Hikouki II- Flash Shooter

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
ViolentAJ

Hikouki II- Flash Shooter

Post by ViolentAJ »

Can you guys tell me what you think? I'm learning programming and game design, and would like to showcase my games. I'm thinking of making a Hikouki III, but I'd like to get into making a fighting game at this time (which'll take a looong time + I'll need artists). Anyway, here's Hikouki II:

http://www.kongregate.com/games/ViolentAJ/hikouki-ii
Zebra Airforce

Post by Zebra Airforce »

A - It's too easy.

B - Your ship shoots too slowly and the bullets are pretty weak.

C - Long stretches w/ no enemies.

D - Most enemies fall slowly from the bottom of the screen. They should have more complicated and interesting movement patterns. And it was hardly worth shooting most of them anyway because the would shoot unaimed lasers straight down the screen.

E - Lasers are hard to see, as well as the bombs that fire bullets when destroyed

F - Subweapon seemed useless
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Couldn't get it to load, I got "504 Gateway Timeout".

Also it looks like you have lots of fans in your comments.

Edit: Got it to work, mirroring everything Zebra said.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Everything Zebra said, and also, when you have a fast firing rate, the game slows down from the large number of objects [please add a quality change button].

The game needs more interesting firing patterns, it needs to have slower enemy shots, and either A: a life based system, like most games, or B: have shots take off more health when you get hit.

The game has quite a bit of potential, but it's depressingly boring currently. I couldn't bother to go through the second stage. The best part of the game so far has to be the first boss, and it's too easy.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
ViolentAJ

Post by ViolentAJ »

I'll keep these suggestions in mind next time. I prefer the health-based system. I'll lower the health of each player next time, I suppose. However, each character has their own level of health.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Might want to check out some modern shmups and see how things have changed and evolved since Raiden ..