Raiden and Raiden II PCB's

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Shawn Carr2o

Raiden and Raiden II PCB's

Post by Shawn Carr2o »

Hi I wanted to know if my Raiden and Raiden II pcbs have a tate option mode because a friend of mine is going to build me a custom made supergun arcade unit next mouth to play them and they are the only two shrumps I own besides Captain America & the Avengers, Final Fight, Martial Champion and Marvel Super Heroes (phoenixed edition). :)

I would really hate to sell off both great shrumps. Anyone know? :)
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

What do you mean "TATE mode"? These games are vertical, so you'll need a vertically aligned monitor to play them. But that's what you mean, right? Not to try and play them with black borders on the sides?

Emph
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Shawn Carr2o

Post by Shawn Carr2o »

emphatic wrote:What do you mean "TATE mode"? These games are vertical, so you'll need a vertically aligned monitor to play them. But that's what you mean, right? Not to try and play them with black borders on the sides?

Emph
I wanted to know if i can play the games in the center of my toshiba 52 inch screen tv because the games will look horizonal and I just need to know when I play them on tv with a supergun arcade unit for home use. I am new to collecting pcb hardware. :P :)
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

No vertical shmup PCB has a tate option for playing on a horizontal monitor. You will need to rotate your monitor manually to the vertical position whenever you wish to play Raiden or Raiden II. Same with a supergun setup, you will need to physically rotate your TV to play them.
Shawn Carr2o

Post by Shawn Carr2o »

Dave_K. wrote:No vertical shmup PCB has a tate option for playing on a horizontal monitor. You will need to rotate your monitor manually to the vertical position whenever you wish to play Raiden or Raiden II. Same with a supergun setup, you will need to physically rotate your TV to play them.
Bummber my tv is to big to rotate and so I probably should sell them off even though I want to really keep them to play on tv but oh well lol. I wish I could get a good small monitor to rotate. :)
jonny5

Re: Raiden and Raiden II PCB's

Post by jonny5 »

Shawn Carr2o wrote: they are the only two shrumps I own besides Captain America & the Avengers, Final Fight, Martial Champion and Marvel Super Heroes (phoenixed edition). :)
i almost want to sig this :D

epic lolz
Shawn Carr2o

Post by Shawn Carr2o »

jonny5 wrote:
Shawn Carr2o wrote: they are the only two shrumps I own besides Captain America & the Avengers, Final Fight, Martial Champion and Marvel Super Heroes (phoenixed edition). :)

epic lolz
:lol:
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

Shawn Carr2o wrote:
jonny5 wrote:

epic lolz
:lol:
:wink:
captpain

Post by captpain »

Shrumps
jpj

Post by jpj »

shawn carr: (sure i recognise that user name from somewhere...)

if you get a modded ps1, you can get Raiden Project, which is raiden 1 and 2, and play them on your tv without the need for rotating.

and nice to see a user who can take a joke :wink:
RegalSin wrote:Videogames took my life away like the Natives during colonial times.
Shawn Carr2o

Post by Shawn Carr2o »

jpj wrote:shawn carr: (sure i recognise that user name from somewhere...)

if you get a modded ps1, you can get Raiden Project, which is raiden 1 and 2, and play them on your tv without the need for rotating.

and nice to see a user who can take a joke :wink:
Yep I have a modded PS1 console and the only import game I have is Asuka Burning Fest 120% for it. Yeah I am deciding between the import or US version of Raiden Project. :)

Yeah I can take a joke sometimes. :wink:
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

If you do get the SCEA port of Raiden Project, there is a Gameshark code that fixes the tate controls to their proper orientation if you play either Raiden or Raiden II in tate.

If your Supergun can output in RGB, then I suggest picking up a cheap-ass Commodore Amiga 14" RGB monitor either the 1080 or the 1084S variants, you can tate it with ease to play both your favorite arcade shmup PCBs of Seibu Kaihatsu's Raiden and Raiden II. Plan on spending no more than $30 to $40 tops for an Amiga monitor. Then you'd just need a custom RGB cable made, plug it from the Supergun & into the Amiga...and you're all set. ^_~

BTW, does your Raiden II PCB have a "back-up" lithium battery installed on the PCB itself?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
yojo!

Post by yojo! »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:If you do get the SCEA port of Raiden Project, there is a Gameshark code that fixes the tate controls to their proper orientation if you play either Raiden or Raiden II in tate.

If your Supergun can output in RGB, then I suggest picking up a cheap-ass Commodore Amiga 14" RGB monitor either the 1080 or the 1084S variants, you can tate it with ease to play both your favorite arcade shmup PCBs of Seibu Kaihatsu's Raiden and Raiden II. Plan on spending no more than $30 to $40 tops for an Amiga monitor. Then you'd just need a custom RGB cable made, plug it from the Supergun & into the Amiga...and you're all set. ^_~

BTW, does your Raiden II PCB have a "back-up" lithium battery installed on the PCB itself?
PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Not so fast; Raiden I and II do not output 60fps but 57 or 58 instead. So It most often does not work well with supergun; you other option is to use the supergun for controls and hook up the Raiden pcb 's video signal to anarcade type monitor where you 'll be able to adjust the sync.
Shawn Carr2o

Post by Shawn Carr2o »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:If you do get the SCEA port of Raiden Project, there is a Gameshark code that fixes the tate controls to their proper orientation if you play either Raiden or Raiden II in tate.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
I am not sure if it has a backup lithium battery installed because I am unable to look myself since I am disabled and either my mom or her boyfriend will need to look at the boards to know. :)
PC Engine Fan X!

Shawn Carr2o wrote:

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
I am not sure if it has a backup lithium battery installed because I am unable to look myself since I am disabled and either my mom or her boyfriend will need to look at the boards to know. :)
If your Raiden II PCB does have a back-up battery, it will look a bit like a double "AA" type battery with two wires coming out of it. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Shawn Carr2o

Post by Shawn Carr2o »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:
Shawn Carr2o wrote:

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
If your Raiden II PCB does have a back-up battery, it will look a bit like a double "AA" type battery with two wires coming out of it. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Thanks I will look. :)
antron

Post by antron »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote: BTW, does your Raiden II PCB have a "back-up" lithium battery installed on the PCB itself?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
mine does, why do you ask?
AKRATEN

Post by AKRATEN »

Shrumps are awesome!

:D
IronGiant

Post by IronGiant »

antron wrote:
PC Engine Fan X! wrote: BTW, does your Raiden II PCB have a "back-up" lithium battery installed on the PCB itself?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Sorry, missed your reply!

Was curious because I have a Raiden II, but even after adding a battery it won't save the high scores. From reading elsewhere it looks like this is deliberate, ie when the battery has died once or been removed the board will no longer save the high scores.

Does yours save high scores okay?

Has the battery ever been replaced?

Thanks
PC Engine Fan X!

R-Typer wrote:
antron wrote:

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Sorry, missed your reply!

Was curious because I have a Raiden II, but even after adding a battery it won't save the high scores. From reading elsewhere it looks like this is deliberate, ie when the battery has died once or been removed the board will no longer save the high scores.

Does yours save high scores okay?

Has the battery ever been replaced?

Thanks
My Raiden II PCB doesn't save high scores even though there is an original 3.6v lithium battery installed on it. And no, the battery has never been replaced at all. What you mention about a Raiden II PCB with backup battery, when it goes or is removed, then all high-score saving functionality goes out the window. This is mentioned in the last page of the Japanese Raiden II Operator's Manual but it is entirely in Japanese.

So thus, a Raiden II with said backup battery that has gone kaput, the high-score saving ceases to function but the PCB functions normally when it's powered on and will save the current high score for the day but loses it when powered down for the night. This is what Seibu Kaihatsu wanted from the beginning for it's Raiden II and Raiden DX PCBs with backup battery feature -- muck around with it and high score saving is lost forever. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
antron

Post by antron »

so should I just remove mine and not replace it, before it leaks?
IronGiant

Post by IronGiant »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote: My Raiden II PCB doesn't save high scores even though there is an original 3.6v lithium battery installed on it. And no, the battery has never been replaced at all. What you mention about a Raiden II PCB with backup battery, when it goes or is removed, then all high-score saving functionality goes out the window. This is mentioned in the last page of the Japanese Raiden II Operator's Manual but it is entirely in Japanese.
That explains it then! Thanks for confirming it.
So thus, a Raiden II with said backup battery that has gone kaput, the high-score saving ceases to function but the PCB functions normally when it's powered on and will save the current high score for the day but loses it when powered down for the night. This is what Seibu Kaihatsu wanted from the beginning for it's Raiden II and Raiden DX PCBs with backup battery feature -- muck around with it and high score saving is lost forever. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
That really is utterly nuts. I wonder which fool thought that was a good idea? :roll:
IronGiant

Post by IronGiant »

antron wrote:so should I just remove mine and not replace it, before it leaks?
Hmmm, tough call. A leak could cause serious damage to your PCB if it goes unnoticed, so as a precautionary measure it might be wise to remove the battery and so of course lose the ability to save high scores. Having said that, in theory it SHOULD be possible to remove it but to connect up a new battery before you do so, ie so that the board doesn't detect that the battery has been changed. I know that there are instructions on the 'net on how to do something similar with the batteries on Capcom's CPS boards, so the same principal should apply. I haven't tried it though so you do it at your (and your board's) peril! I take no responsibility, etc. :)

Look up The Dead Battery Society and that might help give you some ideas.
antron

Post by antron »

R-Typer wrote:
antron wrote:so should I just remove mine and not replace it, before it leaks?
Hmmm, tough call. A leak could cause serious damage to your PCB if it goes unnoticed, so as a precautionary measure it might be wise to remove the battery and so of course lose the ability to save high scores. Having said that, in theory it SHOULD be possible to remove it but to connect up a new battery before you do so, ie so that the board doesn't detect that the battery has been changed. I know that there are instructions on the 'net on how to do something similar with the batteries on Capcom's CPS boards, so the same principal should apply. I haven't tried it though so you do it at your (and your board's) peril! I take no responsibility, etc. :)

Look up The Dead Battery Society and that might help give you some ideas.
my battery is already dead.
IronGiant

Post by IronGiant »

In that case, remove it. It should just unplug and the cable tie around it will need to be snipped.
Drakon

Post by Drakon »

Shawn Carr2o wrote:Hi I wanted to know if my Raiden and Raiden II pcbs have a tate option mode because a friend of mine is going to build me a custom made supergun arcade unit next mouth to play them and they are the only two shrumps I own besides Captain America & the Avengers, Final Fight, Martial Champion and Marvel Super Heroes (phoenixed edition). :)

you turn your whole room sideways and this solves your problem