The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
AKRATEN

removing monitor Anti Glare coating

Post by AKRATEN »

Hello
I bought a Egret 2 cab today for 700 bones and the monitor looks awesome
except one small thing,
it looks like there is a small part that the anti glare coating got rubbed off,
you cant see it when the cab is on , but If I could remove all the anti glare coating it would look awesome,
any suggestions?
yosai

Post by yosai »

Dave_K.

Re: removing monitor Anti Glare coating

Post by Dave_K. »

AKRATEN wrote:Hello
I bought a Egret 2 cab today for 700 bones and the monitor looks awesome
except one small thing,
Wow very nice price for an egret 2!
AKRATEN wrote: it looks like there is a small part that the anti glare coating got rubbed off,
you cant see it when the cab is on , but If I could remove all the anti glare coating it would look awesome,
any suggestions?
Be careful, as there are two types of "screen burn", one looks like the game pixels burned into the screen, and the second is more like a discoloration of tinting on the underside of the glass. Can you take a picture? Point being you won't be able to fix the latter by removing the outside glass tinting.
AKRATEN

Post by AKRATEN »

Thanks Dave!
here is what i have
i believe that it isnt burn since it is on the surface

here is a pick

you cant see it during gameplay unless you are really looking,
it seems to be that the antiglair was removed on a small part
I was hoping I could get some sort of solvent and remove all of it so it is uniform.

I can live with it , especially since i paid so little for the cab and it is in great shape, but if it was a easy fix I would do it.

when i went to look at the cab I didnt even see it till it was turned off and in the sun.

when i shine a flashlight on it you can see that it is on the top of the glass and not under it.

any advice .
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

since you are stateside, when you find a product that works for this let me know.....id be interested in getting it to....i have some scratches in the anti-static coating on one of my monitors

the threads on arcade otaku refer to stuff in the netherlands and uk....

good luck
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

AKRATEN wrote: here is a pick
Hmm, I have three cabs which have that same thing, and not noticable while playing. I was told it (from last guy I bought the one of these from) that it was another form of screen burn...maybe its not, and like you said on the surface. But its hard for me to really tell if its on the front, or under the glass (but still in front of the phospher).

Anyway, I've had lot of people over playing my machines, any nobody ever noticed it. Its only us owners who are anal about crap like this, so I think leave it, as you could make things a lot worse (and noticable while playing).
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

Dave_K. wrote:
Its only us owners who are anal about crap like this, so I think leave it, as you could make things a lot worse (and noticable while playing).
very true....very true.... :wink:

but id still be interested in trying it out.....cuz ive seen very good results

cuz the picture in mine is fine and there is very little actual burnin...barely noticable even on a white screen....nobody sees it(i notice it :roll: )...but the antistatic coating is scratched in places...also not noticable to most....but it slaps me in the eyes every time i see it :cry:
AKRATEN

Post by AKRATEN »

Dave_K. wrote:
Anyway, I've had lot of people over playing my machines, any nobody ever noticed it. Its only us owners who are anal about crap like this, so I think leave it, as you could make things a lot worse (and noticable while playing).
I think I agree with you

when I am playing games on the cab I dont notice so some times it is better left this way.

all the products mentioned on other forums for removal of this film are not available in the U.S. or at least I havent found them.

:)
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

AKRATEN wrote:
Dave_K. wrote:
I think I agree with you

when I am playing games on the cab I dont notice so some times it is better left this way.

all the products mentioned on other forums for removal of this film are not available in the U.S. or at least I havent found them.

:)
thats what ive found as well....if anybody knows of a comparable product as mentioned in the various EU made tutorials readily available in north america please do speak up....
AKRATEN

Post by AKRATEN »

for sure,
I tryed something called " scratch out
by a company called kit and it did nothing
also tryed Novice polish number 3 and some stuff called oops.
none worked worth a damn.

:?
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

ive even tryed to find somebody to send me some of that crazy norwegian shit they used that worked, but apparently it cant be sent internationally or something
AKRATEN

Post by AKRATEN »

Ok so I solved the issue with the Anti Glare ,

I used a soft towel from a auto store
the tower is called a microfiber ultra shine drying towel
*for washing your car*

the product i used to buff with is called
Novus 3 scratch remover
*originally designed for plastics*
it did not scratch the glass and removed all my scratches as well as the anti glare.

here are some picks

this one is half of the glare rubbed off , the bottom that is purple is the glare

here is after

the screen is smoth
it is kinda hard to tell cause there is stuff reflecting in the background but it is super smoth and scratch free

here is a link to the product i used

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=113

hope this helps

it took about 3 hours or hard buffing by hand but is totally worth it.

it looks amazing

:D
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Novus is really great for scratches on the cabinet body as well if you have 'em. I've got Novus 1 & 2 for that purpose. Perhaps I should try it on my EGRET II's screen as well. :D I've been so busy playing on it I haven't been looking for scratches when it's off.

Emph
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

AKRATEN wrote:Image
Hey, dude. I could tell that the small blemish was really bothering you. I'm glad you were able to sort it out. It looks great. Who is that hot guy in the reflection?
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

so you just used the novus 3?

cuz the site you linked says that after 3 you need to use 2 to finish....

also can you link to the cloth you used....

thanx a million for that link.....now lets just hope they will ship to canada
AKRATEN

Post by AKRATEN »

yah the directions say to use 2 afterwords but i didnt use 2 at all
novus 3 made the screen look smoth , i think since it is made for plastic you have to use 2 to smoth it out more.
the glass is really tuff so basically you use the novus 3 just to remove the coating.

the micorfiber i used was this

http://www.uline.com/BL_6985/?pricode=WO523

hope this helps

make sure you have 2 towels or at least one you cut in half , so you have one for buffing and one dry one for taking off the excess novus 3.

these towels are super fine so they will not scratch your monitor.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

awesome....thanx buddy.....i will be picking up some of it very soon to do my scratched up monitor ....
AKRATEN

Post by AKRATEN »

get in there!
ckong

Post by ckong »

The second link in the second post is my posting on arcadeotaku, and it's very nice to see that in the US a similar product as commandant 5 has been found. :P

I know from my own experience that the result after a good scrub of a few hours is really amazing. Let those baby's shine!
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Nice job! Now the real question...what does the glare look like while playing a game? Is it noticeable at all?
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

how much of the novus 3 did you go through for one monitor?

cuz my buddy and i are looking at doing like 4 of them and want to make sure we have enough

and glare shouldnt ever be an issue unless you have your cab in a brightly lit room.....if im playing its pitch black( or as dark as i can make it during the day)

it doesnt feel right playing arcade games in the light :lol:
AKRATEN

Post by AKRATEN »

I used a 2oz bottle , and all of it
i think the 6oz is a good maybe a 16 oz if you are doing so many cabs
AKRATEN

Post by AKRATEN »

Dave_K. wrote:Nice job! Now the real question...what does the glare look like while playing a game? Is it noticeable at all?

Thats a great question
the glair isnt that bad , actually the reason the after picture i posted has more glare is because i took it in the morning with tons of light and the before picture was taken in the middle of the night when i was scrubbing away.

I think you would be happy with the results Dave.

Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

jonny5 wrote:and glare shouldnt ever be an issue unless you have your cab in a brightly lit room.....if im playing its pitch black( or as dark as i can make it during the day)
Are you sure about that? You may get some glare from the monitor itself in a darkend room reflecting off your own face (since you sit so close to it).
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

considering the cost of the product compared to the shipping it makes sense to order more.....

i will probably order 2 of the 8 ounce bottles, and some of the micro fibre clothes(from the same site) just so we have spare for the future......

thanx a bunch for the info :D
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

Dave_K. wrote:
jonny5 wrote:and glare shouldnt ever be an issue unless you have your cab in a brightly lit room.....if im playing its pitch black( or as dark as i can make it during the day)
Are you sure about that? You may get some glare from the monitor itself in a darkend room reflecting off your own face (since you sit so close to it).
hmmmm....its possible i suppose....bu not likely i think.....and its not as bothersome as scratches in the anti static coating.....which i DO see.....even if nobody else does until i point them out :roll:

worse comes to worse i live 45 mins from niemen displays and i can pick up a brand new 29 inch that fits new astros like butter for $400cad....

already grabbed one for my other cab which had bad burn in....but the monitor in the new cab has a great picture and negligible burn in, its just scratched up...so if the scratches go bye bye im happy with it....otherwise it will bug me until i get a new one :oops:
AKRATEN

Post by AKRATEN »

Dave_K. wrote:

I think you would be stoked Dave.

Last edited by AKRATEN on Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

AKRATEN wrote: I think you would be stoked Dave.

Thanks for the last pic Aaron, that says it all. Great job! :wink:
AKRATEN

Post by AKRATEN »

Awesome Dave!

poodude

Post by poodude »

Nice work! I may have to consider doing this to my Astro's monitor.