What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
kaicooper

Re: What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Post by kaicooper »

seems like its Anti-Sonic thread now lol..
for me its Sonic 3 & Kunckls and Sonic Mania..thats it

Ghegs wrote: PC games only, then? If you like Wreckfest, than the earlier games from the same devs, namely FlatOut 2 and FlatOut: Ultimate Carnage are great picks.
just tried Wrecklest ..oh man this game is damn GOOOOOOOOOD
i think i'll grab FlatOut: Ultimate Carnage just to support..

i tried also F1 2018 and Project Cars..nah not for me at all..they are great for sure if got wheels or
online friends to enjoy it...

i think i'll stick with Wreckfest..love this game
Marc

Post by Marc »

kaicooper wrote:seems like its Anti-Sonic thread now lol..
for me its Sonic 3 & Kunckls and Sonic Mania..thats it

Ghegs wrote: PC games only, then? If you like Wreckfest, than the earlier games from the same devs, namely FlatOut 2 and FlatOut: Ultimate Carnage are great picks.
just tried Wrecklest ..oh man this game is damn GOOOOOOOOOD
i think i'll grab FlatOut: Ultimate Carnage just to support..

i tried also F1 2018 and Project Cars..nah not for me at all..they are great for sure if got wheels or
online friends to enjoy it...

i think i'll stick with Wreckfest..love this game
Despite some occasionally questionable physics (cars can behave very strangely as soon as wheels leave the ground), Ultimate Carnage was by far my favourite arcade racer on 360 - even with under-rated gems like Pure, Split/Second and Blur knocking around. It's sheer physicality us unmatched, really gets the blood pumping. I'll be on Wreckfest day one on PS4.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Sumez wrote:Sonic '06 is better.
06 is literally more of the same, except Sonic handles even worse and has more issues. Stop that. :lol:

as an aside, I've spent too much time playing mobile games lately :lol:
Well, just Honkai Impact, really. Pretty standard dodge-roll beat-em-up. Nice graphics. It's an okay time waster.
the game has provided like zero incentive for me to spend any money or even understand why anyone would, but that also means it's entirely worth playing 100% F2P
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Ajora

Post by Ajora »

A lot of talk about Sonic here. Sonic 1 was never really anything special, even for its time. It was merely only passable. Sonic 2 had amazing graphics and music, and its level design was a big improvement over the first game. I don't regard Sonic 2 as any sort of a masterpiece, but it is a good game. Sonic 3 & Knuckles is easily my favorite Sonic game and is excellent all-around. Sonic CD was kinda crap. It was way too easy, the last boss battle was a joke, and the level design was uninspired. Sonic 2 and Sonic Chaos on the Game Gear were both just whatever. Sonic Mania looks pretty good, but I haven't played it. And as much as I like Sonic 3 & Knuckles, I think Rocket Knight Adventures is slightly better.

Personally, my favorite Sega Genesis game is Shinobi 3, followed very closely by Musha Aleste and Streets of Rage 2. It's kind of amazing that Sonic 1 was the big system seller for the time, even though Musha Aleste was already available worldwide, and nobody paid much attention to it.
There was a time, in the era of great chaos, when the Earth and the moon were at war with each other. A daredevil from the moon piloted a bizarre aircraft. It was feared, and because of its shape, called... Einhander.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

null1024 wrote:
Sumez wrote:Sonic '06 is better.
06 is literally more of the same, except Sonic handles even worse and has more issues. Stop that. :lol:
06 has a really shitty overworld, horrible/constant loading times, and the "speed stages" are broken beyond measure. But the "standard" Sonic stages function much better than the ones in Sonic Adventure 2, and for the periods where they actually behave as intended, they are more fun to play than anything the earlier 3D Sonic games had to offer.
I mean, Sonic 06 is still a really shitty game, but it has enjoyable moments, which is more than I can say about SA2. I never understood why '06 always gets singled out, when everything it does wrong was already introduced 8 years prior.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Ajora wrote:Musha Aleste was already available worldwide
Erh, what? ò_Ô
Ajora

Post by Ajora »

I forgot that Musha Aleste never had a European release. It still came out before Sonic the Hedgehog in both Japan and North America, however.
There was a time, in the era of great chaos, when the Earth and the moon were at war with each other. A daredevil from the moon piloted a bizarre aircraft. It was feared, and because of its shape, called... Einhander.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Ajora wrote:A lot of talk about Sonic here. Sonic 1 was never really anything special, even for its time. It was merely only passable. Sonic 2 had amazing graphics and music, and its level design was a big improvement over the first game. I don't regard Sonic 2 as any sort of a masterpiece, but it is a good game. Sonic 3 & Knuckles is easily my favorite Sonic game and is excellent all-around. Sonic CD was kinda crap. It was way too easy, the last boss battle was a joke, and the level design was uninspired. Sonic 2 and Sonic Chaos on the Game Gear were both just whatever. Sonic Mania looks pretty good, but I haven't played it. And as much as I like Sonic 3 & Knuckles, I think Rocket Knight Adventures is slightly better.

Personally, my favorite Sega Genesis game is Shinobi 3, followed very closely by Musha Aleste and Streets of Rage 2. It's kind of amazing that Sonic 1 was the big system seller for the time, even though Musha Aleste was already available worldwide, and nobody paid much attention to it.
I've mentioned this before, but a: MUSHA didn't get nearly as much advertising, and b: there's really little else on the machine actually looked as good [emphasis on visuals] as Sonic did in 1991. A lot of the other big titles people like to say are 1992 releases.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Ghegs wrote:If you like Wreckfest, than the earlier games from the same devs, namely FlatOut 2 and FlatOut: Ultimate Carnage are great picks.
Any reason to skip the 1st one? I've already got 1&2 for PC, but have yet to install either.
Am I tempted to acquire the Wii one, even though it's by a different dev. Looks like one of those never taken seriously by anyone.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Sumez wrote: But the "standard" Sonic stages function much better than the ones in Sonic Adventure 2
They don't though. The controls, the bugs, the basic handling...it's all a magnitude worse than either Dreamcast title. Null is right, there's a perfectly understandable reason why it's singled out: it's worse. A LOT worse. Not even the first fucking stage is borderline functional.

SA2 is a bad game but 06' is a straight up kusoge. Simple as that.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Uh. When is the last time you have played any of the Dreamcast games? :)
NYN

Re: welcome to the interpeeps

Post by NYN »

Sumez wrote: 06 has a really shitty overworld, horrible/constant loading times, and the "speed stages" are broken beyond measure. But the "standard" Sonic stages function much better than the ones in Sonic Adventure 2, and for the periods where they actually behave as intended, they are more fun to play than anything the earlier 3D Sonic games had to offer.
I mean, Sonic 06 is still a really shitty game, but it has enjoyable moments, which is more than I can say about SA2. I never understood why '06 always gets singled out, when everything it does wrong was already introduced 8 years prior.
Whoa, nellah!
All that you said, and you still maintain this opinion?
Basically you mean to express that an underdeveloped product, glichted and all, is more enjoyable in places than a predecessor you can not abide as a whole?
That's nasty. I reckon you got sand, but beep if I know in which deeps.
WhatImageeven mean, though?!
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I'm not saying Sonic 06 is a good game. I'm just saying the Sonic Adventure games are clearly even worse.
NYN

Re: chaos emeraldo

Post by NYN »

What about Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog?
No banter here, just completing the picture.

I'll say that I'm through with the blue hog and cannot think about any other series more messed up in their own history.
Sonic Mania sounds threatening to me, with its approach to "bringing the fun" back. It's long lost. Some here would disprove that it ever existed.
kaicooper

Post by kaicooper »

hope you guys open new Sonic thread and fight for 20 years with Sonic 06 sequel :mrgreen:
-----------

anyway i played Metro Exudos finally..WHAT A DISSAPOINTED SHIT :|
Marc

Post by Marc »

Sumez wrote:I'm not saying Sonic 06 is a good game. I'm just saying the Sonic Adventure games are clearly even worse.
I have vague memories of having fun with the first one, although I don't think I ever finished it. Probably more to due with being one of the very first DC I ever played however, it didn't last long once I got stuck into the greater library.
The second was one of the biggest pieces of shit I've ever had the misfortune to play, how it was ever rated by any press, whatsoever, is beyond me. Of all the Japanese DC stuff I've had to sell over the years, I've still got the JPN 10th Anniversary Edition of that turd.

I've not played ANY of the 3D ones since then, though I know I have two knocking around in a bundle of Wii stuff I picked up a few years ago. Black Knight and.... something. I always though Colours was supposed to be decent though?

Mania, I'll end up caving on when it's on sale at a similar price point as the Ages games.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
NYN

Re: humble offerings

Post by NYN »

I'll submit the title. You know it'll be relevant. Almost 2 years to the big 30. Its gotta go fast.

SUPER SONIC DEATH BATTLE 1: FIGHT THE REDUNDANCY, HOLD RIGHT/FORWARD
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I actually kind of enjoyed Sonic Heroes. Still not great, but the stages and controls were much more functional than the DC titles, and feels like it was moving further towards what they originally intended to do with those games.
This is more subjective, but I also feel that its presentation and worldbuilding was more in line with the fun and colorful classic Sonic games, rather than placing Sonic in a modern town with "real people" and edgy 90s surf rock. It's much more appealing to me.

Unfortunately it has that stupid team mechanic the game is based around, starting the tendency of every new Sonic game needing some kind of gimmick that stands in the way of any merit the game could have had.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:
Ghegs wrote:If you like Wreckfest, than the earlier games from the same devs, namely FlatOut 2 and FlatOut: Ultimate Carnage are great picks.
Any reason to skip the 1st one? I've already got 1&2 for PC, but have yet to install either.
Am I tempted to acquire the Wii one, even though it's by a different dev. Looks like one of those never taken seriously by anyone.
I like the first one well enough (shameless plug: We have a Time Attack thread on Rolling Start) but the game is notably different from its sequels, which are a tad more approachable, I feel. Also worth noting that the first game has a proper time attack mode, which the sequels lack, but then UC has once more.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

It's also worth mentioning that the DX version of the first Sonic Adventure actually changed some things for the worse compared to the US/EU/JP Interational versions of the DC version (the original JP DC version had more bugs and worse camera angles than the later DC version). The GCN version has a less stable (but at a peak 60 FPS) framerate and adds more bugs. As far as I know, these issues weren't fixed with later versions, though I'm not completely sure on the 360 and later PC version.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Ronyn wrote:I'll submit the title. You know it'll be relevant. Almost 2 years to the big 30. Its gotta go fast.

SUPER SONIC DEATH BATTLE 1: FIGHT THE REDUNDANCY, HOLD RIGHT/FORWARD
You're not a real fan until you've tried knuckles chaotix.

No doubt I'd probably hate sanic if I tried it for the first time now. But 1&2 were pretty much my first experiences in gaming, they're my mother tongue, basically. I'm so used to the controls and feel of the game that I can't be objective really. You seem to feel quite strongly on the matter, Ronyn.
Already spent all my autism bux defending zeldo tho so i'll leave this one.

Interestingly when I played 3 for the first time a couple of years back I was incredibly bored by the pseudo-cutscenes Squire mentioned. I remember thinking "ffs just let me play." Annoying game.

Ah well this is what 25 years of sonic sounds like. https://youtu.be/6NL50_W_mgU
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I always viewed Sonic 3's pseudo-cutscenes as the perfect example of how to do these in an action game.

Very short and to the point. No dialogue, but tons of character. They play out in the context of the actual stages, and bind them together quite elegantly.

The only one I'm not a fan of is the one right before the boss on Launch Base Zone, but that's a minor nitpick.
NYN

Re: have your fill

Post by NYN »

Blinge wrote: You seem to feel quite strongly on the matter, Ronyn.
:)

It's exaggerated on my part. In a way I mock my long-held naivitè (that does not sound healthy) on a not-so-well-oiled franchise machine-man-eater.
Yeah, there was always the merch.
But I was once silly enough to think that the video games were the solid (solid enough) core in the midst of the Chaos Emeraldo storm.
Until S&K. After that it's plain obvious. So when someone points out things that are on my blue side of the hog I say "Hold on. Gimme a minute. Honest?".
I wouldn't defend anything. It's not personal.
I couldn't cook up things like 'hold-right' or 'LZ is death', I was baffled to hear about such "criticism". I upgrated from 8bit to 16bit Sonicah and everything was bigger and more colourful than before. Maybe that blinded me. The hungry boy's story. (you may shed a tear now :wink: )
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Blinge wrote:Already spent all my autism bux defending zeldo
And Nier! ;)
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Pft. I liked Nier but i wouldn't defend the jank.
I'll also be picking up 'game of the yorha' (bleurgh!!) edition. Even if the DLC is just battle arenas or something.
Sumez wrote:I always viewed Sonic 3's pseudo-cutscenes as the perfect example of how to do these in an action game.

Very short and to the point. No dialogue, but tons of character. They play out in the context of the actual stages, and bind them together quite elegantly.

The only one I'm not a fan of is the one right before the boss on Launch Base Zone, but that's a minor nitpick.
Ah right, nah they're okay.
I might've misunderstood. I was thinking of the myriad little stage attractions / rollercoasters that whip you around at high speed but take all the control off you in the process.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Blinge wrote:Pft. I liked Nier but i wouldn't defend the jank.
I'll also be picking up 'game of the yorha' (bleurgh!!) edition. Even if the DLC is just battle arenas or something.
The arenas are surprisingly good. They also give unlocks that allow the player to edit their level/stats so the games stage select and NG+ becomes worth using. One of the final arenas is like Bloody Palace from DMC, I think that's the best part of the game in terms of combat. It expects you to use all abilities and should be challenging for anyone.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Wow, the maps in that vid are fucking garbage!
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Early Automata impressions:

- For the record, the "GotY" edition is just the base game with a DLC voucher, so if anyone was hoping to have the extra content on the disc you're out of luck.

- Movement and combat feel decidedly better than they did in the first game - in significant part due to the (somewhat unsteady, but still welcome) frame rate upgrade - but still just a touch "off" to my fingers. Dodging, to wit, feels like it has to be activated really early for the counter window to work; if you wait until an attack is actually happening instead of during the windup you're basically guaranteed to eat it. I also find it difficult to tell when an enemy will be staggered by an attack and when they'll just bulldoze through it (and me). The camera can still be a bugger at times too, though there are a whole bunch of camera options I'm still fiddling around with, so I'm grateful that this was at least addressed.

- Speaking of countering, I learned the hard way that doing so is not always the best option, and sometimes you've just got to be a man and run away screeching like a startled toddler. Repeatedly. Especially since enemies hit pretty hard even on "Normal" and healing items are not as commonplace as they used to be (though you can hoard a lot more of them if you want). That said, during my learning experience I unlocked the much-coveted Ending W, 'cuz I'm just that awesome. :P

- There's a lock-on this time, which makes distance combat in particular much more feasible (perhaps a bit abusable, to be honest - since ammo is unlimited I find I can shoot my way out of most encounters if a close encounter goes bad), though the camera behavior while it's activated isn't optimal (maybe another setting I need to tweak?). The harder difficulties apparently disable it, and the hardest one features one-hit kills to boot; I dunno, is the game tuned tightly enough to really make such a mode feasible? I've taken enough "huh?" hits even this early on to seriously wonder...

- The game looks and sounds quite nice, though in fairness the first one also managed to do so in spite of various technical shortcomings, while this one obviously benefits from a larger budget and an additional console generation, though that's not exactly a "fault". Some of the perspective shifts and such can still feel forced, but I can't deny how neat (and rather surreal) it is to see an action-RPG open with a bona fide shmup segment.

- Obviously can't say too much about the story yet, but the MC seems to sometimes shift from emotionless to bleeding-heart at the drop of a hat with no apparent warning, which is rather jarring; while my companions so far are fine, I also can't help but miss the endearingly goofy buddy-movie ribbing of the first game's cast. It might be in part because I just played the original recently, but the sequel seems to beat the "something's screwy here" drum a lot more obviously, though I can't say I'm confident in knowing what's coming up, so we'll see how it goes.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Sumez wrote:I actually kind of enjoyed Sonic Heroes. Still not great, but the stages and controls were much more functional than the DC titles, and feels like it was moving further towards what they originally intended to do with those games.
This is more subjective, but I also feel that its presentation and worldbuilding was more in line with the fun and colorful classic Sonic games, rather than placing Sonic in a modern town with "real people" and edgy 90s surf rock. It's much more appealing to me.

Unfortunately it has that stupid team mechanic the game is based around, starting the tendency of every new Sonic game needing some kind of gimmick that stands in the way of any merit the game could have had.
Sonic Heroes is absolute garbage. It has a bad case of hold-forward-syndrome even by Sonic standards as well as what may be the worst implementation of character switching in gaming. You come up to the obstacle the characters say "this is a job for knuckles!" and so you push the character switch button and then you push b and then you switch back to Sonic and resume holding forward. You can't decide not to switch. There's one solution and they tell you what it is in case you somehow couldn't figure it out. The enemies are as harmless as they are in all Sonic games, perhaps even more so than usual, but now they have both HP and mercy invincibility. The end result is that mindlessly pushing the homing attack button has been replaced with mindlessly pressing the homing attack button three times. There is an extremely pointless upgrade system where you level up your guys so you only have to push the homing attack button once or twice. I suspect common enemies were given more than one hit for the sole purpose of justifying that system. There are four playable teams, all nearly identical, and they all have separate campaigns, which are slightly different versions of the same levels. You need to beat all four to see the final boss and real ending. It's a very bad game.