What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BIL

Re: What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Post by BIL »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:I was playing Quake recently, and discovered there's a bug with Fiend leap attacks where if they land on you in midair, instead of hitting once for damage as intended they hit several dozen times in the space of a few frames. This will instant kill you even at 200 red armor and 100 health if it triggers. Apparently maps with Rottweilers can trigger this too if they're positioned high enough to do their jump attack on top of you.
Bwaaa, knew exactly what you were gonna say - so many memories getting caught by that awful thing. :mrgreen: That distinctive pink HUD flash and the POV hitting the floor. Had no idea doggos also had gigaton crush powers though.

I have this lingering childhood trauma where I like playing id games on console ( :lol: ), so I nabbed PS4 Quake a few months back. It was excellent value (the OG game and both expansions, plus a couple of totally new and apparently well-respected ones). However it was gamepad-only, which was a goddamn shame with the PS4 being perfectly KBM-ready. Still couldn't resist the mid-90s ghetto fabulous gamepad FPSing. :cool:

Happily, it's since been extensively patched to include full KBM custom controls, with mouselook. So in a bizarre turn of events I can play arcade-quality Gradius, PS2-quality DMC and PC-quality Quake on the same machine. I dig the absurdity. :O
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

It was in Dismal Oubliette that I ran into that issue, there's a tight hallway after a dip in water where a fiend attacks at close range. If you back down the ramp into the water it's the perfect height for him to instakill you. It's actually safer eating the leap damage or jumping so you're in midair when the leap hits since there's no room to strafe (if you know the fiend's there preemptive grenades work too.

Speaking of that level, apparently a remaster adds a portion of the level back that had to be cut for space reasons from the initial release: https://techraptor.net/gaming/news/quak ... ut-content

Their console releases are pretty decent. I remember Doom 64 being a great release with entirely new levels. Quake I for N64 was a bit unfortunate, there wasn't much reason to play it over the PC version as there wasn't much new there, and the levels had bits trimmed out of them or levels missing entirely. Quake II's PSX release has several new enemies, and Quake II N64 has new maps that now use blue as a predominant theme for the Strogg. Unfortunately the N64 releases have no coop, and Quake II N64 is missing the final boss! Its "final boss" actually consists of a few minibosses one after the other (a Super Tank or Tank Commander and a Hornet, can't remember which). The actual final boss, the Makron, is entirely absent. :/

Quake IV's XB360 release is noteworthy for having a release of Quake II with 4 player splitscreen, and I'm tempted to pick it up just for that (Quake IV doesn't support coop though, ah well).
drauch

Post by drauch »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote: I remember Doom 64 being a great release with entirely new levels.
It's a completely separate game and intended as a sequel. And it's great 8) . Nightdive released an enhanced PC port a year or so back. There's also been a PC fan port for quite a long time as well. I like it quite a bit; it's got a really moody soundtrack and atmosphere.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
BIL

Post by BIL »

DOOM 64 is a creepy joint, loved my time with it. Good combination of no-nonsense blasting and unnerving ambience.

N64 Quake II was a cool little cart indeed - by that point, I could actually run the PC versions of id games decently, so it was more of a mission pack deal to me. Some pretty decent stage designs in there, IIRC (been decades, but I remember playing it to completion, then immediately revisiting the much more expansive PC one and feeling like they'd done well in the N64's smaller, DOOMier format).

Yeah, the midboss copy/paste definitely dinted a bit, haha. A recurring theme with 90s console ports of id stuff (the ol' Cyberdemon/Spiderdemon/Archvile fiasco that haunted the 32X, Jaguar and even friggin PS1 versions of DOOM springs to mind).
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

N64 Quake II was a cool little cart indeed - by that point, I could actually run the PC versions of id games decently, so it was more of a mission pack deal to me.
Same. My computer was a Pentium and couldn't run it at the time I first grabbed the game, so I had to play Quake II on my dad's newer Windows XP machine. It struggled, but it got the job done decently, but I was very hyped to play Quake II on my own Nintendo 64!

Was a bit disappointed they'd cut content to fit it in, especially given the final boss is kind of important. Oh well.

I actually picked up the N64 port of Quake after the second game, and after I'd already had the PC version for a while. I was disappointed it didn't have new levels like they'd done with the sequel; there wasn't much incentive for me to play it.

Not id Software, but Descent also had some very competent PS1 ports. Descent II in particular actually had a brand new set of levels (due to Sony discouraging straight PC ports of games apparently) and those were ripped and made available to play on PC. It's pretty fun; they're not quite as large and sprawling as the PC version's original levels, but they feel fun in their own way, feeling like quicker to play bite sized chunks of the original levels. The later levels are a decent, but not massive size.

I kinda wanna revisit Q2 N64 now; is emulation good nowadays? My N64 is currently dead until I replace the thing... I remember N64 emulation being decent, though still buggy with many games (Quest 64 has this bizarre gaudy pink color appearing in all the interface windows).
drauch

Post by drauch »

Ha, and here as well. We got it right after it came out, and of course our barebones Win98 machine had a hell of a time with it. For years I thought the intro's stuttering logo was intentional.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Attempting to continue my "huh, I actually have quite a few well-regarded games in my backlog, maybe I ought to - and this might sound crazy - play some of them" streak.

Finished Supraland a few days ago, and had a good time; if nothing else it managed to work itself into a few personal exclusive clubs, most notably "first-person games I actually dig" and "games where I actually looked up hints to keep going when I got stuck instead of just quitting". More than anything else it very ably scratches that childhood itch to crawl into every nook and cranny because you never know what might be in there, which I never did entirely outgrow; I also appreciate how unapologetically "videogame-y" it is, all but completely eschewing a narrative to drive you forward and instead simply relying on the player to want to progress for its own sake.

After that, decided Hollow Knight would be next; instead of listing what I've found most noteworthy over the first few hours, I'll recount that I unexpectedly encountered and juuust managed to beat the Mantis Lords on my first try, only to have a regular enemy pop out directly under me and sit on top of me as my health drained to nothing before I even knew what was happening in the very next area. Kind of sums up the journey so far. :P
Eyvah_Ehyeh

Post by Eyvah_Ehyeh »

I'm an hour into Unsighted, a game similar to Hyperlight Drifter with just a bit of more story, different weapons, upgrades, etc. So far I'm enjoying it a lot and I'm curious to see what it has to offer.
Mr_Horizon

Post by Mr_Horizon »

After just finishing the Switch port of "Spinnys Journey" (a simple Kururin clone), I am now playing "the forgotten city". It's a streaming game, so it has nice environments but ridiculous input lag. Luckily it's a walking sim type of game with great voice acting, so still very enjoyable.
My only REAL downside is the faces. God awful lipsync and barely any emotion.
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Giving OctoPath Traveler a second chance. I bought it a year ago couldn't get into it and traded it in. Bought it again recently and I'm actually enjoying it this time. I know, it doesn't make much sense. Not much of an RPG guy nowadays, just wanted to change it up a bit. Love the old school art. Reminds me of an Snes RPG.
Last edited by Gamer707b on Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

drauch wrote:
BareKnuckleRoo wrote: I remember Doom 64 being a great release with entirely new levels.
It's a completely separate game and intended as a sequel. And it's great 8) . Nightdive released an enhanced PC port a year or so back. There's also been a PC fan port for quite a long time as well. I like it quite a bit; it's got a really moody soundtrack and atmosphere.
I'm still mad that I didn't know that it wasn't just a port of the PC game back in the day. I saw a few listings of it in like magazine game sale ads, but naturally, all I had was the name to go off of from those.
By the time I would have looked things up like that on the internet [because pre-Google search engines were, in a single word, terrible, and that's about when I found out Google existed], it would have been 2002 and I wouldn't be thinking about buying N64 games anymore. :lol:
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Mykaizer

Post by Mykaizer »

Quake on steam. A nice remaster they put out. Using ReShade to spice things up a bit.

null1024

Post by null1024 »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote: I kinda wanna revisit Q2 N64 now; is emulation good nowadays? My N64 is currently dead until I replace the thing... I remember N64 emulation being decent, though still buggy with many games (Quest 64 has this bizarre gaudy pink color appearing in all the interface windows).
Try m64p. As far as I know, it's currently the best option for N64. Very accurate visuals. Needs a fairly decent computer as a result.

If the latest version doesn't run well on your machine, this one is the final release with the older graphics emulation that is much less taxing [but also naturally a lot less accurate, even if it delivers pretty good results].
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

I've been really enjoying my Mega Drive lately. After finally getting an RGB cable for it I've been able use it with my OSSC & monitor instead of my TV and its terrible composite upscaling. It's really a revelation.

One is just the immediacy of the thing. Sitting the console next to me, ka-chunking those cartridges in & out, the headphone jack (which I need to figure out how to shield, it's noisy AF), it all just feels very frictionless compared to physical gaming with, say, a PS4 or even my Saturn. And those cases are as good as game boxes ever got. Like, I find myself wanting to collect for it over the Super Famicom purely because those cardboard boxes seem like a bad idea long term as storage. And I fear for the wear & tear on my CD-based games. (It's just too bad that at 25-odd games, I already have much of the stuff I'd really want that isn't in the $500+ range these days.)

The other thing is, I grew up a Nintendo kid, and while Geneses were around, most of my experience with it has been through later Sega compilations. Having the real thing in front of me thumping & buzz-sawing away makes me realize that like, no emulation ever got the sound quite right. Part of that comes down to the individual system having an aged DAC that will have its own particular character (don't think it's ever seen any maintenance). But the Mega Drive has a very prominent presence that other retro stuff I have doesn't quite seem to. And of course, ditching the lag makes a huge difference in how some of these games feel.

Then, the controller. The original is meh, but the 6-button? Hot damn this thing is epic. Like, I can't believe how massively under-appreciated it was in its time, it blew away anything and everything that had ever existed up to that point (I have the JP variant, I don't know if the Western version was significantly different to use). It's on par with the Saturn or better; in hindsight the MD should have become the default home for 16-bit fighting games instead of the slower SFC with its four face buttons ("Sorry guys, gotta pause. I need different buttons for Vega"). For shmups I don't even feel like I need an arcade stick.
Gamer707b wrote:Giving OctoPath Traveler a second chance. I bought it a year ago couldn't get into it and traded it in. Bought it again recently and I'm actually enjoying it this time. I know, it doesn't make much sense. Not much of an RPG guy nowadays, just wanted to change it up a bit. Love the old school art. Reminds me of an Snes RPG.
SNES Square - particularly Final Fantasy & Romancing SaGa - is exactly what they're trying to evoke there, both visually and mechanically. I can get why it might not work for someone the first time around, until they were really in the mood to sink themselves into something on that wavelength. But they really nailed the balance between old school feel and compelling play mechanics that don't feel simple or stale imo.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I've been gifted a Nintendo Switch. I can unequivocally say it is the worst console I've ever experienced in terms of hardware and controls and makes me yearn for the N64 & Gamecube days before Nintendo got super gimmicky with everything. The console itself doesn't even seat tightly into the dock and rocks around a bit which makes me worry about the connection (but I realize it for the portability). You can play it portable... but the analog sticks on the Joycons have such short throw that I can't stomach the thought of using them for anything serious.

The Pro Controller's not too bad, but its USB-C connector always feels sketchy compared to one that stays snapped in place or is hardwired. You can set whether or not using a USB cable transmits the controls via wireless or actually uses the wire... not sure if the "send inputs via cable" option reduces input lag, but someone promptly tripped over the cable and pulled the console off the shelf. Fortunately no breakage, but the Switch doesn't have the weight to avoid this sort of thing if playing wired (might need to glue it down?). The fact that the Switch dock only has two USB ports makes it clear they want to discourage the use of wires for multiplayer sessions. However, I absolutely loathe batteries; nothing spoils things more than having to stop playing because a controller needs charging, and generally much prefer wired controllers with solid connectors that you don't have to worry about popping out (again, I miss the N64 and GameCube for these...).

I had to look up a video to figure out how to open the damn game cart slot. :/

Have a few games so far, Pikuniku's a cute adventure game with simple platforming elements.

A friend also loaned The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. You can tell they wanted to throw in a whole bunch of different elements popularized by other open world games; you've got Shadow of the Colossus climbing on nearly every surface, a stamina meter (that starts rather low I think), Bayonetta-esque last minute dodges, a robust cooking system... but everything feels slightly as if they've eschewed quality of life elements. There's no explicit tutorial I've found yet for Flurry Rush or for charge attacks, and charge attacks appear to be fairly iffy given you can't dodge and unleash the charge after dodging. Some higher tier enemies can super armor hits, and you can't dodge cancel out of these high commitment animations. It's no DMC/Bayo combat system for sure.

There's a lot of skills you actually start the game with. Shield parrying for instance, but it and others are not explained in the interface and you have to find the relevant NPCs who tell you about these before the in-game interface will actually give you the info. I get that it's going for the whole "YOU HAVE AMNESIA" thing and thus this is to encourage experimentation, but I really appreciate games that have a robust in-game move list you can poke around with early on, especially if you actually start with the ability to use them all.

The dungeons are a bit underwhelming so far; they're literally a couple of rooms that teach you to use a gimmick to solve physics based puzzles with maybe one cursory enemy. It's quite different from other LoZ games where stumbling on a dungeon lands you in a very large and threatening maze you're eager to explore. The feeling's quite different, and the focus is definitely on the open world.

Weapon breakage is tedious. It's amusing grabbing a bunch of weapons from enemies after disarming them so they're left to use their fists... but being left without a weapon in a fight suddenly is a bit annoying. Granted, you should be carrying a dozen melee weapons at a time, but metal weapons like swords seem rather prone to breaking quickly. There's also no way of telling actual durability except by getting a feel for how soon a given weapon breaks, or hoping the description's accurate. I get that they want to encourage a "use what you find in the field!" sort of play, but having my bows and sword explode spontaneously constantly only for me to pop out another one leaves me wondering why I can't just, you know, have it not explode (or last much longer). The critical hit when a weapon break occurs is nice, but not enough to make me fully onboard with this system yet.

Thunderstorms are silly; is it normal to get absolutely murdered the first time you encounter one? The fact you can run into one and get killed without any way to really prepare for it (yeah, yeah, amnesia) because you don't the trick is a minor nuisance. I heard the sparks and knew something was coming, but mistakenly assumed I'd run into another artificial "you're not allowed to be here yet" barrier. The fact that they can still hit you at random even when
Spoiler
not wearing something that turns you into a lightning rod
is annoying, especially given it's a one shot kill from the start of the game.

The paraglider feels like it's given out very early on, you rarely need to do any downward climbing afterwards, and it allows you to sail into danger if you veer out of the path you're directed to go once you get it.

I'm not entirely sold on BotW yet. I can tell it's got some good elements going for it, but I'm not sure it's gripped me.
Ebbo

Post by Ebbo »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote: Thunderstorms are silly; is it normal to get absolutely murdered the first time you encounter one? The fact you can run into one and get killed without any way to really prepare for it (yeah, yeah, amnesia) because you don't the trick is a minor nuisance. I heard the sparks and knew something was coming, but mistakenly assumed I'd run into another artificial "you're not allowed to be here yet" barrier. The fact that they can still hit you at random even when
Spoiler
not wearing something that turns you into a lightning rod
is annoying, especially given it's a one shot kill from the start of the game.
As far as I know, lightning can't strike you randomly. Either that or I got incredibly lucky during my +300 hour playthrough.
Spoiler
However, there's still a chance the lightning will strike at your last position even after unequipping all metal equipment or there might've been metal weapon/object near you on the ground.
There's a lot of small interactions like this one to find out and experiment with, cherish them.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Re: the Switch pro controller, I think its better off in wireless mode as far as input lag goes. No reason to use it wired unless you're low on battery. And then you're still better off using BT than sending the signal through the USB cable. There are low latency wired USB options such as Hori controllers. Its more a quirk of the pro controller that it's better optimized for BT instead of wired USB. I tend to just plug the controller into a phone charger near the couch rather than use the USB port of the dock.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Lightning can hit you randomly, but
Spoiler
The truly random strikes apparently deal minimal damage. It looks like they can bounce you and send you flying though, which can cause death via indirect damage (falling damage): https://www.reddit.com/r/Breath_of_the_ ... letely_by/

If the truly random strikes did full damage I'd be rather peeved; Hyrule already has wildly nasty thunderstorms as it is, but I suppose forcing resistant equipment isn't much different than the forced resistance it does with extreme temperature areas either. It's a resource management game.

Strikes can target the ground indicated by small sparks before hitting, these are damaging and you're meant to see and avoid them.

Metal targetting strikes are the ones that target you (namely when you become a lightning rod the moment you hold something slightly metallic) or other enemies and objects in the environment. These are the ones that are an instant fuck you if you don't figure out what's up the first time you're in a storm but can be used against enemies by luring them near metal objects.
Rastan78 wrote:I tend to just plug the controller into a phone charger near the couch rather than use the USB port of the dock.
Thanks, yeah, I'm just gonna have to accept it as a system quirk I guess. That seems a better solution.
Ebbo

Post by Ebbo »

Well, add that to the pile of "things I didn't know could happen in BotW" :P I'm kinda starting to feel the itch to play it again, but I really don't want burn myself out before the sequel hits, whenever that might be.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Oh you do get a tutorial for the flurry rush and charge attack. I could be wrong, but off the top of my head I think it's when you first do one of the dungeons that's like a mini boss battle against a small guardian robot.
Eyvah_Ehyeh

Post by Eyvah_Ehyeh »

Finished Unsighted. Started to get frustrated with it toward the end. The enemy respawning could have been cut in half, for sure, to keep things flowing a bit better, I felt. Now I'm on to another metroidvania - Astalon: Tears of the Earth. It's a bit too old school for me, but just a bit, because I'm still playing it, and still enjoying myself. Like it still controls better than most NES games, but feels a bit more clunky (at least for now) than say Shovel Knight and definitely less responsive and than Unsighted where I could fly around like crazy. But I mean I could at least get a dash thing like in symphony of the night? Still, I enjoy the simplicity of it, and even if I die just as often here as in Unsighted, the simplicity of it calms me, and I embrace it. Discovered it with a youtube channel that I had not heard of before - Cannot be tamed, where it was the hostesses game of the year 2021. We seem to share tastes quite a lot, so cool to have a new person that can recommend me games.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

I spent some time on Sunday to play Myst. I've tried it a few times before and the slideshow was too slow for me even in the 90s, but the whole series was in a Humble Bundle and realMyst seemed to cover many of my complaints about the original release. For the first few hours, I got it. I totally see why Myst was a hit and dug exploring the island, and actually found reading the unburned journals to be an extremely effective way to pull me in to the world. I've got a few notebook pages full of notes, illustrations, etc.

Then I started visiting the Ages, and almost immediately lost interest. They're small, linear and sparse, so the puzzles weren't generally very engaging so it became primarily an exercise of just clicking through tasks. Only half the Ages are visually interesting, which made the two that aren't a real slog.

After getting stuck on figuring out how to reach the control panel in the mechanical Age I lost most of my interest in working things out for myself so would refer to a guide at the least resistance. I knew that if I didn't finish, I wouldn't care enough to come back the next day. Only needed this one other time, but it struck me how fast I went from all in to "is it over yet?" I didn't do the added chapter and I'm debating whether to bother.

All that said, I'm still considering popping Riven in. If it can provide the same sort of high I got at the start, even for a little while, it could be worth it. I'm assuming it's longer than the original, though.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:The console itself doesn't even seat tightly into the dock and rocks around a bit which makes me worry about the connection (but I realize it for the portability).
I've heard stories of people scratching their screens, so the first thing I did when I got my switch was putting in two felt pads (the kind you put under furniture etc.) inside of it, on the side facing the screen. Just to make sure I never had to worry about it.
As a result the Switch also fits completely snugly in there. I'd kinda forgotten that I did that, so a couple of months ago when I was using someone else's dock at a meetup I was momentarily surprised how different it feels without the pads. When I'm used to them, it definitely feels all wrong - like it's not tight enough like you're saying. So if that's an issue to you, I definitely recommend padding the dock - it takes a few seconds and works nicely.

The Switch feels amazing in so many ways, and I love playing it both docked and in handheld. I'm surprised you don't like it at all. If I see a multiplatform available on both PS4 and Switch, I'll get the Switch version without hesitation.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

As for Breath of the Wild, the game teaches you plenty of things, but there are also abilities you have that aren't explained that you have to discover for yourself.
I think that's a wonderful piece of game design that works extremely well in a game like this based on experimentation and discovery. And the fact that you can actually do a lot of these things from the get go, long before you encounter whatever in-game occurance is designed to teach it to you, I think is quite brilliant - it's a game that leaves the power and trust in the hands of the player, which is a massive change-up from the previous Zelda game which force-fed you every single bit of information before ever allowing you to do anything on your own.
Of all the things you can hate on BOTW for, I find that one quite odd. :)
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

My complaint isn't about player experimentation and discovery per se, it's more that the controls themselves aren't there for the player to find for more explanation even if they stumble on the technique themselves. God Hand has no tutorial but has its universal moves explained in the manual, and though it lacks any tutorials aside from a couple signposts with brief advice, it does offer a training dummy after the first level. Bayonetta has a full combo list and tech list in its in-game files from the get-go for you to discover after a few basic tutorials to start you off.

BotW starts you off with a fairly hefty moveset but doesn't give you anywhere you can readily look up some advanced controls until you "unlock" the explanations by finding the appropriate NPC. It's not too tough to discover charge attacks or the jump attack, but the game won't list them in your in-game controls for you to look up if you need a reminder until you encounter the appropriate NPCs, thereby gatekeeping the knowledge on a first playthrough in a way I'm not terribly fond of. It's nicer when the information is available if the player's willing to look in the ingame files (and given link gets a futuristic iPad it's not too much to ask that it also remind him when he wakes up that he knows how to do certain things if he bothers to take the time to read the thing).
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

I love BotW. When people talk about generations they are usually refering to consoles and visuals, but I think game design can fall into that catagory too. There's pre and post Mario 64, OoT, Halo 1, RE4 etc where game design took a massive step forward. BotW is the first open world game that sets out to ask from why its an open world game from a game design standpoint. I'd consider it one gameplay generation ahead of standard open world games. I'm playing The Witcher 3 right now, and the characters, story, and setting are carrying it, but as far as being an open world game it feels a generation behind.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I'm not sure comparing BOTW to Bayonetta is a reasonable thing to do for either game. :)
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Haha what's the system11 scoop on BotW?

The internet raved about it and every casual fuck says it's great..
but i remember dogshit like skyward schlong getting 10/10 reviews so i'm wary of all this.

what do "real" gamers think? :lol:
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

BOTW is a great game even if it's not "the best ever". Lots of things aren't done great, others are at least acceptable. Combat goes stale fairly fast, and the game could have used some "proper" dungeons, which is a common element of criticism.
The weapon breaking stuff has gotten a much worse reputation than it deserves - you constantly find new powerful weapons, and the low durability exists only to entice you to constantly switch out what you are using, there's no risk of ever running out. It's really more of a limited ammo system than anything else, and the solution is to not get attached to any of your weapons. That said, you fairly quickly build a big enough inventory to never even have to worry about weapon breaking at all, because you always have like 20 backup flaming swords or whatever - so the system definitely could have been implemented better, it's just not the massive annoyance people tend to make it out as.

What it does excel at is making an "open world" video game world that actually feels like an interesting place to explore. It's not like Skyrim or The Witcher 3 where it's just a big procedurally generated field to beeline from where ever you are to where ever on the map you have a marker telling you to go. You have to actively make an effort to go places, and you only ever get four "markers" on your map set by the game itself, indicating the four big things you can go and do before going to the final boss. But if you want you can also head straight to the final boss immediately after finishing the tutorial'ish area.
For anything else you need to climb up to a high place and look around for interesting things in the distance and mark down manually where you want to go. And at least to me while playing it, I constantly felt like there were a ton of different areas I wanted to go an see what held, knowing I'd almost always find something unique.

FWIW, Breath of the Wild fields like the direct antithesis to "skyward schlong" in every way possible, and a pretty surprising move from Nintendo IMO.
Last edited by Sumez on Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

I played it quite a lot, and I like it more than most of the other 3D Zeldas. It has the very nice quality of mostly just letting you play the damned game and not handholding, railroading, or plot-dumping you all the time. While graphically (especially on Wii U which is the version I have) the game has its sore spots (cliff/rock textures being a big one), I felt most the scenery looked quite nice, and combined with minimalist music and the general polish & playability* you get from Nintendo's games and I'd say it's quite "comfy". Don't expect much REAL GAMERING from it, though. Sure, when starting out naked and defenseless you can get bopped a lot, but like most ARPGs it's not long before you accrue some better health and equipment.
*barring the huge frame drops from time-to-time, especially in the sandstorm area -- again more of a Wii U issue

Granted, I've generally avoided "open world" games, so I don't have any perspective on how it compares there. Personally I find it weird how often I see people say something to the effect of "normally I don't like these open-world games but BotW was different" but all their complaints about "those other open-world games" just sound like BotW to me. :lol: Maybe these games I've been avoiding are even more miserable than I assumed.

I have a laundry list of complaints with the game, but the big problems that stands out to me after having finished the game is that a lot of the real-estate doesn't seem to serve much purpose, and there's not much sense of "progression". I guess it's a consequence of their commitment to such an absurd level of non-linearity; other than some "extreme weather protection", you're never really required to do or have something before you can go somewhere or do something. When combined with the Bill-Rizer/Spider-Man universal climbing and the paraglider, I would argue against Sumez and say that you definitely can just freely beeline to wherever; to the point that I think it gives the game world something of a silly "sandbox" feel in the most "child's playground" sense of the term.
Part of that might also be because of the general lack of "interior areas", such as caves. This leaves most of everything just kinda laying out more or less in plain sight.

The second, more thorough playthrough I did of the game, where I turned off the HUD and tried to minimize all the climbing, gliding, warping, map-checking, etc -- basically playing most of the game like you do the opening plateau -- was a lot more satisfying. There's quite a lot of both detail and deliberate design to the game world that you won't notice if you're just scrambling from one (self-made) waypoint to the next. However, a real sore point that stuck out to me after finishing that playthrough is that even though I did a huge amount of "content" -- shrines, sidequests, finding equipment, etc -- that I did not do on my initial "quick & dirty" playthrough, I technically didn't experience much of anything really new or unique. Most of the game content felt samey and redundant. Even some of the places that looked unique didn't really have anything to do there that I wasn't doing everywhere else.