NTSC-J Xbox 360 owner's manual

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
emphatic

Re: Guide to owning a Japanese 360

Post by emphatic »

Elixir wrote:Just checked my latest JP account and there's no prefecture/location/etc in there, so I don't know what you guys are talking about. Given the fact that I have managed to make an account without any details, and that I have proof of this, I'm not going to update the tutorial for now.
Wow. Two people managed to dream the exact same dream. Fuck us then.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Until I get around to making yet another Japanese account just for this, "hur dur it's broken fix now" is not going to cut it.

The only other piece of advice I have been given is when Ceph claimed that they don't repair Japanese consoles in the UK, which is apparently bullshit. It doesn't matter if a million of you come storming in, claiming that you need a prefecture and location. I want this guide to be accurate.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
Naiera

Post by Naiera »

It asks for this information when you try to redeem Live points. I'm not writing these things to annoy; I think people would actually appreciate having this information on hand when they, for example, try to get their hands on Death Smiles MBL. I'm not saying the guide is broken, as I think it's really good and I would have no idea of how to make sure to be able to buy downloadable content and such without it, but there's no denying what happened when I tried to redeem those Live points. This isn't a critique of you or your work.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Naiera wrote:This isn't a critique of you or your work.
This was my approach when firstly posting information about this as well. :roll: Perhaps this "Enter Japanese adress" only apply to people residing in Scandinavia (some clever IP adress checking from Live)?

Edit: Perhaps an Appendix thread is needed where info that "can't be verified" can be gathered for those lucky few who get unpleasant surprises when trying to redeem points. As this thread is now 6 pages long, you expect the first post to include ALL relevant information. Even the rare stuff.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

This has nothing to do with Live points, I actually don't have that covered in my guide right now. This is about account creation, which I want to test myself, before adding anything. It doesn't make much sense to have a tutorial on how to set up an account if it's patched together by "user experiences".
Edit: Perhaps an Appendix thread is needed where info that "can't be verified" can be gathered for those lucky few who get unpleasant surprises when trying to redeem points. As this thread is now 6 pages long, you expect the first post to include ALL relevant information. Even the rare stuff.
So you expect me to just write every single fine detail about owning a Japanese 360 in the original post, in my own time, for free, so I can have people like you bitch about it when I don't automatically approve your "experience". No, you don't expect anything.

Edit: I just realized you're talking about Live points and not creating a Japanese account itself. When saying I didn't want to make another account right now, you pursued the issue, which made me believe that it was definitely Japanese 360 accounts that we were talking about. As for Live points, it's like I said, I have yet to cover that just yet.

I've never actually used JP points before, can't you just enter any Asian address and it'll work? The same I would assume applies to using Asian points on a JP account.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Elixir wrote:So you expect me to just write every single fine detail about owning a Japanese 360 in the original post, in my own time, for free, so I can have people like you bitch about it when I don't automatically approve your "experience".
Well, if your time is so precious, why are you wasting it on building up this persona of being "Mr high and mighty", 24/7?
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

emphatic wrote:
Elixir wrote:So you expect me to just write every single fine detail about owning a Japanese 360 in the original post, in my own time, for free, so I can have people like you bitch about it when I don't automatically approve your "experience".
Well, if your time is so precious, why are you wasting it on building up this persona of being "Mr high and mighty", 24/7?
I don't. There is a difference between contributing towards a community, which is something I'm sure you're unfamiliar with, and wasting my time with shitposts like this instance I'm having to deal with here. When I have people like you coming into my threads, threads which I have actually willingly put effort into, saying that information is "missing" and that my thread should be pruned because you expect that every single piece of information is listed, you clearly have no appreciation for the thread holder, information in it, effort, time, or merit that the thread is meant to hold.

So yeah, thanks for the fantastic way of displaying your maturity, appreciation for my work, and demonstration on how you treat others online. Now please stop spamming my thread.

Bootaaay

Post by Bootaaay »

Ok, i've ordered a JP 360 and i've got a couple of question regarding accounts & DLC;

Firstly, i'm planning to take the HDD from my old (broken) UK 360 and use it in my new JP Arcade 360 - the UK HDD has my old UK account (still Gold activated, I think) and a load of XBLA games. Is there any way to alter my UK account so thats it's a Japanese account from now on, or will I need to create an entirely new JP account?

Secondly, if I can't turn my UK account into a JP account and then I purchase the DeathSmiles MBL DLC from a Japanese account, will I be able to play it while logged into my UK accont?

Appologies if this has already been covered, any help would be most appreciated.

Cheers :)
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

You can't "alter" your account to Japanese, it's not possible. You can, however, change your UK gamertag to something else (maddawg94324 or something), and then create a new, Japanese account and use your UK account's name on it. Note that anyone can take your gamertag name while it isn't attached to an account. It won't keep your friends list, gamer points, or basically, anything that your UK account has, so you would need to everyone in your current friends list manually.

If you download DLC from either account, it should work across accounts. If for some reason you end up having to get a new 360, you can do the migration license process, which lets you change your games licenses between consoles.

shmupper

Post by shmupper »

Games on demand, is it coming to Japan?
tsuruki

Post by tsuruki »

Some truth is not much convenient. The most haunted thing is.. that freaking red ring of death.

Provided that It's equal probability to encounter those kind of difficulty, you have to obey your uncertain fate despire the powerful aerodynamic fan you already attached with that hopeless console.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Can you play X Box Originals downloaded with a U.S. account on a J 360?
E. Randy Dupre

Post by E. Randy Dupre »

The same region-locking rules apply to Xbox Originals as they did to the original disc-based releases.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

hmm...this stinks.

so, DLC is locked to a gamertag as well, right?
EPS21

Post by EPS21 »

kid aphex wrote:hmm...this stinks.

I got a j360 not too long ago, only thing I bought so far on the marketplace was Ikaruga, on the US/non-JP account, but that works fine on my Japanese account too. I'm not sure about game specific add-ons and such, as I haven't bought anything like that, but I imagine it shouldn't be a problem.

Which account you use will matter when buying things from whichever regions marketplace, as DLC from Japan you'll notice is priced in yen, and you have to add those points to the Japanese account somehow (play-asia Japanese xbox point cards is probably the easiest way) and you can't use your points on your other non-JP to buy something like MBL for Deathsmiles.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Games On Demand is coming to the Japanese marketplace next week. They're supposedly going to have these games:

The iDOLM@STER
The iDOLM@STER Live For You
Rumble Roses XX

As direct downloads. What this means is, games which were originally physically purchased from sites and stuff are now going to be downloadable. Not for free of course, but I'm going to need to find figure out if it means foreign consoles can use JP points and download these games, or whether they're region locked.

All I can say is.. don't get your hopes up for shmups. This thing might nosedive like Xbox Originals did.

EPS21

Post by EPS21 »

In case anyone gets tired of trying to navigate play-asia's compatibility guide, here's another one thats alphabetized, compiled mostly of play-asia's findings, but a few more as well.

http://forum.xbox-sky.com/xbox360_regio ... ity_guide/
Bootaaay

Post by Bootaaay »

kid aphex wrote:hmm...this stinks.

Nope, you'll have to download the DLC from a JP account, but you can play it on any account - i've been playing the DeathSmiles & Mamoru-kun DLC I bought from my JP account on my UK account.
Elixir wrote:As direct downloads. What this means is, games which were originally physically purchased from sites and stuff are now going to be downloadable. Not for free of course, but I'm going to need to find figure out if it means foreign consoles can use JP points and download these games, or whether they're region locked.

All I can say is.. don't get your hopes up for shmups. This thing might nosedive like Xbox Originals did.
IIRC, whether the digital download version of the game is region locked depends on if it was locked when it was disc based - so most of the JP 360 releases will probably still be region locked, even when buying them from the store.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Games on Demand just came out. The content says "this game is not available from your current location". So they're IP locked.

bcass

Post by bcass »

Where did it say that? Can you post a picture? Were you using a JPN or a US console?

Using a JPN console in the UK with a JPN gamertag, it's letting me navigate to the GoD section and it lets me into the Redeem Code screen to buy using an MSP card.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

bcass wrote:Where did it say that? Can you post a picture? Were you using a JPN or a US console?

Using a JPN console in the UK with a JPN gamertag, it's letting me navigate to the GoD section and it lets me into the Redeem Code screen to buy using an MSP card.
For bcass, and for bcass only:
I guess that you've already redeemed Live points in the past and therefore already supplied a Japanese address?

Edit: As this would ensure the "good people" at Microsoft Live that you actually reside in Japan.
bcass

Post by bcass »

I haven't used any Japanese MSP cards yet to buy stuff off the JPN Marketplace. Do you have to supply a Japanese address when redeeming points cards? I can understand that being the case for credit cards, but for MSP cards too?
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

bcass wrote:I haven't used any Japanese MSP cards yet to buy stuff off the JPN Marketplace. Do you have to supply a Japanese address when redeeming points cards? I can understand that being the case for credit cards, but for MSP cards too?
I had to supply a Japanese adress for the points redeeming. Or was I imagining that? In another thread here, someone has been able to choose to pay for On Demand games with Live Points, so perhaps this is a workaround for buying Japanese On Demand games now that non-Japanese credit cards is out of the question.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Adding the following to the original post:

- Can I purchase Japanese-only games via the Games on Demand service using a JP account?

No. The games are IP locked, so you can't download them even if you have a JP console, JP account with points attached, and/or JP credit card attached as well. It simply will not work. If you attempt to purchase via points, it will say "This content is not available in your current location.", and if you attempt to purchase with a credit card, it'll just tell you the exact same thing.

bcass

Post by bcass »

It might still be possible by using a Japanese Proxy server with a JPN account. What game did you try to buy Elixir? Did you get as far as being able to input a redeem code? What happened when you pressed Y on the Buy screen to pay with MSP instead of a credit card? Also, you're in New Zealand aren't you? It might not be all territories that are locked-out (yeah, I know this is unlikely, but it needs to be tested before any conclusions are made).
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

I don't know anything about Japanese proxy use with 360s. Pressing Y changes it from yen to points. I can get as far as "confirm download" but it rejects it. I tried to buy Bullet Witch from the JP marketplace.

If you want to get a JP account along with some points for it, fine. You can't lose them if it rejects due to your location. Otherwise I'm going with what I've already tested; it's ip locked.

bcass

Post by bcass »

OK, thanks for the info. Using a proxy does work (as confirmed by Chiaroscuro) but it's likely you'd have to subscribe to one as free Japanese proxies seem to be thin on the ground...

I think the next thing to try is to get someone in Japan to login with one of our JPN Live accounts and buy a game (using an MSP card), delete it from their console, then login with the account back in our non-JPN region (with a JPN console) and see if it lets us redownload it.
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

bcass wrote:I haven't used any Japanese MSP cards yet to buy stuff off the JPN Marketplace. Do you have to supply a Japanese address when redeeming points cards? I can understand that being the case for credit cards, but for MSP cards too?
Yes I had to populate a Japanese address in order to add MS Points to my account.
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

If anyone knows anything about Japanese proxies, go nuts. I know nothing about proxies at all, nor do I know how to get them to work with a 360 console.

Danbo

Post by Danbo »

I don't know much about 360s, but I've been told that you can get them to connect to Live via an internet-connected PC with an ethernet cable and windows ICS (internet connection sharing). So the plan would be set up a proxy on your PC (a billion different guides around for this) and then use ICS with your xbox.

I doubt that the games are locked solely via IP address, though. More than likely there'll be a hardware thing too, but no harm in trying.