all newer PC games can be run in true 240p though. I think that Raiden III runs in 480i. Still looks VERY good compared to PS2 version (backgrounds are much more detailed).

Great to see that you'd got some Linux help as well.

Emph
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

thing is, installing windows xp destroyed my grub-loader, so ubuntu didnt work anymore. next great thing: windows xp doesnt like my USB keyboard during install- so i couldn't even install it (and still it killed my grubloader- boy, i hate windows) :-/
my mood is pretty "meh" at the moment.
have to use my g/fs laptop to write this.
hm so will it be enough if i enable 320x240 on ubuntu (once i manage to install it again)? or will the picture still be weird because of the missing 15khz mode?
ryz

Post by ryz »

Yeah, windows is pretty selfish in those things.

Basically, you just have to overwrite your MBR with the GRUB-Loader. Other operating system like Windows are later added to GRUB's menu.lst.

Simple:

1. Boot up the Ubuntu Live CD.
2. Open a terminal
3. Type

sudo grub-install /dev/sdx
(replace 'sdx' with the corresponding harddrive, usually 'sda' (use 'sudo fdisk -l' first if unclear!))
4. Reboot

Detailed:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Recov ... ingWindows

One advice: ALWAYS install windows-based operating systems BEFORE *nix-based operating systems.
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

damn! too late, i already installed a fresh ubuntu.
but thanks for the tip, it's really handy (if applied in time -.-)
cools

Post by cools »

Recommend SDLMAME.

Packages for Ubuntu are here: http://wallyweek.altervista.org/

I've not tried SDLMAME under X in 15.75KHz - but you'll need to get the correct modelines into /etc/X11/xorg.conf to stand any chance. Shoving 320x240 into the mode list isn't enough, and will just give you a 31.5KHz mode.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

might sound dumb but make sure you are plugging the ps\2 cable into the right port......or if you are using the USB get yourself a male/male ps\2 cable and try it that way

also make sure the control settings in mame and the JPAC are set to the same setup

aside from that i am no help cuz i dont know linux
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

cools wrote:Recommend SDLMAME.

I've not tried SDLMAME under X in 15.75KHz - but you'll need to get the correct modelines into /etc/X11/xorg.conf to stand any chance. Shoving 320x240 into the mode list isn't enough, and will just give you a 31.5KHz mode.
Its ok if just MAME spews out 320x240. I want the OS in the regular resolution.
I don't mind changing plugs when the emulation starts.
@jonny: ^^" yeah i like to make stupid mistakes likes that but not this time.
ryz

Post by ryz »

cools wrote:Recommend SDLMAME.

signed. sdlmame is THE mame solution under unix/linux. use it!
Last edited by ryz on Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

ryz wrote:signed. sdlmame is THE mame solution und unix/linux. use it!
Is there autofire in SDLMame?..because I can't find it.
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

for idiots, how can i enable 320x240 in the sdlmame.ini?
btw i wasn't able to add 320x240 into my xorg.conf. after i inserted kingbuzzos lines
(i edited them accordingly, of course) where it seemed apropriate
and i rebooted, i was greeted by a friendly screen which said i fucked up big time ;)
do i need this at all if i don't want to have my desktop environment in this resolution?
just want the mame to switch full screen on 320x240 @ 15khz once emulation starts.
i can't believe that this is so ridiculously hard to achieve.
god i feel dumb. but then again i am totally new to 'nix systems.
ryz, can you support me via ICQ, PN or Phone or something? i guess that would help a lot.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

why not just install xp and use mameui32......very easy to configure and ready to go for 15khz with a couple minor settings changed
nimitz

Post by nimitz »

also, another little thing, if you have a dual/quad core CPU, do not use the pre-compiled sdlmame builds for ubuntu, the are SLOW.

I noticed almost a 100% perfomance increase by compiling it myself

sounds like you need step-by-step help i suggest you come to shmup IRC where you will find many knowledgable members ready to help you for linux stuff.
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

jonny5 wrote:why not just install xp and use mameui32......very easy to configure and ready to go for 15khz with a couple minor settings changed
Yeah after all this trouble i guess i'll resort to xp.
However when i tried to install it again the CD was faulty, so i have to get an image off the net.
@nimitz: i guess i'll drop by when i have the time, which server?
KBZ

Post by KBZ »

post your xorg.conf
=/
ryz

Post by ryz »

Jockel wrote:ryz, can you support me via ICQ, PN or Phone or something? i guess that would help a lot.
darn, i just only read it.

Phone is quite inappropriate, because I'm at work. :/
I don't have an ICQ-account, but I'm using Jabber of course! PM me if you need help.
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

Kingbuzzo wrote:post your xorg.conf
it's changed back to default because i fucked everything up.

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Default Screen"
	Monitor		"Configured Monitor"
	Device		"Configured Video Device"
	DefaultDepth	24
EndSection

Section "Module"
	Load	"glx"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
	Driver	"fglrx"
EndSection
thats the entire content of the file, excluding the comments.

@ryz: you've offically been PMed ;)
Jockel

OMFGWTFBBQ

Post by Jockel »

update:
i installed xp (ugh) and soft 15khz. now i tried using mameui32, but i dont get what settings i need to use. the picture on the jpac is flickering like crazy.
is this a fault of the hz or the khz? i'm pretty sure the resolution finally is 320x240, because there are not two pictures anymore, just one. but thats a little bit small and flickers, as stated.
on a weird sidenote, if i pre-rotate the picture in the default game options, it always puts out 640x480. if i don't, it seems to be 320x240, but then i have to rotate it in game each time manually. so much inconvinience :<
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

this is getting so weird.
i managed to install everything how it should be.
screen was good, controls worked.
but then i rebooted and win xp doesn't like the keyboard anymore.
it seems completely random to me when the controls work and when not.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

so you figured out which settings to adjust in mameui32 to get it right for soft15khz?

just switch to direct draw....turn off stretching...and enable switch res to fit....now when you load games it will switch to the native res of that game

and you will need to rotate the screen for vert games

and ive found that if the controls arent registering just restart the PC and all should be fine...ive had that happen a few times.....never bothered to ask andy waht might be the cause....

not a big deal really
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

jonny5 wrote:and you will need to rotate the screen for vert games
no need, my setup is tate ;)
and i managed to put windows xp into tate, so it's really nice.
BUT this random effect is pissing me off big time.
because it's like 5 to 1 not working.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

maybe a bad cable..are you using the USB connection or the PS\2?

try using which ever one you arent using right now....and see if it persists....

very odd tho...ive had that happen to me, but only a couple times ever....yours seems to be a little more extreme....

i would email andy about it if you cant sort it with a different connector...also maybe try a different USB\ps2 cable and see if you just got a bum cable
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

i have the ps/2 one.
it does have an USB connector, but i thought it was only for reprogramming.
and unfortunately i don't have another cable, just those that came with it.
(man i thought it would be smart to buy the ps/2 one because of the console adapters, and now it's just barely working :/ )
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

email andy but im pretty sure that is the USB jack on it you need....should be a USB-b jack....i beleieve the only difference in the cost when ordering is for the USB cable vs the ps\2 cable

give it a try...or go and grab a double ended ps\2 cable tomorrow from any electronics store...the ones andy sends are kinda cheap...ive had to ask for replacements before....

they will be like $5 so its worth it just to confirm its not the cable...and if it does work fine with the new cable your all set and ready to go

also...does it give you a BIOS error message on startup saying there isnt a keyboard attached when you have no controls?

if it doesnt, go into the BIOS settings and see if there is a setting for turning that feature on and off.....the idea being we can see if it is actually showing up for the PC or if its just not communicating properly once windows loads.....cuz if its just once windows loads it would point towards software fault in the JPAC

post results...i wanna get this sorted for you....i know how much it sux to not be able to enjoy your stuff and keep banging your head against the wall trouble shooting...it should be fixable tho.....

***fingers crossed for ya buddy***
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Or...

If you open up notepad, does that register your inputs even though MAME doesn't? Better to see if MAME is the culprit before blaming the hardware. Could be that MAME doesn't read your .ini file for some reason. Strange though if it just does this on random.

Emph
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

i think i finally found the pattern.
it seems to only work when i plug in a regular ps/2 keyboard, boot, and then swap it for the jpac. it sucks, but hey at least it works :D
thanks guys, your support was great.