What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
To Far Away Times

Re: What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Post by To Far Away Times »

I disliked the randomness in Dead Cells, it really felt like you were at the mercy of the RNG weapons more than in most rouge likes. Also, the stages are way too long for what they are.

I haven't played it in many years and haven't played the Castlevania expansion but I wasn't too impressed with the original version after a few hours.
guigui

Post by guigui »

To Far Away Times wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:32 am I disliked the randomness in Dead Cells, it really felt like you were at the mercy of the RNG weapons more than in most rouge likes.
I was also overwhelmed by the weapon pool at first, but this is where the custom mode comes in : with it you can choose which weapons will actually spawn during your run. So if you always want to play with this big sword and this grenade, just select only those ones and you'll be sure to get only them.
In a sense, this is like making your own build in a game like Diablo or Dark Souls : choose your arsenal and spells and try to clear.
To Far Away Times wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:32 am Also, the stages are way too long for what they are.
True that they are a bit long. Once you know them the main objective is to find the main items the contain like stats boost, weapons, cursed chest, shortcuts, then proceed to next level. It goes faster once you know what you're actually looking for.

I haven't played it in many years and haven't played the Castlevania expansion but I wasn't too impressed with the original version after a few hours.
Coming back to the beginning : custom mode was not included in original version, so weapon pool was hard to handle. Also a lot of other things and quality of life improvments have been added over time. Devs actually listen to player's comments.

I felt the same when it came out, dropped it, came back like 3 years later and was hooked.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

To Far Away Times wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:32 am I disliked the randomness in Dead Cells, it really felt like you were at the mercy of the RNG weapons more than in most rouge likes. Also, the stages are way too long for what they are.

This game along with Isaac, Rogue Legacy, and Enter the Gungeon was one of the games that made me really stop caring about this subgenre. Wouldn't be until Monolith I finally found one I actually enjoyed.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

XoPachi wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:09 am
To Far Away Times wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:32 am I disliked the randomness in Dead Cells, it really felt like you were at the mercy of the RNG weapons more than in most rouge likes. Also, the stages are way too long for what they are.

This game along with Isaac, Rogue Legacy, and Enter the Gungeon was one of the games that made me really stop caring about this subgenre. Wouldn't be until Monolith I finally found one I actually enjoyed.
Monolith and Hades are hella cool. Monolith for the genre blending, and slick pixel art and music, and Hades for the A++ character designs, voice acting, script, and clever storytelling idea. Hades’ weapon boons were really well done too. Those are the only two rouge likes that ever clicked with me.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I'll give them credit for being French for sure! :)
ryu

Post by ryu »

To Far Away Times wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:32 am I disliked the randomness in Dead Cells, it really felt like you were at the mercy of the RNG weapons.
Isn't that the point of the genre? Otherwise it would be an action arcade game.

I try to stay away from these games because they pull me in too much. Wouldn't have played Returnal had I known it was like Dead Cells. That one was way too addicting too.
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I think Returnal manages to work around the general "roguelite" structure quite well. It's not what makes the game good, but it also doesn't subtract too much from it. It also doesn't hinge much on RNG at all.
It's probably the only way you can get away with making a modern game with such a large budget where failing actually has the consequence of a major setback, and I think that specific aspect is crucial to the game.

Honestly, Returnal is fucking great.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Trying to play the Ghostbusters game that came out some years ago. I find it kind of annoying tbh. The controls are sort of janky and vague; aiming the proton packs feels like flinging a wet noodle around on the screen, and the camera constantly wants you dead.

Also there is basically no point at which so far I felt like I could explore any of the levels. They expect you to pretty much just be constantly on edge, running around after them and jumping through hoops. It doesn't feel as much like fun as a chore.

Not sure what I expected, but they had a flash sale on Steam and I got it for a few bucks or something and thought it would be worth a laugh. Not sure if I will finish this one. Probably going to join Alien Isolation in video game limbo.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

After the original PS1 Crash Bandicoot trilogy gave me a positive surprise last year, I've delved into Crash 4 now, and god damn this is how to make a late sequel.

The first game was by far my favourite of the first three games, more pure platforming challenges with fewer gimmicks, and an actual demanding challenge for getting the bonus in each stage, that rewarded skill and practice. 3 had some really great additions, even if it's also held back a little by all the boring gimmick stages, while 2 was an "okay" middle-ground.

But you can tell that the people who made Crash 4 shared my impressions of what the strengths and weaknesses of those three games are, as they have clearly opted to elaborate on all the best stuff, while getting red of everything that didn't work. It's a game clearly made with a shit ton of pure passion for the subject, easily as far from "hey we got the bandicoot license, let's plop out a game and make some dough" you can get. These guys wanted to make the best Crash Bandicoot, and although I'm still not too far into it, it seems likely they succeeded. It's not just that it's a good 3D platformer, it's how good it is at tapping into the quirks and challenges that set the series apart from everything else, such as the strategic crate jumping or unique usage of perspective.
This game is a gem and I feel bad for sleeping on it upon its release. I wonder if its intended target audience even realise just how good it is.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Oh yeah, Crash 4. There are two separate Crash 4s in Japan and the second one released after Crash 5, which is interesting.

I also must say that Japanese Crash Bandicoot marketing is both super strange and really entertaining. I'm pretty sure the weird dance he does starting in Crash 2 actually originated in the Japanese TV commercials for the first game.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Steven wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:43 am Oh yeah, Crash 4. There are two separate Crash 4s in Japan and the second one released after Crash 5, which is interesting.
Wouldn't that make three then? Not sure which ones you're referring to, but I'm talking about the 2020 game - and calling it 4, although cocky, is completely justified IMO :)
Steven

Post by Steven »

Sumez wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:00 am
Steven wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:43 am Oh yeah, Crash 4. There are two separate Crash 4s in Japan and the second one released after Crash 5, which is interesting.
Wouldn't that make three then? Not sure which ones you're referring to, but I'm talking about the 2020 game - and calling it 4, although cocky, is completely justified IMO :)
In Japan Wrath of Cortex is called Crash Bandicoot 4, Twinsanity is Crash Bandicoot 5, and Crash Bandicoot 4 is called Crash Bandicoot 4. I guess they didn't feel like calling it Crash Bandicoot 6.
ryu

Post by ryu »

Why would Wrath of Cortex be Crash 4? Did they count CTR and another spinoff I never heard about as mainline games?
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Warped is Crash Bandicoot 3 in Japan and also Europe. Not really sure why they decided to make Wrath of Cortex Crash 4 in Japan, but they did. Crash is or at least used to be relatively popular in Japan.
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

There's some really slick levels in Crash 4. A lot of the stuff in that game was surprisingly great. I haven't felt the need to revisit it since finishing the game but I'd say it's a quality title for sure. The Mardi Gras levels I thought in particular were really memorable.

https://youtu.be/E6ROSVvR5U8?si=uOvBvwyn0ZaXxwxB
Steven

Post by Steven »

It makes me kind of sad that the Crash game I have played by far the most is Crash Bash. One of my friends had it and every time I went to his house after he got his PS1 that was like the only thing we ever played. I have no idea why.

Having skipped the PS1 entirely, I don't think I ever played the original Crash Bandicoot until about a decade ago when I got it on my Vita due to a PSN glitch that let me buy it, as that game isn't "supposed" to be on Vita for some reason, and I didn't play it much. I really should play all of them, but 3D platformers in general are really not my thing for some reason.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Steven wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:27 am Warped is Crash Bandicoot 3 in Japan and also Europe. Not really sure why they decided to make Wrath of Cortex Crash 4 in Japan, but they did.
Well because it's the 4th game, it makes perfect sense. But obviously making a new game in 2020 and calling that Crash Bandicoot 4 is making a statement, and given the way they approach the series I think it's justified. Without ever having played any of the PS2 sequels that most people don't care for anyway, I feel confident saying this is the direction the series should have gone in. It's not like Contra 4 or Double Dragon IV that just make no sense whatsoever. :)
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

This Tiny Toons game Treasure put out on the GBA is so much fun. It's just distilled, instant action. I've been at this for like 2 hours now.
guigui

Post by guigui »

XoPachi wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:00 am This Tiny Toons game Treasure put out on the GBA is so much fun. It's just distilled, instant action.
Can replace with :
XoPachi wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:00 am This ******** game Treasure put out on the ***** is so much fun. It's just distilled, instant action.
Though I never tried that Tiny Toons one, thanks for the head up.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

I probably should give the Crash games another shot again. Didn't play 'em back in the PS1 days somehow, and I wasn't a fan of 'em like 10 years ago [shit, literally 10 years ago]. Just didn't click with me back then, but it's been a decade and maybe me from back then was wrong, lol.

Was playing StepManiaX today, a game that is basically DDR with 5 panels [in the DDR plus shape and not the PIU X shape] and I am constantly cursing the Bemani patent that makes the note hit area lack icons or a target line -- lines scroll up with the playfield and stop on the target area before fading out to indicate it. It's not hard to get used to, but it is genuinely just a baffling decision that only exists to avoid legal trouble. It's expired now, but it wasn't when the game was being developed.
The center panel is a fun addition. I need to get used to the pad sensitivity, it's very different to the DDR cab at the Round 1 I go to.
SMX also managed to get a bunch of the classic third-party song licenses from oldschool DDR since Konami didn't bother, and since NAOKI got blacklisted from Konami after leaving for Capcom, some of his songs are in too. :P

also I was playing IIDX today but like, that isn't worth mentioning anymore, I'm always playing IIDX now :lol:
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

null1024 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:48 am I probably should give the Crash games another shot again. Didn't play 'em back in the PS1 days somehow, and I wasn't a fan of 'em like 10 years ago [shit, literally 10 years ago]. Just didn't click with me back then, but it's been a decade and maybe me from back then was wrong, lol.
Yeah this was me until last year. Series never appealed to me. The character and style of the game was off-putting and the actual games felt like one of those early attempts at adapting platforming into 3D without really understanding how to utilize the third dimension. As a 3D platformer it just obviously doesn't really compare to something like Mario 64.

But I think replaying the first game in 2023 i was able to just appreciate it for what it was and the unique things it does instead of what it isn't. I think that is also part of why I enjoy the first game more than the sequels, as those try to branch out and end up just doing stuff other games have done better.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

I didn't grow up with Crash directly. My cousins had the PS1 trilogy as they were coming out and I really always found them fun. I usually don't like outwardly goofy video game characters, but Crash was the exception.
I see a lot of disdain towards Crash 4 but I thought that was a pretty great swansong (I'm assuming Crash is going back in the cellar). 3 is probably my favorite.
guigui wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:15 am
XoPachi wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:00 am This Tiny Toons game Treasure put out on the GBA is so much fun. It's just distilled, instant action.
Can replace with :
XoPachi wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:00 am This ******** game Treasure put out on the ***** is so much fun. It's just distilled, instant action.
Though I never tried that Tiny Toons one, thanks for the head up.
I love most Treasure things, but when they miss for me, they MISS for me (or sometimes just outright does not interest me). And I tend to avoid licensed games. So I didn't really know what to expect.
ryu

Post by ryu »

I really liked the first two games when I was younger and attempted to achieve the 100% complete in Crash 2 a couple years later. After that... I just never cared about the franchise again.

Also I just noticed I mistook Wrath of Cortex for Cortex Strikes Back when I wondered about the latter being called Crash 4 earlier. Whoops.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Starting up on Unicorn Overlord.
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

Working through my backlog. Having cleared Devil May Cry 5 on PS5, it's time for Super Mario Odyssey.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

evil_ash_xero wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:36 am Starting up on Unicorn Overlord.
I actually really want to play this. It looks extremely well made.
ryu

Post by ryu »

Unicorn Overlord reminded me of JRPGs from the '90s to '00s. If only Vanillaware wasn't adamant to keep the flash game look...
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

I don't get flash game vibes from them in the slightest.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Maybe I see the "flash" aspect in Vanillaware games : characters are like set down on the background, like a piece of paper would be set down on another one ; and they move awkwardly as if developpers did not have time/skill to make better and smooth animations.

I very much like those aspects in VW games though, do not play like a flash game at all.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Currently going throught the Silent Hill games I haven't played.

A year ago I played through Shattered Memories on PS2. Brought some new ideas into the mix i've never seen before likes mazes you need to run through.

Yesterday I completed PS3 "Homecoming". This one looks like it was tacked together. The first half is more or less the usual stuff with survival horror being at the centre and I have to say it was extremely hard to navigate the police station up to Scarlett. Rations were far and few between and I was only able to beat Scarlett once I started over again as it was just ridiculous. Its not a game you can control what is going to happen next, hit detection is ropey and the default lighting settings are shit. After the Scarlett boss things become more "Resident evil". There seems to be an avalanche of rations and bullets that I ended up completing the game with 3 med kits and 3 healths. Also what is it with puzzles that involve "Chess"? I don't play Chess I have no idea what is what with the game. Resident evil 2 and Homecoming both have puzzles involving chess pieces. I have to cheat on these as I don't have a clue about the puzzle. I think devs should think twice before involving puzzles that involve other games that folk might not have played before. I ain't gonna learn chess to beat a puzzle in a survival horror game.

Homecoming also suffers from a hard boss preceded by a cutscene 2 mins long you cannot skip. This is another pet peeve I have with devs that make unskippable cut scenes before a horrible boss you need to fight 10x to beat, which means watching the cutscene 10x as well. So bad.

I had so much health at the end I just slashed the last boss with a knife until it died.

A weird thing about Homecoming is that i've played it before. I didn't own it until 3 weeks ago, I don't remember selling it and it was only 3 hours in that I started having these memories of the map and locations in the cemetary. I wonder if I got so far and couldn't progress and sold it on. I had these weird memories right until the end so maybe I already beat it when it came out.

I will give "Downpour" a shot now. I definitely haven't played it before.

i've introduced my family and friends to Moon Patrol on Evercade, it seems to be a hit even with the non gamers. Some of the reactions to deaths and near misses is hilarious. I miss those days of community gaming in the same room laughing and enjoying the perils of others. I really believe that gaming is missing a market of non gamers that find current gaming too complex to get into. I mean, once PS1 came out with its 4 shoulder buttons, 2 analogue sticks, 6 face buttons.. its daunting for a lot of people. Give them 8 bit classics and off they go....

I am currently getting my 5 min fixes with Dreamcast Mr Driller. That will change in due course. It takes a while to get everything out for some consoles as my game room is chocked up with crap everywhere.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.