Question Concerning MAME and Xbox360 Controllers

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
neist

Question Concerning MAME and Xbox360 Controllers

Post by neist »

This may be a fairly trivial question, but I'm not really a MAME person, so I wouldn't know. I tried doing a quick search, but I couldn't really find any information on it.

All right.. heres the question. I've been recently looking into the Street Fighter IV Tournament Fighting stick. It looks really decent and I'm fairly interested in throwing some money into a decent stick. I'm more than likely going to play a bit of Street Fighter, so the compatibility with the 360 is definitely a plus.

Now, popped over to Gamestop's page for the stick, I read this:
Very limited quantities available. Compatible with most fighting games including PC games that support Xbox 360 gamepad controllers.
It never even occured to me that you can use 360 sticks on pc games. That being said, outside of PC shooters that specifically support joysticks, can MAME recognize a Xbox 360 controller? I'm seriously considering investing in one of these sticks if they do.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

I could only get my X360 controller to work with an older version of MAME, maybe 0.122? Also, I have to force a -joystick command line parameter each time or the controller is not recognized (even though it should be on by default). But that is good enough since there are only 4 or 5 games I play anyway.
harlequ1n

Post by harlequ1n »

I have the Hori Arcade Fighting Stick EX and I'm on a mac and haven't been able to make it work, I'm trying to set it up for MAME. Can anyone help me?
Eppur si muove...
Ozymandiaz1260

Post by Ozymandiaz1260 »

I have the same stick that harlequ1n has and couldn't get it to work with mame. I then downloaded the frontend GameEx and it works just fine through that.
captpain

Post by captpain »

harlequ1n wrote:I have the Hori Arcade Fighting Stick EX and I'm on a mac and haven't been able to make it work, I'm trying to set it up for MAME. Can anyone help me?
Just use Joy2Key or XPadder.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

or install the windows drivers for the 360 controllers.....works fine without having to use jtk or xpadder
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

the hori ex2 stick is a temperamental PITA. sometimes it works on standard 360 controller drivers, sometimes it works with modified drivers, sometimes it won't work with either. i never could get the thing working properly, but no big deal as i've got another stick for pc stuff.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

I've never had any problems with the standard 360 controller drivers. YMMV.