What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Sumez

Re: What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Post by Sumez »

Crash 4 is beginning to show its darker sides, and I can see why some people have issues with it.
It's not really the difficulty of getting 100% though, as a lot of reports would let you think, but the pure tedium.

The game is already excessively long as it is. There are probably twice as many stages as in any games of the original trilogy, and each of them is longer too, at least twice as long. Now if you're going for the time attack challenges, it's not so bad, most can actually be beaten extremely fast if you're just zooming through them, which is commendable. But the challenge to get every single crate in a stage easily becomes quite tedious.
It's hard to really criticize the game for this though, as the challenges are most often fun and well designed, and if you're a big Crash Bandicoot fan, the fact that this game leaves enough meat for you to spend ages chewing through is only good. But the issue comes with how padded the game is on top of that. At a certain point in the game, you unlock inverted stages. These are completely pointless, the exact same stage except it's mirrored, that's really it. But the six different gem challenges that populate the regular stage exist on this as well. Meaning if you went for all crates on the normal version, you need to do the same thing here, and the same for the beat-with-less-than-three-deaths one.

On top of that there's another challenge on each stage that I stumbled upon the first (and probably only ever) time I tried playing an inverted stage. If you beat a stage with no deaths and all crates you get a special collectible for that. Now, this is what Crash 1 actually rewarded - the only way to even get the "all crates" gem. So I should like it. But with the much longer stages and certain questionable challenges in this game, that task just becomes infinitely more daunting. Though the biggest issue here is how easily the game will kill you with random stuff that's not even supposed to be the challenging part (more on that when I'm done :)). This challenge is just an extra challenge for masochists who really love the game - and I do welcome that. But maybe it should count towards 200% instead of 100% (just like the extra hard time attack challenges in Crash 3 did).

We'll see... I don't actually care about "100%" in games, but in the original 3 games, their percentage was a great indication of actually having conquered the game, because just playing them through without getting any gems wouldn't be particularly satisfying, and missing a great part of the point in the game. I guess it really comes down to which achievements the game actually recognizes internally by the time I get to the end...
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

That's how I tend to view it. I imagine Crash 5 is not happening. Especially now that Toys For Bob went indie and is done with Crash/Spyro. So I view this as an R-Type Final-esque swansong. Just leave a huge ass game for fans to keep coming back and having something mostly meaningful and challenging to do for years to come. A bit much? Sure. But I kind of have an issue with the few people (not you) saying it just outright makes the game bad. There's so much worse today in terms of intentionally wasting the player's time and becoming a job with boring, monotonous bloat. I feel Crash 4 was an earnest attempt at giving players as much fun game as possible even if it goes over the top. Especially for $40.

I guess a silver lining is that you could *theoretically* get most of Crash's items in only a few playthroughs since you're rewarded multiples depending on how well you play. You're also rewarded with cosmetics for like every stage which is a decent per level incentive. It gives rewards you can pick and choose to still have use for playing a completionist style without actually being one.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I have no idea what items/unlockables you are talking about I guess I'm not even far enough for that yet :P

But yeah, no. I like some of these things, and I agree with your perspective, I understand the idea behind it. Other things I think feel obnoxious (there is really no excuse for the inverted stages sorry).
But the game is still great for sure!
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

You can get unique costumes in Crash 4 for Crash and Coco by meeting certain level requirements. It's not every level I don't think, but it's for a good chunk of them. You can see what costume you unlock for 6 gems when you select a level.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Oh I thought those were the cosmetics you were talking about.
Steven

Post by Steven »

I checked out the new Star Wars Battlefront I and II rerelease long enough to be able to say that it should be avoided. It's glitchy, lacks the option to invert Y axis if you play with a controller, won't let you build fleets in Galactic Conquest without a controller (yeah, you are screwed if you play it with or without a controller), and there are a dearth of servers, making it unplayable online if you don't live in the like one part of the world where there are servers.

Refund requested. Avoid!
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Steven wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:24 pm lacks the option to invert Y axis if you play with a controller
Into the trash it goes!
Steven

Post by Steven »

Yep. I already have BFII. Several times, actually, as I have my childhood physical PC copy somewhere, the PSP version (which is actually pretty good considering the hardware!), the PS2 version that I have no idea why I even bought (think I just wanted to check it out or something), and also the regular original Steam version. I just wanted a good version for Steam Deck, as this was supposed to be better for Steam Deck than the original Steam release, which is not especially great on Steam Deck, but nope. Trash time! It's also 62.87 GB for some reason!!! WTF is going on with that?

Apparently the console versions are no better and have exactly the same problems. On Steam 1391 of the 1773 reviews that are up as of this post are negative! That's one of the worst launches I've ever seen.

I'd forgotten how cool BFII is. Steam says I haven't played it since 2018, but checking it against this new rerelease back-to-back reminded me how great the game is. I wouldn't even be able to estimate how many hundreds or possibly thousands of hours I have on my physical PC version.

Edit: refund complete. The joys of PC gaming and being able to actually get refunds on digital broken junk instead of being stuck with it~

As of now, 3311 of the 4135 reviews are negative.

Edit 2: it's now the 9th lowest scored game on Steam. That's quite an achievement, and the state of the product is pretty bad, but it isn't THAT bad! I've played stuff that is way worse than this: both versions of Action 52, Sonic 06, CrazyBus, Desert Bus, etc..
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Silent hill downpour - PS3

This game is not a SH game at all. Its more like a horror GTA sandbox game. Side quests on a map the size of a small town isn't my cup of tea.

Everything is so random and the puzzles are crazy. Like having puzzles where 3 switches do something in one room, then 5 minutes away determines the answer to that room. There are escape ladders you need to climb but you need a hook tool to pull them down. Its possible to take the hook tool into a side quest area which you can only enter once, if you leave it in there, you've lost that hook tool.. So off you go looking for one elsewhere.
The map is not that easy to follow especially if your backtracking, since your using inside of buildings to reach over the blockades that appear.

I prefer the older SH games. At least in those the puzzle solving is confined to 3 floors or a restricted area, they make sense and there isn't 100's of them. I can't count how many quests, collectathons, puzzle boxes and code lockers there are in this game. Once you can't open 2 or 3 of them, you feel like you've not done your job, and you end up passing on a lot of things. And there is a section near the end where it steals all your items you've been saving up for the bosses, alas there are no bosses and they were useless anyway.

What a crazy game. And the weird thing is, I've played this one before as well. I think a part of my life has disappeared and i'm reliving it again.

And even though I have a love hate relationship with this game. Something makes me want to play it again.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Metroid Prime. Probably 3rd time through, maybe 4th. A couple of the bosses are more on the annoying side than the hard side, but it's still an amazing game with fantastic feel and aesthetic.

This era of console games really hits the sweet spot for me in so many ways. Sure I can appreciate the newest AAA graphics fest, and I think it's "impressive," but it doesn't do anything to add to my enjoyment of a game past a certain point
Marc

Post by Marc »

Burnout. And fuck, its much harder than I remember. Or I'm just crap now. What a game though.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Lost to the Elite Four. All that good shit I talk about Pokemon difficulty and I lose at the boss rush.
I'm a scrub.
Don't look at me.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Increasingly desperate for PS5 exclusives (seriously, where are they? This console is fucking pointless!!! I guess it at least would let me watch Star Trek in 4K if I had a compatible display), I checked out the demo for Stellar Blade for 30 minutes, which was long enough to notice the hilarious input lag the game has and turn it off. Was this game made by Shitty Connection? It sure seems like it!

Also got a few deckbuilding things in the Steam deckbuilding sale. First up is the World According to Girl. The "the" in the title is not capitalized for some reason. This game is super confusing! I have no idea what I am doing and there is no tutorial at all. It took only a few minutes of playing before I decided to throw my first run just to see how the game works, although I was moderately successful for a little while before I game overed. I think I have started to figure it out. More time and research required.

Next and last is Chrono Ark. What language should I play this in? It's Korean and I don't know that language. Japanese is much more closely related to Korean than Korean is to English, but I decided to play in English for now... which is the opposite of Stellar Blade, also Korean, in which case I opted for Japanese, mostly because it was the default and I was too lazy to change it. My memory is quite poor, but I am pretty sure that English was the default for Chrono Ark and I was too lazy to change it here too.

Anyway, I started playing Chrono Ark yesterday at about noon or so and then suddenly realized it was dark; I spent 9 hours straight playing it without realizing it. Good job, dev team. There are a lot of mechanics here, but it's mostly pretty clear, although I think some characters are definitely better than others, but even then most things seem to work well with each other. A lot of people seemed to HATE Shin Megami Tensei IV's first person view + relatively static 2D sprites, but I always really liked it, and it looks good here too. Will continue with this game for sure. Good game, so buy it if you like this type of thing.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Been playing through GameCenter CX: Arino no Chousenjou 1 + 2 Replay. I had the first game (JP version) on DS back in the day and liked it, so I thought I'd get the remaster for the second game and to be able to play the games using a proper controller.

Even though it's all in Japanese, you can get by with just skipping all the dialogue (what little overall story is there is inconsequential), and using Google Translate or the like on your phone to translate the challenge requirements. The only exception are the more text-heavy games, like the Gaudia Quest JRPG. That was kind of boring, took like 2-3 hours of grinding and following a walkthrough strictly to the letter. But other than that, the games are fun. They have the immediacy and occasional quirkiness of 8-bit games while still having some qualify of life features of today. Retro games viewed through rose-tinted glasses, one might say.

But I was surprised to find that this collection actually has some additional games thrown in, AND you can unlock special online score attack versions of some games, which are sometimes slightly altered from their appearance in the original titles, and compare your results with other players directly. That's just awesome. It's like having online leaderboards for Soldier Blade or Recca or Blade Buster.

As a long-time fan of the show, it's also cool to see the recording room recreated in 3D in the game's title screen, and the camera shows different parts of it if you just leave it there for a while. You can even hide the logo to properly see the whole thing. And as an added Cool Thing, the notes on the whiteboard change, showing hints for various games.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Lander

Watch for Rolling Rocks in 0.5x A-Presses

Post by Lander »

Being the sucker that I am for surprise sequels to decade-old franchises, Dragon's Dogma 2 has taken over my life for the past week.
The PC port isn't good.
Performance is poor, ranging between 20-80FPS on a strong machine depending on where you are in the game world.

On its own, this would be forgivable - it's still quite playable for the most part, and stretching in-house tech to breaking point is something of a series tradition - but unfortunately the game is also quite crash-prone, and inconsistently so. Sometimes hours will pass without issue, and other times it'll hit you back-to-back-to-back. Autosaves are frequent enough to prevent heavy progress loss, but it's still a huge pain to reboot, reload, and wait for the REFramework mod to reinitialize so you can play with sane FOV and no obnoxious vignette effect.

Surprising, given RE Engine's strong track record, but it is what it is; fixes have been promised, so it's probably better to wait a few weeks if the game is on your radar.
The game itself, however, is. Great even, if you appreciate the series' rough diamond JWRPG styling; in the moment to moment, it's every bit a refinement of the original formula: action-packed adventure through a dense, meticulously-routed DnD world, with Capcom-signature tight combat, plenty of good bosses, and secrets tucked away in every naturalistic nook and cranny.

Per tradition, story and characters aren't much to shout about; acting and characterization is improved, which makes for a likeable cast, but there's less of the uncanny party hat goofiness that gave the original such distinct personality. As implied in a pre-launch interview, focus is more on the journey than it is on the framing, with much of the fun emerging through encounters in the world.

Indeed, DD2 is a game of moments. Be it riding a griffin all the way to its nest unbidden for excellent reward, having a boss monster blindside your pleasant gondola ride, or hurling your first asshole NPC into the sea because who's gonna argue? there are plenty of memorable things to experience.

Combat is superb; noticeably heavier than the original, putting it somewhere closer to Monster Hunter than Devil May Cry, but with a recognizable suite of movesets that feel distinct and refined. Precise climbing is a little harder now, but in trade you can run around on top of monsters and use your normal grounded moveset given a decent foothold, which is very nice.

The vocation changes are broadly good - Warrior no longer gets shafted for skill slots, and bow-only Archer is a whirlwind of dropkicks and trick shots. The new vocations are cool too, ranging from quirky V-style gimmick play, through wild It's Mahvel Baybee combo mad, all the way to DMC5 Dante Irregular Full Custom. It doesn't feel balanced, but it certainly feels fun.
That said, it also feels a little safe; for what refinements and additions we did get, many of the really cool things they added in Dragon's Dogma Online - such as Thief being able to grapple-zip up to a cyclops' head and helm splitter back down - are still absent.

I'd say my first 40-some hours with the game were adventuring bliss; move aside Elder Scrolls, out of the way Elden Ring, this is how you integrate tight level design and action principles with an 'open world' formula. Heavily restricted fast travel coupled with a world that's worth brawling through is a winner.

But alas, the honeymoon period doesn't last forever. Having seen the full scope, it's a great game, preferable to most in the genre by my measure, but it's not god's gift to open world action RPGs. It doesn't necessarily even fully eclipse the original; the overworld dungeons are plentiful and have some fun tricks in them, but are mostly caves. Towns are more numerous, but there's no memorable dedicated labyrinths like Bluemoon Tower or The Catacombs, no incidental NPC strongholds like the bandit forts, and nothing comparable to Bitterblack Isle.

An unfortunate omission, though one I was too preoccupied to notice until hour 60 or so. Indeed, it's the things that come in the late game that are most interesting. What sort of things?
To answer that, we need to talk about parallel universes.
To recap, the original Dragon's Dogma had a pretty wild post-game: After you beat the Dragon, Gran Soren - the hub town - collapses into the ground, commencing the monsterpocalypse and revealing a chasm known as The Everfall; A series of high-level chambered dungeons, the bottom of which magically portals back to the sky above town, forming an infinite loop.

This is on account of a unique cosmology. The portal is not to the sky above town, but instead to that of another world:

So it's sort of like a medieval version of the TV show Sliders :)

This ultimately leads to the true ending, and revelation that all the world's a stage - the Arisen / Dragon cycle exists to select a new Seneschal - nee god - to watch over and sustain the multiverse. Though being god isn't a great gig - you have no agency, effectively acting as a cosmic battery until the cycle either repeats anew, or is forcefully restarted by your hand to commence New Game+.

That's some Stephen King shit right there, awesome. And it was going to be even more wild - the implementation we got was drastically cut down by budget constraints, omitting the moon and any kind of 'shared hub' multiplayer that might be implied by the annotations.

Dragon's Dogma 2... Does not do this. Contrary to the spoiler tag, it has no parallel universes to speak of, and only briefly touches on the idea of a Seneschal.
The DD2 Endgame
It does have a metatextual endgame, which starts strong; the player can discover a way to 'break out' of the credits and loop back to the final boss, and from there do a plot-related action to reveal the lovecraftian horror behind it all and commence a World of Ruin style endgame, where resource economy and boss density explode, granting easy access to fast travel and top-tier gear.

The game is so confident in this, that it even hits you with a late title drop - some 50 hours in - changing the title screen to read "Dragon's Dogma 2" instead of the numeral-implied "Dragon's Dogma".
Bloody hell, the whole PR cycle has been about how this is Itsuno's vision fulfilled! And there was that one interview that asked about the moon and got a knowing wink answer! It's finally happening!

So you set off, battling through now-dry sea trenches to evacuate the population centers to a newly unearthed ruin of Gran Soren(!) - autosaves are disabled, death without a 1UP hands you a cool Bad Ending #2, and passing time via inn rests causes major quest hubs (and juicy sounding endgame quest entries) to be wiped off the map. Holy shit! Stakes!

Safe to say, I was too busy being blown away to actually save said juicy quests from doom, and ended up with a half-full hub. Fair enough, I took what I assumed to be Bad Ending #3, and resolved to NG+ immediately, rush down the main quest, and see what must be the third and final layer to the game.

Which is where things go off the rails slightly. Hours 60 through 80 were still fun, but less a joy than the first playthrough - the main quests are all quite fluffy, and the Sphinx - which I'd missed on the first run - is pure suffering. She's a radical monster design, but her riddles are full of perma-fail traps, weird abuses of the system design that could have been so much cooler with a bit more thought, and a disappointing ultimate reward. The sort of shit you dedicate a whole playthrough to from the start, and obsessively follow a guide for.

Anyway, back to endgame with foreknowledge and top-notch gear, I clear all of the evacuations and world defense stuff with top marks, and... The aforementioned juicy quest is nowhere to be found. Turns out that if you allow a certain overworld boss to die of its own accord (which you may, on account of the climbing system being fucked for that specific fight for some reason) then that quest simply never happens.

And it turns out to be more fluff anyway - despite being given by the one character who appears to understand the world's cosmology, drops mega-loaded jargon about endgame events, and is actively working to avert the calamity... It's nothing. A cutscene and some spectacle that closes the same kind of sky-hole you've been dealing with the whole time, and has no further impact.

Whatever then, head back to the now-full hub to commence the ending cutscene and... It's Bad Ending #3 again. No true final boss fight with the lovecraft monster, no breaking the unmoored world out of the cosmic recycle bin and opening the everfall to anchor it to a post-game multiplayer moon superdungeon, fit to justify all of that sweet grindable gear, NG+ specific vocation/ability buffs, and crazy gameplay depth enabled by the final vocation, bugger sodding all.

And that appears to be it, given a bit of googling around. You and your pawn sacrifice yourselves to reboot the world without the Arisen / Dragon cycle, the false-benevolent god - who I assume was the lovecraft the whole time - makes a woe-is-me death speech that sounds suspiciously overwrought (to the point where it could be taken as "okay have your peaceful fake world, I'll watch silently this time"), and that's that.

God damn it, this is what happens when you get excited. 24 extra hours of playtime for little payoff, all down to a melange of set expectations and overstated NPC / quest importance.

Ah well, it's bloody disappointing that the game doesn't hold up to the original's strong metatextual conceit, but that's not enough to kill it overall.
In the end, Dragon's Dogma 2 is a great game, but with some notable flaws whose severity will vary based on your expectations.

It's best thought of as a reimagining of the original release, before the Dark Arisen expansion and multiplayer spinoff, placing it comfortably in-line with the Resident Evil remakes' grounded redux of the original material.
It's not the DD grognard's wet dream that some of us were hoping for, but is a lot of fun, and lays strong foundation for a prospective expansion.
Last edited by Lander on Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Thanks for the write up on Dragon's Dogma 2, Lander.

Being the noob and impatient guy that I am, I could not really get in the mood of DD Dark Arisen on the Nintendo Switch. What turned me off what the fact that you had to fight with "companions" over which you did not have total control.

In DD2, do you fight alone or do you have to handle the companions again ?
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Lander

Post by Lander »

Anytime :)

2 is more or less the same for companions; you have your customizable 'main pawn' and up to two extras rented from other players.

AI seems a bit smarter overall, though they'll still cliff themselves on occasion, or do dumb stuff like picking up KOed party members and ferrying them over for a revive instead of continuing to fight.

If solo play is more your bag, neither game will stop you from throwing them all into the sea and continuing on alone. Stamina management, spacing, and knockdown resist gear become really important, since enemies will happily wombo you to death without meat shields and pick-me-ups, but there are ways and means.

In DD1, you can switch to the Assassin vocation as soon as you reach Gran Soren - which has the best moveset in the game, plus no-stamina-cost invincible dodge roll - and max it out to get the Autonomy augment, which gives you huge stat bonuses when venturing out alone. Couple that with various abusables like early elemental weapons, curative spam, Periapt buffs, and Blast Arrows, and you can tilt the systems in your favour pretty quickly.

2 drops most of that in favour of a more traditional balance, but adds the Mystick Spearhand vocation - accessible from an early quest in the town of Melve - which to quote its maister, is a hybrid fighting style designed specifically to kill dragons.
And it's exactly that - a ridiculously good and flashy solo-viable superhero class sporting a Dead Space stasis projectile, refreshable invincibility bubble, and potent stamina drain that make it easy to control the battlefield and stay on your feet.
Loads of fun, and the gear is all very Batman, which makes for some fun goofing around in the city areas.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Man. Pokemon Sword sucks. I'm playing through some I either didn't touch or haven't played more than once and this was the one Switch entry I thought I'd be able to stomach. Pass.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

I like Pokemon Sword and Shield.

Mrs. To Far Away Times and I played it not too long after our honeymoon in the U.K., so we were primed to enjoy the environments in the game. One of my favorites in the series.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

I'd enjoy any game if I played it right after a honeymoon. :P

Currently playing Gigantic Army. I like real robots. I like run and guns. Game is good! It's very sparse on both options and content, but still fun. I remember not enjoying this the first time I played it, because I was trying to use a twin-stick control setup. Don't. I think the game is more fun when played like Valken or another single-stick/pad run and gun. You can fix your aim by holding down the fire button, which is all you really need. Tap shots allow you to buffer the pilebunker in case enemies come too close, and it has surprisingly long range. I found this review that sums the game up well:
lunch96

reviewed Gigantic Army

this is the true mecha experience, the hidden VOTOMS game adaptation that you need to have solid steel nuts like Chirico Cuvie to master. you play as a totally nameless soldier piloting a cruddy grunt mech that only gets outclassed as the story progresses, but it just means you can flex even harder on those gundam-piloting teenagers with your pile bunker and fighting spirit. this game is old-school tough as nails, awesome and has a sick story twist towards the end. too many games about mecha suck but this one will put some damn HAIR ON YOUR CHEST
The low budget of the project is evident throughout. The audio has a really annoying tendency to crackle, garble or glitch when overlapping sound effects occur. Happens frequently in a game where shit is always exploding. I suppose it's part of the charm, however. There are six stages. Char makes an appearance, as per mecha game law. Overall, had a fun time with this game and I'm definitely interested in playing Mechblaze too.
cfx

Post by cfx »

On PC? I ask because I have the original doujin disc version and as I haven't played in a long time maybe I've just forgotten, but I don't remember having any kind of sound issues.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

cfx wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:08 am On PC? I ask because I have the original doujin disc version and as I haven't played in a long time maybe I've just forgotten, but I don't remember having any kind of sound issues.
Switch version.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Playing Assault Suit Leynos 2. I got creamed but this game is cool as hell.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

I've got Valken downloaded on my switch and waiting for me. I really wish I could play Gungriffon, Heavy Gear 2 and Mechwarrior 2 easily.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Grabbed a bunch of Saturn originals. Of what I played, my least favorite has been Burning Rangers so far which makes me sad. I was really into the visuals and look of the player characters.
REALLY enjoying Cotton Boomerang though. This game is smooth as Hell and kinda funny. Most the great STG's on this I have elsewhere though. Really glad I have an M30 to play these games properly.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

XoPachi wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:53 pmREALLY enjoying Cotton Boomerang though.
joooiiinnn uuussssss....
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Sega Rally '95 is fucking GREAT.
BulletMagnet wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:09 am joooiiinnn uuussssss....
I'm actually only just getting a chance to try these properly. The only one I played was on the Neo Geo Pocket and I really did not care for it, but that's the Pocket library in general for me outside of the one Sonic game. I usually don't do cute em ups or waifu STG's (which I hesitate to really call this), but this is a great middle ground of everything aesthetically. Catching enemies looks so funny.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Played the first stage of the Bela Lugosi game, Carpathian Night, which piqued my interest mainly because it's a clear pastiche of Castlevania without the usual winking, nudging, in-jokey tone that most modern retro games adopt. It plays its daft drama completely straight as far as I can tell, which is a refreshing change for me at least. Can't quite articulate why - something about the scale of everything, but also Irina's weighty feel, the unadorned, precise combat mechanics, the enemy placements and projectiles you negotiate - but it brings to mind the GameBoy CVs more than anything else. I'm on board with everything this game seems to aspire to, and can't wait to get back into it tomorrow!

Anyone else had a go?
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

The lengthy as shit demo of Yellow Taxi Goes Vroom left a very good impression. I'm glad colorful, GOOD 3D platformers are slowly starting to come back.
On that topic, I also got Rodea Sky Soldier (Wii) and when this game's ideas work, it's a lot of fun. A rare instance of someone making action in the sky very satisfying for me. In a game that isn't about aircraft combat anyway. I just don't like these character designs. Rodea himself isn't obnoxious at least. I feel like I needed this game. I don't know how to describe it succinctly, but it's that kind of youthful joy I feel when playing Sonic Adventure. Just a proper Japanese mascot adventure.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries

Gave it a quick spin on console launch a couple of years back, as it was on Gamepass, but found it pretty unplayable - impossible to get a sensible control layout and missions were largely teeny tanks which inexplicably trashed your mech rapidly.

Saw an announcement for a Clans standalone expansion and decided to give it another go.... after a quick Google. Turns out the control issues I had were down to one toggle in the options (no tooltip for it, great) called throttle delay. Turning it off allows you to maintain speed, like classic Mechwarrior of yore on PC - this instantly improves the game because moving applies an aim modifier to the AI, so those tanks don't chew you up instantly. It also makes moving and aiming intuitive, rather than trying to be a hobbled FPS. Also once you get to field more than just your mech you not only have extra firepower from the AI teammates, but you give the enemy something else to shoot at. The opening few missions where you're alone are tougher than what you'll face for a good while.

I was a bit annoyed, couldn't be arsed waiting for a 50 GB update to download so played happily from disc in offline mode until I popped an achievement and the game crashed because it couldn't sync it up - seems a carry over from Steam, where some users managed to start the game but not accept the EULA, and no EULA = crash on some achievements. Still they fixed it with the update.... and they decided to rip out the incredibly useful button to centre the torso to the direction you're looking, and replace it with melee button. Which might be truer to Battletech but hasn't been in a Mechwarrior game up to now (well not directly, previously you applied melee-like damage by running into another mech), so whyyyyyy.

Anyway huge nostalgia from the moment the mech startup sequence kicks in, right to scraping through a mission and barely able to afford repairs. Though a drawback is I would have preferred non-story missions (mandatory to get cash, mechs and level up to unlock story missions) more accurately reflect in-universe events. A news ticker keeps you informed of events while you're generally just doing one of a handful of objective types over and over, on randomly generated maps - but is kept interesting by the random mechs you face and some multi-mission contracts. There are some tougher missions with more of a storyline to them, but they're often punishingly difficult compared to what's around them - so are usually more of a "come back later" than use them for more interesting progression, which is a shame. Still the gameplay loop is satisfying as long as you move around the galaxy a bit and stretch yourself - otherwise you'd be slowly gaining money fighting the same set of mechs, with the same set of mechs. Nothing like grinding levels but not having heavy enough mechs to handle later missions!

The combat is satisfying, and faithful to the games which came before. I think it could have done with a more interesting story than "hunt down the group that killed your father" - which is pretty much the plot of the ye olde SNES Mechwarrior game! Stupidly addictive gameplay loop though, a worthy (albeit very late) successor to the classic PC games.