Xeno Fighters R (2019 GM Studio Port)

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
EddyMRA

Re: Xeno Fighters R (v0.10 Beta)

Post by EddyMRA »

I should have done this from the beginning. Miyamoto's power up system is simplified. He needs just four powerups to reach full power. Any powerup powers up both his vulcan and missile weapon at the same time.

The next thing to do: Shorten EX-2 (Forest of Naju). The boss fight against Blue Optomon is already long and grueling. It would be mind-numbing to have to play through a 2 minute and 45 second stage to get to him.
The age of Alluro and JudgeSpear is over.
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

I don't follow why that was needed; I'll at least trust the VP1 ships won't be getting the same treatment...

(Out of curiosity, are any Battle Bakraid planes planned for inclusion? Hopefully more obscure than the Flame Viper...)
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

Skyknight wrote:I don't follow why that was needed; I'll at least trust the VP1 ships won't be getting the same treatment...

(Out of curiosity, are any Battle Bakraid planes planned for inclusion? Hopefully more obscure than the Flame Viper...)
It is only Miyamoto that got that change. What made you come to the conclusion that the VP1 ships would be getting the same treatment? The VP1 ships' vulcans are strong enough to use on their own. Miyamoto's isn't.

The Golden Bat is still planned to be included as an unlockable after beating the game once in any difficulty.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Alluro wrote: The Golden Bat is still planned to be included as an unlockable after beating the game once in any difficulty.
Just to clarify Alluro, when you say "Golden Bat" are you strictly talking about Battle Garegga's Type START variant called Golden Bat, or just the ship itself (Wild Snail) in general?
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

Just that Miyamoto's power-up scheme was the same as the VP1 vessels'. I thought you were finding something amiss with that, not the power levels.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

Skyknight wrote:Just that Miyamoto's power-up scheme was the same as the VP1 vessels'. I thought you were finding something amiss with that, not the power levels.
If I intended to change the VP1 ship's power up schemes, I would have explicitly mentioned it here. As I mentioned before, the VP1 ships' vulcans are powerful enough to be used on their own. Miyamoto's is not.
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

Miyamoto is who I play with all the time. I hope he doesn't get changed too much and becomes unplayable. or am I the only person who plays as Miyamoto?
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

lilmanjs wrote:Miyamoto is who I play with all the time. I hope he doesn't get changed too much and becomes unplayable. or am I the only person who plays as Miyamoto?
Miyamoto will just require 4 powerups instead of 8 to fully power up. Nothing else about him will change. If anything, he'll become easier to play as.

I also play as Miyamoto when I want to lay waste to everything.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Basically it's Raiden Fighters standard powerup (Aegis IV etc) instead of Raiden Fighters cameo ship (Raiden MK-II) powerup.

Makes perfect sense to me guys. Have a go at Miyamoto in Stage 1 levelling up with only laser shot, then retry with only missile shot, and I think it'll show quite clearly why Alluro has changed it. You can't even compare to Garegga's power balancing between main shot and options since any ship in Garegga has enough firepower by itself to handle anything, which is the case for Miyamoto in Garegga but not balanced as such here (again, cause its Raiden Fighters system).

I think the real concern being voiced here is whether this the beginning of some unnecessary roster-wide overhaul of balancing (answer: no), and whether this may make Miyamoto overpowered/underpowered/offbalance as a result (answer: still no). So from the guy that complains the most about these sort of things: stop worrying, have a cold drink, and submit some high scores. :D
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

The new Miyamoto in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4Vcf71F2qU
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

Alluro wrote:The new Miyamoto in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4Vcf71F2qU
new music for stage 5-A? also, nice to see it doesn't take forever to get Miyamoto to power up fully.
FoxReeveheart

Post by FoxReeveheart »

Two things.

So i decide a playthrough on normal, i get to BRES colony...

Go through a few different ships trying, don't even make it to the actual colony. Pick Miyamoto, go through the entire level without losing a life, have around 7-8 bombs, grabbed like 2 or 3 1-ups, then blasted through blackheart with no problem.

Could someone tell me what this guy's weakness is compared to every other fighter? Now others seem to pale in comparison when i play them. Poor Zapdos doesn't have speed or coverage, just power.

Secondly, what is this golden bat and where do I get one? =)
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

FoxReeveheart wrote: Go through a few different ships trying, don't even make it to the actual colony. Pick Miyamoto, go through the entire level without losing a life, have around 7-8 bombs, grabbed like 2 or 3 1-ups, then blasted through blackheart with no problem.

Could someone tell me what this guy's weakness is compared to every other fighter? Now others seem to pale in comparison when i play them. Poor Zapdos doesn't have speed or coverage, just power.

Secondly, what is this golden bat and where do I get one? =)
Miyamoto is quite overpowered in v0.10. For v0.11, his Missile weapon has been reduced in firepower. To make up for his new lower firepower, he needs only 4 powerups to reach full power.

Golden Bat is a plane in Battle Garegga. It has not been added yet.
Avalon

Post by Avalon »

BPzeBanshee wrote:There seems to be a lot of new users who haven't posted much before querying the lack of updates in this thread in a very simple and crude manner recently.

There also seems to be people replying to these queries with the same simple and crude manner.

This happened two post ago as well.

Therefore, one can conlude that nothing is going to happen anytime soon, and nothing will come out of posting simple and crude questions as a new person.

[/CaptainObvious]

Jokes aside, one can check Alluro's YouTube channel at http://www.youtube.com/JudgeSpear2 to see if there's anything new there. Looking at the current projects (along with real life stuff that he mentions) there and putting two and two together for yourself can give you a more thorough answer than asking here. Hope that helps.
...wat?

No seriously, wat???

First of all, I don't like to post much on a forum because (surprise!) I am impatient... Not much else to say about that...

Second: My guess is, the newbie posts asking about updates only started after Alluro posted a changelog. Strangely enough, that seemed to indicate the completion of new content, so couldn't it be released? I didn't find a download link for the reported new content, so I asked about it.

Third: Touhou IS cool and you're a douche if you don't think so. trolololol.

-----
Ahem... On a more recent and relevant development: I also do hope you nerfed Miyamoto quite a bit... He does feel a lot like the Ultima-X from the previous game (without as much screen noise)
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Way to bring up a done-and-dusted topic. :roll:

By your logic I should be having a crapload of Touhou Is Cool TROLOLOL fans asking me "no updates why?" and "add a Touhou ship cause then I can play a game besides my precious" every time I add a list of updates to GMOSSE because I've posted a list of changes I've done, therefore oh I must've uploaded it somewhere, which is false. Like any other piece of software, it'll be ready when it's ready, and IMO the YouTube channel is actually really good for finding out the info because Alluro uploads a video of the game with download links whenever there is actually anything to download. ;)

Alluro's posted changelogs many times throughout this thread (which you haven't noticed, and at the risk of sounding elitist I have since the fifth page when I came to this forum) and it HAS been only within the last two months that said people have been ignoring the first page, ignoring the YouTube channel which Alluro has also mentioned (and you missed within my own post that you quoted) and then wondering why people are throwing bricks instead of pillows in reply [see the "kill yourself" posts]. Asking about it is fair but refusing the learn from previous mistakes is going to get "douche" replies and in the case of Shmups Chat further insult to injury.
Touhou IS cool and you're a douche if you don't think so. trolololol.
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

Whether or not Touhou classifies as "cool" has no bearing on whether someone from it should be included. It's a matter of tone and aesthetics. "Coolness" is *not* XFR's raison d'etre. It's SPECIFICALLY a tribute to the Seibu/Toaplan school of shmups, not the Cave/Shanghai school (well, Cave after Dodonpachi...Which school the very first Donpachi belongs to could be a matter of debate.). Including a Touhou character would make no more sense than including a fighter from Mushihime-sama or Ketsui...or Gondomania, for that matter (no, it's not a danmaku game--1989, after all--but I think that game's style is also sharply distinct from Raiden Fighters, Strikers, Bakraid, etc.).

Keep in mind, Avalon, that putting things in just because they're "cool" quickly results in an amorphous blob. Not exactly what Alluro has in mind...Just what aesthetic/structure did you think he was aiming at with the Xeno Fighters project (i.e. including EX and earlier)?

(Never mind that coolness has NO real substance in the first place. Doom, Quake, etc. certainly get enough accolades of "cool", but I can't figure out their appeal at all...)

And finally, why would a changelog auto-imply that he'd publicly release with every little adjustment/tweak/etc.? I'd not be surprised if he's waiting until he's added and completed a sufficiently large element to the game (i.e. st. 4-A, whose boss isn't complete yet; I'm not convinced just an EX stage is sufficient for new release).
Avalon

Post by Avalon »

Mmmh, you are right about stage 4-A being completed first - After all, how would you get into EX-2 without it?
(oh and am I reading right, that we're getting to EX-2 from 4-A? I thought the EX stages were accessible from the B-stages only...)

I wasn't really trying to prolong the Touhou topic - I was just being stupid about it on purpose. If you like/don't like such and such a game it doesn't mean anyone who disagrees with you should call you names (unless of course it's all in jest - i.e. "trolololol"). I suppose I didn't understand the amount of emphasis placed on it being a tribute to the Seibu games - the roster seemed to suggest they were from an amalgam of shooters.

Hmm, I guess it turns out I don't know as much about the genre as I thought I did...

...Anyway, as for the changelog, I guess it was because it looked like a COMPLETE changelog. I have seen what appear to be parts of one here and there in posts, but not all of it at one time. As for releasing an 'unfinished' build, I thought it WAS finished (because of the changelog)

Okay then, I will shut up and be patient. Not easy for me to do but...
FoxReeveheart

Post by FoxReeveheart »

Nobody says anything for six days?!

BLASPHEMY!

SHAMEFUL DISPLAY!

COMMIT SUDOKU!

anyways i'm looking forwards to future updates =D

Though I have a question for you devs, you say you have unlockable ships. OK then, does that mean in the OFFICIAL FINALLY FINISHED release of the game you will only have a few ships to start with?

I actually like this idea ^_^ have the first 4 ships available and the rest are all unlockable :O like that golden bat from beating the game on any difficulty. It helps replay value by a ton and people love unlockables!
nZero

Post by nZero »

FoxReeveheart wrote:OK then, does that mean in the OFFICIAL FINALLY FINISHED release of the game you will only have a few ships to start with?
Last I heard, that's the plan.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

If the original Xeno Fighters is anything to go by you will at least have the Amada Vipros, Xelcor, Zaiva and Phyxius as selectable ships. There were some considerations for other unique ships to be added to the initial roster but so far nothing serious has come out of it. For example, Swordfish, the ship I added in GMOSSE, was originally designed by Mushroom Kingdom Fusion forum members to eventually get into Xeno Fighters if Alluro approved and all the details were ironed out.

Alluro has already said that ships will be unlockable individually so I'm guessing the experience points to unlock phases factor that XFEX had won't be existant at all in this case, but instead would be more like Achievements on XBLA games or stuff like that.
AuraDRGN

Post by AuraDRGN »

BEST (Free)SHMUP on PC!!
Tysavarin wrote:When playing other flight combat games, I think, "I COME FROM THE LAND OF ACE COMBAT, NOOOOBS!!!"
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Hey Alluro, I noticed that GmBinFile.dll apparently got updated. The YYG Forum page on it isn't as plain obvious as I would like but the file uploaded at host-a.net is listed as being uploaded last month and definitely different in filesize than the other versions I have so it must be new.

If anyone's still having issues with the Error Defining an External Function or something similar when the game window appears, download the May upload of it here. It worked for me on my new computer which worked with previous releases of XF-R that I have archived until v0.10.
tiaoferreira

Post by tiaoferreira »

ALLURO, so what the most actual or final version of your game? My version has not "THE ICELAND" stage, (or I can get no advance to it!)

Can you post the last version for download?
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

You'll probably have to wait until the Orion Arrow is finished.
tiaoferreira

Post by tiaoferreira »

I believe this is the BEST indie game ever made, really deserves to go to the arcade.

I wonder to see the marquee and cabinet, hehehe! And the posters on the door of the arcade!
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

tiaoferreira wrote:ALLURO, so what the most actual or final version of your game? My version has not "THE ICELAND" stage, (or I can get no advance to it!)

Can you post the last version for download?
The latest version is v0.10, which he has linked on the first page.

Nice idea for an arcade setup though. Emphatic posted a picture some pages back of it running on his arcade monitor. I tried doing this with my graphic card's rotation settings on my newish computer I got last weekend but the framerate started going skippy (like MAME games at 9/10 frameskip).
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

tiaoferreira wrote:I believe this is the BEST indie game ever made, really deserves to go to the arcade.
Yes, a game with nothing but ripped sprites and music would be perfect in the arcade, right next to SF II Rainbow Edition and that shmup with Starcraft sprites ..
tiaoferreira

Post by tiaoferreira »

The game is very good, that's what matters. Renowned manufacturers are pushing tons of remakes to the public, some with absolutely nothing new, only the logo of the X-Box or Wii.

The ALLURO's game blend all the elements of good games established, is like a MUGEN for shmups.

Both noteworthy that the topic exceeds thousands of posts and visits.

Absolute success.

Please, forgive my bad english.
tiaoferreira

Post by tiaoferreira »

In 2011, I played the best ever made on earth SHMUPS: XYX (Gryzor) and XENO FIGHTERS (Alluro). These guys are the SUPREME MASTERS.

Thanks for the adrenaline!

Others best INDIE games that I played are (no order of importance) :

LAST FIGHTER (Alex Mdle)
HIKURI (Lief)
WINDS OF REBELLION (Cris Spiegel)
DEFENDERS OF AVALON (DST Games)
SPACE IMPAKTO (Relsoft)
WHITE BUTTERFLY (Linley)
AERO FLUX (Pieterator)
ARMED SEVEN (?)
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Question for Alluro:

I'm working on my Thunder Force Music Mod again and I'll be making a release soon before I go offline for 9 days. What are the current tags for the new stages not in v0.10 (4-B and EX2)?