Best Gameboy/ GB Color games?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
indstr

Best Gameboy/ GB Color games?

Post by indstr »

So, there were some pretty good responses in the master system thread. Another system I've been meaning to check out more of is the original Gameboy and Gameboy Color.
Recently I've discovered "Donkey Kong", AKA Donkey Kong 94, which is actually a massive 100 level puzzle platformer & is the precursor to the Mario vs Donkey kong series. I'm about 70 levels in and it is positively bad ass.
A GBC game I've enjoyed is "Shantae". An obscure but actually pretty good metroidvania style game with amazing graphics considering it is for GBC. Too bad it came out so late in the system's life

But I need more good recommends. Bring them on!
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

Yes Shantae does have some inpressive graphics for the GBC, supposedly it actually enhances the graphics (color palate) when played on a GBA.

Rubble Saver is the game I have to mention anytime a GameBoy thread comes along.
Side-scroller adventure shooter game with that is just lots of fun to play, and little known evidently.[/i]
Last edited by Koa Zo on Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
indstr

Post by indstr »

Sounds interesting! Obscure stuff is always welcome :D At first I couldn't find anything on that game and it turns out it is actually called "The Adventures of Star Saver", aka "Rubble saver" ...

I'll definitely check it out

BTW, I remember reading in nintendo power a loooong time ago, about a gameboy game that was similar to Solstice & Equinox, with the isometric viewpoint & puzzle solving. I think it had a space theme. Anybody know what that was called?
szycag

Post by szycag »

The Beatmania and Pop n Music games are fun.
Mega Man V is completely unique with planet themed robot masters. Mega Man Xtreme 1 and 2 are worth playing, especially 2. It's cool seeing X done 8-bit style.
The HAL pinball games: Revenge of the Gator and Kirby's Pinball Land.

this thread from me catalogs most all of the GB/GBC shmups
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 23&start=0
That is Galactic Dancing
Lordstar

Post by Lordstar »

i hear the metal ger solid game was good and the classic pokemon game which finally got me to buy in to the gameboy console after 10 years :lol:
Follow me on twitter for tees and my ramblings @karoshidrop
shmups members can purchase here http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21158
elfhentaifan

Post by elfhentaifan »

pokemon red/green/yellow definetly are on top.
The rest i played wasnt worth mentioning.

Especially to Boulder Dash which is by far the worst game i ever played in my life with the absolutely most disgusting music.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Well, since Metal Gear Solid and Shantae were already mentioned...I'll continue the must-be-mentioned-list with Metroid II.

Actually, I'll have to say about Shantae that while it's a very impressive game in many ways, I got bored before I could finish it. Still, something to definitely check out.

Also: Bionic Commando. Especially the GB iteration, though the GBC one isn't bad either. But the GB one is very good indeed.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
pixeljunkie

Post by pixeljunkie »

Lordstar wrote:i hear the metal gear solid game was good
it was.

For me? I still play Gargoyle's Quest from time to time and Project S-11 is a shmup with a great chiptune soundtrack.

Elixir

Post by Elixir »

This reminds me I need to play through Azure Dreams for GBC. Thanks OP.
sven666

Post by sven666 »

+1 for revenge of the gator and gargoyles quest.

i also quite liked the punisher which is a pleasant surprise in a traditionally sucky genre.
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
pixeljunkie

Post by pixeljunkie »

Elixir wrote:This reminds me I need to play through Azure Dreams for GBC. Thanks OP.
oh man, I loved that game.
indstr

Post by indstr »

Isometric game I was thinking of is called "Altered space" :D
If more 2D people would go to the 2D Gaming Forum, there would be more people to talk about 2D games with other 2D fans on the tootie gaming forum. It's 2Dlicious. For real yall
Grinning Cat

Post by Grinning Cat »

Magical Chase
benstylus

Post by benstylus »

Elevator Action on the GB is the best Elevator Action game ever.

Operation C is everything you love about contra squished into a game boy cartridge.
You're arguing for a universe with fewer waffles in it. I'm prepared to call that cowardice.
LaserGun

Post by LaserGun »

James Bond 007
TriggerHeartExelica

Post by TriggerHeartExelica »

Anything Kirby rocks. Dragonquest III is pretty good. Links Awakening is pretty good from what I heard.
It’s almost over. It’s just begun.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

+1 for the HAL pinballs, Metroid II, Elevator Action, Operation C, and Metal Gear

Other games I recommend:

Toki Tori GBC: Excellent puzzler with very impressive graphics for the system.

Xtreme Sports GBC: Arcade Style multi-event sports game from the company that did Shantae with side-scrolling platformer like events and some overheard ones. The events are goal based and the game has an RPG-ish overworld where you talk to people to compete in the events.

Bomberman GB (US/EU?)/Bomberman GB2 (JP): A fun bomberman game with goal based levels where you choose from two different goals before entering the level. It also has some nice SGB support

Atomic Punk/Dynablaster/Bomber Boy: Another GB Bomberman. This one has a new mode where you buy powerups and choose which ones to use before starting the level. It also has a port of the first NES Bomberman.

Solomon's Club and Solomon/Monster Rancher Explorer GBC: Great action/puzzle games that play like Solomon's Key. GBC one has the Monster Rancher license (even the JP one with the different name), but has more screen area and has a nifty edit mode.

Motocross Maniacs 1 GB and 2 GBC: Fun side scrolling Excitebike like games from Konami. Both are recommended. The second one adds more track variety and a level editor.

Castlevania II Belmont's Revenge/Dracula Densetsu: The best CV for the b/w GB. Excellent music, great bosses, and some nifty level designs. Odd difference between JP and US versions. US version has axe and holy water for subweapons and JP version has the cross instead of the axe.
szycag wrote:Mega Man V is completely unique with planet themed robot masters.
Agreed. I also recommend the other GB MM and Rockman Worlds, with the exception of 2. 1-4 have reused robot masters, but the levels are all unique. 2 is the weakest because of the odd music and lack of polish. 4 is the best IMO, but 1, 3, and 5 are also good stuff.
TriggerHeartExelica wrote:Anything Kirby rocks.
I especially recommend Kirby's Dreamland 2, one of the best Kirby sidescrollers.
indstr

Post by indstr »

BrianC wrote: Toki Tori GBC: Excellent puzzler with very impressive graphics for the system.
Never heard of that but it looks positively badass and definitely up my alley :D
If more 2D people would go to the 2D Gaming Forum, there would be more people to talk about 2D games with other 2D fans on the tootie gaming forum. It's 2Dlicious. For real yall
320x240

Post by 320x240 »

indstr wrote:
BrianC wrote: Toki Tori GBC: Excellent puzzler with very impressive graphics for the system.
Never heard of that but it looks positively badass and definitely up my alley :D
There's a sequel available for the Wii (WiiWare).
szycag

Post by szycag »

That is Galactic Dancing
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

pixeljunkie wrote:
Lordstar wrote:i hear the metal gear solid game was good
it was.

For me? I still play Gargoyle's Quest from time to time and Project S-11 is a shmup with a great chiptune soundtrack.

Metal Gear Solid (Ghost Babel) was not bad at all. Seems to be pretty similar to where it all started, the MSX games as briefly as I've tried them.
Not bad at all.

GQ is a good mention and the chiptune recommendation on PS-11 is good but I find the game itself a bit too floaty. Thanks inertia!

Seems like everyone around here has all bases covered. Elevator Action, Donkey Kong (1994), Link's Awakening, Kirby's Dream Land 1 (despite the shortage of power absorption I still like it), Mario Land 1 and 2, Metroid 2, Mario's Picross, and Tetris regular and DX are all worthy mentions.

For more obscure, I'd recommend Banishing Racer. Interesting take on a car/platformer type game. I assume this is the same premise as Tryrush Deppy on Saturn? I quite like this one.

Tennis and Mario Tennis for GBC are also good pick up and plays and MT sports some fine tunes.

Nice reference on the Balloon Kid szy, that looks like a good one too.
Last edited by Limbrooke on Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'
TLB

Post by TLB »

Link's Awakening is my absolute favorite Zelda ever. So great.

MGS:GB was lulzy (never was able to find a copy of my own =/)

Kirby's Dreamland + sequels were a ton of fun.

I have a place in my tiny lil' heart for Kirby's Block Ball. Fun game. It's like Arkanoid except better and with Kirby =P

Hmmm..it's been OH WAIT. Remembered some more.

Wario Blast! Bomberman and Wario and stuff, good fun.

Bomberman GB was good fun. In fact I think I'm going to look around for some old Bomberman stuff; apparently there was a GB2 and a Bomberman Pocket in addition to the other two on the GB alone, and I only played the two I listed. Haven't played Bomberman in years =P

Zelda: Oracles games weren't that good, but if you have to get one, I'd pick Seasons myself. But they're cheap enough that you might as well get both anyway =P

Super Mario Bros. Deluxe was pretty cool (as if no one's beaten the shit out of SMB enough times xD).

Hm. I think nothing else is coming to mind, but yeah, the GB/GBC had a ton of great games. I may have to check out some of those posted earlier myself ^_-

EDIT: Donkey Kong was splendid as well =P
Lordstar

Post by Lordstar »

sven666 wrote:gargoyles quest.
Limbrooke wrote:Gargoyle's Quest
OH FUCK YES!
shmups members can purchase here http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21158
Lordstar

Post by Lordstar »

szycag wrote:I forgot:
Balloon Kid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU4HJqNPJ6Y
HELLO KITTY LICENCE

Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

indstr wrote:Sounds interesting! Obscure stuff is always welcome :D At first I couldn't find anything on that game and it turns out it is actually called "The Adventures of Star Saver", aka "Rubble saver" ...

I'll definitely check it out
Ah, "The Adventures of Star Saver"! I never would have guessed this was released in the west! And by Taito of all companies. Cool!
eBay seller SAFJ had a loose cart for sale for $1.99 for ages, and the name alone drew me, "Rubble Saver", but I was never able to find info about it on the web, besides one lone screenshot.
Finally bought the loose cart, just to see if I'd strike gold. And indeed I did.

this review from gamefaqssums up my impressions, though in the end I'd give the game an 8/10
There is quite a bit to this little platformer. Aside from the usual jumping and shooting, there are items that will help you on your way such as invincibility, thrusters to help slow your descent, and arrows (grappling hooks) that'll save you if you happen to fall into a pit and also allow you to latch on to platforms to pull yourself across. And like most shooters, there are bosses at the end of stage with which to test your might.
Limbrooke wrote: For more obscure, I'd recommend Banishing Racer. Interesting take on a car/platformer type game. I assume this is the same premise as Tryrush Deppy on Saturn? I quite like this one.
Hadn't heard of that one. Is there actual driving? Or is it just an anthropomorphic car moving around a platform game?

And don't think it was mentioned yet:
Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters is very good if you're a fan of the original. In fact I'd say it is one of the best "true to original form" sequels every produced.
m3tall1ca wrote: Super Mario Bros. Deluxe was pretty cool (as if no one's beaten the shit out of SMB enough times xD).

EDIT: Donkey Kong was splendid as well =P
Absolutely. Super Mario Bros. Deluxe is top notch!
If anybody is going to play through SMB again, that is the version to play.
Especially the red coin challenges.
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

Blaster Master: Enemy Below- Plays a lot like the NES original.
Castlevania Adventure
Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge
Castlevania Legends

Gargoyle's Quest- A great action RPG.
Gradius: Interstellar Assault- Very good Gradius entry, sans the annoying laser sound.
MegaMan X-treme- An enjoyable entry in the series.
MegaMan X-treme 2- An even better sequel.
Metroid II- A fun game that plays a bit differently from the NES original.
R-Type DX- Two R-Type game, both B&W and color, but is missing a couple levels from each game.
Sagaia- Darius with a linear set up like traditional shmups, instead of Darius' signature expanding brackets.
Shantae- A great platformer.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

I didn't like the Xtreme games. Mega Man V is awesome, though.

Metroid II was good. Big improvement over the original, though the spider-balling got annoying later on.

Link's Awakening might be the best traditional sprite-based Zelda. I can't decide between it and Link to the Past. James Bond 007 is a nice Zelda-ish game.

The second Castlevania & Gradius games are fun, and colorized versions are on the European Konami GB Collection Vol. 4.

The Game & Watch collections are classic little time-wasters.

You've probably already tried Mario Land 1 & 2.

And if you're gonna go Pokémon, go Pokémon Crystal.
Momijitsuki

Post by Momijitsuki »

elfhentaifan wrote:pokemon red/green/yellow definetly are on top.
The rest i played wasnt worth mentioning.

Especially to Boulder Dash which is by far the worst game i ever played in my life with the absolutely most disgusting music.
I have to agree. Pokémon Red will always have a special place in my heart.
RoninBuddha

Post by RoninBuddha »

if you love platformers, try out Daiku no Gen San and Samurai Kid, both games are fairly similar (too similar in fact), it has a puzzle element going on wherein you have 3 weapons, each doing a specific thing to an enemy, one turns them into blocks and push them away, one angers them and they follow you, the other simply to crush blocks made. you use these to get around the levels/areas... play it to understand it more...

KY
themachinist

Post by themachinist »

Donkey Kong and Kirby's Dreamland 2 were awesome. I still have the carts in my room.
I was also pretty into the G&W collections, always competing with my brother for the high scores.