Does anyone have Windows XP Home with Service Pack 2?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
DirtyMonk

Does anyone have Windows XP Home with Service Pack 2?

Post by DirtyMonk »

While trying to update my Windows XP to Service Pack 2, I messed up some system32 files, and now I keep getting an endless cycle of blue screens of death whenever I start up.

After doing some research, I found out that it has to do with two files in the system32 folder of Windows:

1. Winlogon.exe
2. Csrss.exe

All I need to do is replace those files with the same ones from another computer running Windows XP Home with Service Pack 2 installed. And it must be from XP Home with SP2. I've tried using files from other XP versions, but it seems like it'll only accept Home with SP2. It's like finding the right blood donor.

So this is why I need your help. My computer needs a small transfusion. Does anyone here have Windows XP Home with SP2? All you need to do is go into your system32 folder in Windows, copy and paste those three files listed earlier and email them or provide me a way to download them! So can anybody offer a hand or maybe even a better solution to get my computer to work again? Thanks!
worstplayer

Post by worstplayer »

I'm afraid it's reinstall time.
Even if it was just those two files (i doubt that), those files were surely changed by later updates, so you're looking for someone with Windows XP home SP2 and no other patches. Good luck with that.
"A game isn't bad because you resent it. A game is bad because it's shitty."
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Reinstall and get to XP Service Pack 3 allready, it's been out for months.
antron

Post by antron »

I have them. pm me your email
undamned

Post by undamned »

Udderdude wrote:Reinstall and get to XP Service Pack 3 allready, it's been out for months.
Latest != Greatest.

I had a horrible time playing around w/ a video processing PC project and one of the many hic-ups was XP Pro SP3 conflicts w/ some video drivers. In my case I was unable to rotate my desktop. Did some googling and found out this was a common issue :roll:
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

i use sp2.....never had any problems with it....dont see any need to upgrade...i have automatic updates turned off due to 'legal' issues...... :wink:
DirtyMonk

Post by DirtyMonk »

IT WORKED!!! :D THANK YOU ANTRON!!

It managed to boot up and everything's pretty much back to normal and it's also been updated to SP2 (before, it was the original version). What I did was boot up the computer through CD-ROM using Ubuntu (which I downloaded and burned to a disc), ran the OS from the CD (you don't need to install it, Ubuntu runs straight from the CD), which allowed me to navigate around my computer again, and then I patched the files from there. Almost made me want to convert to Linux :D.

I've already reinstalled Win XP twice (the first was after reformatting my computer), and I was so not ready to do it for a third time (and this was after spending hours each time I reinstalled to configure XP and installing software while removing the crap software bundled with my computer).

Every time I tried to update to get Service Pack 2 it would fuck up my computer. The first time I tried it, I downloaded Service Pack 2 from this link from Microsoft.. The installation botched in the middle of the process, telling me it failed and there was some error before shutting off. I guess I must have did it wrong, since my computer wouldn't start up anymore. So I reinstalled XP.

Since I realized that I would need SP2 if I were to install the latest Norton AntiVirus, I tried again, this time getting it done through Microsoft Update. Everything went by smoothly until I was asked to restart my computer. Once I did that, my computer would keep on restarting over and over again, failing to boot. It would display the BSOD: "Stop: c000021a (Fatal System Error), etc."

Just then, after doing some research, it came down to four system32 files: ntdll.dll, Msgina.dll, Winlogon.exe, Csrss.exe. After patching the .exe files with files from a matching XP OS, did it miraculously work again. It had to be an exact match too, hence the blood donor analogy. The .dll files can be downloaded online.

So I'm glad everything works fine now. There is still a minor problem whenever I start up. I keep getting this error message:

RUNDLL
"An exception occurred while trying to run "SHell32.dll,Control_RunDLL wscui.cpl""

This has something to do with the Windows Security Alert, since I can't access it anymore. Whenever I try to run it, this message pops up:

An exception occurred while trying to run "C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL
"C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscui.cpl",Security Center"

Although, I can still access my Control Panel, and everything else seems to work fine, so it's a very minor issue compared to what I've been through earlier.

It seems like this problem has to do with two files:

1. shell32.dll
2. wscui.cpl

Could this problem be fixed using the same method I tried before? I don't feel like messing around with my system32 files anymore, but if a simple patch could make it work again, then I'm willing to try to fix this. Thank you so much for the help!
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

In case it happens again, why don't you slipstream SP2 (or SP3) into your XP installation disc? I've done it along with all my system drivers.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

pm'd :wink:
DirtyMonk

Post by DirtyMonk »

iatneH wrote:In case it happens again, why don't you slipstream SP2 (or SP3) into your XP installation disc? I've done it along with all my system drivers.
Good idea, I'll have to give that a shot soon.