What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Sumez

Re: What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Post by Sumez »

You can just set the battle system to wait. It makes it a little too easy to abuse, but I think the game is more fun that way.
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

Sumez wrote:You can just set the battle system to wait. It makes it a little too easy to abuse, but I think the game is more fun that way.
yah but that just means "wait while I scroll through items/techs", it's just as active in any other state, as I have discovered while fighting some of the later bosses.
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

not that the game hasn't been mostly a breeze thus far, it's just an oddly stressful system
kitten

Post by kitten »

Mycophobia & The Twenty Minute Later Follow-up Post (Part 36)

(i like that you do this it's just amusing)

i kind of like the stress of chrono trigger's active battling given its otherwise low difficulty. i know navigating menus quickly isn't exactly the most graceful implementation of acquired skill in a game, but it's something enough to make me pay a bit more attention and not get swept over by jrpg ennui. one of my favorite memories in the game is doing that one desert quicksand cavern the second it became available and getting my ass whooped a couple of times before nailing it.
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

kitten wrote:Mycophobia & The Twenty Minute Later Follow-up Post (Part 36)

The people need to know when I’ve appended another thought to my previous one. Editing ain’t gonna cut it!
i kind of like the stress of chrono trigger's active battling given its otherwise low difficulty. i know navigating menus quickly isn't exactly the most graceful implementation of acquired skill in a game, but it's something enough to make me pay a bit more attention and not get swept over by jrpg ennui.

It’s definitely an interesting system, I think I just got flustered by Giga Gaia repeatedly pwning me when I still thought “wait” meant that they would wait for you to take your turn before attacking again. It’s like “he’s attacking AGAIN? I didn’t even do anything yet!” [somber death music]
BIL

Post by BIL »

mycophobia wrote:
kitten wrote:Mycophobia & The Twenty Minute Later Follow-up Post (Part 36)

The people need to know when I’ve appended another thought to my previous one. Editing ain’t gonna cut it!
Edit the post, then copy it, delete and repost. Bumps thread too. ;3

Alternatively, you should really observe forum etiquette and follow up your double post with a third post apologising for it! :O Not this forum's etiquette admittedly! ;3
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Playing CT for the first time so jealous.

I'm playing Crash via the NSane trilogy. Man this game is a pile of ass and shit. Gonna beat it though.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Shit man, still playing BotW. When did Zelda get hard :o
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Steamflogger Boss

Marc wrote:Shit man, still playing BotW. When did Zelda get hard :o
Has it properly hooked you now? I know you said you were close to dropping it before.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Been back into Heretic again.
Normal mode Ossuary - episode 4.

Man E4M1 was nuts, I really had to play to the best of my ability to beat this stage with the Liches dead.
I'm not great at FPS at the best of times tbh.

M7 and 8 were a lot of fun actually, 7 in particular seemed well designed.

Had a go at episode 5, The Stagnant Demesne. (had to look that word up)
Whew.. got through the level on Smite Meister but it was a generally unpleasant experience..
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

i really wish the battle theme in wizardry tale of the forsaken land was half as good as the one in etrian odyssey 3 :(

unfortunately it's a four bar loop of music which is basically an insanely budget version of the FFVII battle theme -_-;

the game in general is amazing so far though. why does no one ever talk about this game? is anyone here well versed in the genre in general? how different is this game from main line wizardry games, or other non-etrian odyssey games in the genre? from what i've read it's a kind of side series from mainline wizardry and quite different, but other than being a lot simpler it's very similar to EO3(the only one i've played).
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

or if could hack my ps2 to play family potato party everytime a battle started, i'd fucking love that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy6FQFCOeD4
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

welcome to the 20-minutes-apart double post club brother. 8)
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

thanks! i always knew my parents were wrong when they said i'd never amount to anything.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Immryr wrote: the game in general is amazing so far though. why does no one ever talk about this game? is anyone here well versed in the genre in general? how different is this game from main line wizardry games, or other non-etrian odyssey games in the genre? from what i've read it's a kind of side series from mainline wizardry and quite different, but other than being a lot simpler it's very similar to EO3(the only one i've played).
I bought that game immediately after getting enthralled by the first Etrian Odyssey, when the sequels did not yet exist and I suddenly hungered for more Japanese DRPGs, and that game just looks awesome. And the Japanese-exclusive direct sequel looks even better.
I'm sure the Japanese developed spinoffs are bound to be different from the classic series.

Oh, of course I've still not gotten around to actually playing the game.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Immryr wrote:i really wish the battle theme in wizardry tale of the forsaken land was half as good as the one in etrian odyssey 3 :(

the game in general is amazing so far though. why does no one ever talk about this game? is anyone here well versed in the genre in general?
TotFS is generally highly regarded and it is often lamented we did not get a translation of the sequel. Same goes for the PS1 exclusive Wizardry Dimguil.

Wizardry comes up every now and then on the forum as there's a few fans here (I love Wizardry style dungeon crawlers, it is a guilty pleasure of mine), and the following thread is probably the "Wizardry Thread" for the forum, though it hasn't had a post for a while. Don't let that discourage you from using it to gush about the games: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=35958&start=120
guigui

Post by guigui »

^^ ty, I'll post there in search for a nice game available on the switch.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Tale of the Forsaken Land has got some of the most lamentably disfigured 2D character art I've seen in a Japanese game. Couldn't find any screenshots online of quality decent enough to illustrate this last time I brought it up, but really, there's George Kamitani bodies, then there's this. So, anyone looking for a benchmark in that respect, check out Tale of the Forsaken Land too.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Sumez

Post by Sumez »

The artist is pretty talented, but he seems to have a thing for bondage tiddy artwork similar to Kamitani:

https://www.catsuka.com/focuson/terada_katsuya/1
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

the character art in ToFL is really great. especially when compared with etrian odyssey, or even the ps3 wizardry game, LoLS. it definitely helps in a game like this, having good art to set the mood.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

I keep wondering how come artists over there can get away this far out of doujin circles so completely skipping anatomy lessons. Seems like a nation-wide disdain for academicism.
The way out is cut off

Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I'm fairly certain the artists in question here are well experienced in correct anatomy and allowed to delve into artistic freedom. Wether you enjoy that style or not is a different subject. Kamitani's non-video game artwork is seriously uncomfortable to me.
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

i'm not sure there is an academic way to draw a video game hobbit tbch
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Or a wizard.
Spoiler
Steamflogger Boss

I cleared Trash Bandicoot and I don't get any love that game gets. I can think of loads of better platformers even just from that era.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I haven't played the Crash games since they were new, but I always hated them back then.
Lazy, repetitive and unimaginative. Honestly, I have also never heard any love for them at all, until in very recent years when people who grew up with them are all of a sudden old enough to have nostalgia for them.
Before then, I've always lumped them in with the shovelware/mainstream trash titles you'd always find at fleamarkets instead of any actually cool games. You know, along with the FIFA games, etc.
Steamflogger Boss

Sumez wrote:I haven't played the Crash games since they were new, but I always hated them back then.
Lazy, repetitive and unimaginative. Honestly, I have also never heard any love for them at all, until in very recent years when people who grew up with them are all of a sudden old enough to have nostalgia for them.
Before then, I've always lumped them in with the shovelware/mainstream trash titles you'd always find at fleamarkets instead of any actually cool games. You know, along with the FIFA games, etc.
Agree. I think most people that actually play a lot of games hate them. If not for the fact that I was doing this for a game of the month thing I would have just dropped it. But damn it I've got a multi-month combo going on that and I wasn't about to let this furry shit stop me.

On another forum someone told me they liked Crash more than Mario 64. I backed away slowly.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

I don't think trained artists easily throw away all the lessons they took when drawing centaurs, mermaids, cupids and such, which they've been doing for a while. It is not academically forbidden.
The way out is cut off

Immryr

Post by Immryr »

i'm not sure why i'm once again falling into the trap of responding to your utter bollocks but.... for one thing, i haven't seen anything in ToFL that i would even remotely call 'anatomically incorrect'. please show me what you mean cause i cannot think of any examples so far during my 12 or so hours of playing the game.

secondly art is not an academic discipline.... it's an expressive one. there is no right way to draw/paint/sculpt/whatever something. you must think picasso was a fucking abomination.
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
yep... such 'anatomically incorrect' art.