Best Gameboy/ GB Color games?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BrianC

Re: Best Gameboy/ GB Color games?

Post by BrianC »

Turrican wrote: How many GB games received a straight colorized port on GBC? With straight I mean, that color is the only thing they added: this list should therefore be without Zelda LA DX or Balloon Fight GB.
Wario Land II and Game and Watch Gallery 2 had GBC releases shortly after their GB release with Color being the only thing added, as far as I know. I'm pretty sure most of the majesco color games (Centipede, Frogger, Missile Command, etc.) only added color, as well. As far as I know, that Japan only color version of Donkey Kong Land 3, Donkey Kong GB Dinky and Dixie, is straight colorized port.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

I found this via google:

http://sh0gunz.tripod.com/CGB/games.htm

Don't know who this Melvin guy is, but it's interesting that according to him companies were planning colorized versions of many games, but unfortunately they must have changed their plans at some point.
X - P - B
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Turrican wrote:I found this via google:

http://sh0gunz.tripod.com/CGB/games.htm

Don't know who this Melvin guy is, but it's interesting that according to him companies were planning colorized versions of many games, but unfortunately they must have changed their plans at some point.
The funny thing about the Zelda rumor is that the title on the page, "Dreaming Isle" is actually a translation of the JP name for Link's Awakening. The "sequel" that was rumored ended up being the GBC version of Link's Awakening. Of the Sunsoft games on the page, only Looney Tunes got a color version.

I thought I remembered reading that the GBC version is easier, but, as far as I can tell, it's the same as the GB version, but with added bonus rounds between levels. Color looks nice and the Porky Pig level even has the clouds changing colors, so it definitely makes good use of the GBC colors.

I'm wondering with is up with the JP Donkey Kong Land 3 GBC port. It looks inferior to many backwards compatible GBC games, yet is GBC only. I'm guessing it was a quick and dirty port to sell it as a color game when no more GB b/w games or backwards compatible GBC games were coming out.

I'm surprised that site is still up. It's been around for awhile and hasn't been updated for ages.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

I love the fact that b&w carts had the Game Link game pack logo on them, so you can tell at a glance where to find good multiplayer action (provided you have cables).

With late GBC cartridges, every logo disappear, so you have to go searching info on games. There are game which support the printer, other which support wired multiplayer, other make use of the infrared port...

Speaking of game link, does anyone know for a fact if gamelink is supported by the same game but with different regionality? Like a US cart and a Japanese one for example?
BrianC wrote:I thought I remembered reading that the GBC version is easier, but, as far as I can tell, it's the same as the GB version, but with added bonus rounds between levels. Color looks nice and the Porky Pig level even has the clouds changing colors, so it definitely makes good use of the GBC colors.
Well, if bonus rounds reward you with stuff like extra lives, maybe that's where the reputation of being easier comes from.
Last edited by Turrican on Sun May 05, 2013 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
X - P - B
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Turrican wrote: Speaking of game link, does anyone know for a fact if gamelink is supported by the same game but with different regionality? Like a US cart and a Japanese one for example?
It depends on the games. Ones that have the same game between regions like Tetris should work with each other, but ones with differences between regions may not work. One thing I like about JP carts is that even later b/w GB games like Pocket Puyo Puyo Tsuu and Namco Gallery 2 have a game link logo (which differs from the US logo). The US stopped using it when Super Game Boy games came out.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

regarding games which were colorized with no other changes:
The Konami collection series (sorry exact name escapes me, there were at least 4 volumes) were first released in Japan as B&W games, then later released in Europe with color.

Edit: Sry I see EdOscuro already mentioned the Konami GB collection games.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Another solid game originally for the GB and colorized for the west was Gekito Power Modeler -> Power Quest. I don't know if Capcom helped the developers out but the controls are among the best for a GB fighter.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Ganelon wrote:I don't know if Capcom helped the developers out but the controls are among the best for a GB fighter.
Considering that Capcom's own Street Fighter II probably ranks as the worst on the system, probably not. :P
/---/

Regarding colorized versions, I'm more interested in games that were published in b&w years before the eventual Color rerelease. Looney Tunes (1992) would be an excellent example of that, if it weren't for those added bonus rounds.

Basically, I'm intrigued to see if, in the GB lifespan since 1989, some games had gained the status of "classics" for the system, enough to ensure a second release from 1998 onward. There doesn't seem to be too many. The ones you mentioned (Konami GB collections, Power Quest etc.) are more a case of recent games that happen to switch to Color in the time frame occurred by their localization to the western markets.

There's the example of Zelda LA DX of course, but Nintendo added a lot other than just color. Then there's Balloon Kid -> Balloon Fight GB. This one adds a world map and a save feature. And incidentally, this one too is more a byproduct of inverse localization (the original Balloon Kid had strangely remained in the west).

Then there are cases like Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man or even Dropzone, which got a Color upgrade but again these aren't really "Gameboy classics", but rather classics tout court. Ditto for the Majesco stuff BrianC mentioned: I'm more interested in original GB IPs here.

One case might be euro platformer (and GB original) Lucky Luke. It was released in 1996 as a standard b&w cart, which is very late to not sport at least some SGB enhancements, I'd say. Then, three years later, a fully colorized version of it was released. I'm not too familiar with the game but at a quick glance it seems like only color was added. So, there's one[*]. Although 1996-1999 is a shorter time span for what I was looking for.

Basically it seems that companies didn't turn to their back catalogue to give "color life" to their classics. There was some excellent stuff in Gameboy lineup from 1989-1991 that certainly had gained reputation. When I think to Nintendo's own library, the fact that basically only Zelda and Balloon Kid were given this treatment is quite stunning. Same for Squaresoft, Capcom, Konami. Why not going color then? Probably they thought that people still had their perfectly working B&W carts with them (and GBC could add a color palette by default to them), so not everyone would be convinced to upgrade. That, and the fact that 1998-2001 is a relatively short lifespan that GBC enjoyed before becoming itself a piece of history.

[*]= I might be wrong however: it's suspicious that they rereleased it on a GBC-only clear cartridge. If color is really the only thing they added, a black, backwards-compatible cart would have been the better choice.
X - P - B
Loris Biaggi

Post by Loris Biaggi »

I didn't check if already mentioned, here's a short list of my 'unconventional' favourites:
-Pokemon Card Game and Card GB2 (this one is fully playable thanks to translation patch)
-For the frog the bell tolls, a really nice rpg recently translated
-Catrap
-Block Kuzushi, arkanoid clone (with english patch)
-Castle Quest, chess-like game
-Avenging spirit, great arcade game port
-Picross 2 (with english patch)

There are a lot of unknown jp games that can be discovered thanks to recent translations, i played some, but there are a lot more to play, expecially rpg.
I have some ready to play, just need time, for ex:
-Grandia - Parallel Trippers
-Hercules
-Penta Dragon
----------- Neo Mini Box -----------
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Turrican wrote:
One case might be euro platformer (and GB original) Lucky Luke. It was released in 1996 as a standard b&w cart, which is very late to not sport at least some SGB enhancements, I'd say. Then, three years later, a fully colorized version of it was released. I'm not too familiar with the game but at a quick glance it seems like only color was added. So, there's one[*]. Although 1996-1999 is a shorter time span for what I was looking for.
Smurfs Nightmare (released as a GB b/w game in Europe) and V-Rally are similar cases, though the GBC versions seem to run smoother. The color palette is also very well done on those games.

Balloon Kid is really an oddity. It's the only game where Nintendo was directly involved that I can think of that Nintendo licensed to another company to port with a license (Hello Kitty World for Famicom). The company that ported the game, Pax Softonica, programmed the GB version. I'm not sure, but I'm guessing Pax Softonica did the GBC port themselves, as well.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

BrianC wrote:Balloon Kid is really an oddity. It's the only game where Nintendo was directly involved that I can think of that Nintendo licensed to another company to port with a license (Hello Kitty World for Famicom). The company that ported the game, Pax Softonica, programmed the GB version. I'm not sure, but I'm guessing Pax Softonica did the GBC port themselves, as well.
It's a bit like the inverse of Doki Doki Panic. The odd thing about the Hello Kitty port is that it doesn't mention Nintendo in an explicit way, but rather a "Mario Co, Ltd.".

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/10/h ... d-famicom/

I got it, but I must say I prefer the GB original. it just suits so well to portable gaming.

Pax Softnica is the greatest unsung developer on GB. I can go as far as saying that Top Rank (ing) Tennis is the best game of the entire GB library.
X - P - B
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

I keep wondering why the older GB games, the better they seem.
Nintendo's excellence at LCD games can't be the only answer. Been playing Revenge of the 'Gator and that one wasn't even published by Nintendo. I see many 8-bit computer games among stuff developed by HAL Laboratory and now it seems to me, developers back then got to work with very limited hardware again, yet they had more experience under their belt. Thus they would be able to re-imagine their old games. Case in point - Solar Striker that seems strongly influenced by PCE shmups to me.
1989-'90 must have been precious years for GB games devs, when at last nobody really asked for huge sprites and "good" graphics, only the playability.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Turrican wrote: Pax Softnica is the greatest unsung developer on GB. I can go as far as saying that Top Rank (ing) Tennis is the best game of the entire GB library.
I like Wave Race quite a bit too.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

What do you know, Wave Race wasn't even released in Japan, just like the b&w Balloon Kid!
The way out is cut off

Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:What do you know, Wave Race wasn't even released in Japan, just like the b&w Balloon Kid!
Same goes for Top Ranking Tennis. Japan really missed out with GB.
X - P - B
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

yeah but they got (about 10 copies of) ZAS
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Ed Oscuro wrote:yeah but they got (about 10 copies of) ZAS
and endless copies of Puyo Puyo Tsuu and the Namco Galleries.

One warning with the Namco Galleries. The ports of Galaga and Galaxian have the same sound issues (music playing wrong and sounds not playing) on early GBC systems as the versions on the Galaga/Galaxian cart (not too surprising since the carts still predate the GBC). The good news is that the the sound issues don't occur on GBA, Super Gameboy, Game Boy Player, pre-GBC gameboys, or GBCs after the first run.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:I keep wondering why the older GB games, the better they seem.
[...] 1989-'90 must have been precious years for GB games devs, when at last nobody really asked for huge sprites and "good" graphics, only the playability.
I disagree there. In fact, I think much of the 1989-90 stuff was subpar even for Gameboy standards. Developers probably weren't really conscious that they had 8bit power with them. Games from those years are plagued with flickering and slowdowns. I think the real deal began from 1991 onwards, with 1993 being the absolute apex. From 1994 it's downward, and to such a degree that I could consider 1993 the best year ever for handheld gaming.
X - P - B
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Turrican wrote:
Obiwanshinobi wrote:I keep wondering why the older GB games, the better they seem.
[...] 1989-'90 must have been precious years for GB games devs, when at last nobody really asked for huge sprites and "good" graphics, only the playability.
I disagree there. In fact, I think much of the 1989-90 stuff was subpar even for Gameboy standards. Developers probably weren't really conscious that they had 8bit power with them. Games from those years are plagued with flickering and slowdowns. I think the real deal began from 1991 onwards, with 1993 being the absolute apex. From 1994 it's downward, and to such a degree that I could consider 1993 the best year ever for handheld gaming.
I partially agree (lots of good stuff in 93), but some of the better first party games like Donkey Kong and Mole Mania came out 1994 and later. The excellent Puyo Puyo Tsuu port was post 94, as well. Donkey Kong and Mole Mania also had Pax Softnica involvement.

Edit: Actually, I disagree on 89-90 releases being subpar as well. Maybe as far as taking advantage of hardware (though some 1990 release like Twinbee look impressive), but not as far as gameplay and charm.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Gradius and The Castlevania Adventure are two good examples of the "early flubs" myth. When you look at them at first, you notice a lot of slowdown and very simple graphics - that wouldn't be acceptable in later titles. However they both play quite well in my opinion (well, CV Adventure is definitely an "acquired taste" and takes a good deal of patience to get through, but I used to be able to loop it almost endlessly). Of course they're both outdone graphically by later games, but in the case of Gradius, it's got a straightforward game type with secret areas that holds up well enough today (again, if you don't mind marathon gaming sessions).

I don't know much else about '89/'90 releases though.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

I just don't know of many other systems with as plentiful strong first year titles as Game Boy had. With GB oldies, if it's from 89/90, it's a safe buy. Not so sure about pre-SMB Famicom games for example (see Urban Champion).
The way out is cut off

Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Ed Oscuro wrote:Gradius and The Castlevania Adventure are two good examples of the "early flubs" myth. When you look at them at first, you notice a lot of slowdown and very simple graphics - that wouldn't be acceptable in later titles. However they both play quite well in my opinion (well, CV Adventure is definitely an "acquired taste" and takes a good deal of patience to get through, but I used to be able to loop it almost endlessly). Of course they're both outdone graphically by later games, but in the case of Gradius, it's got a straightforward game type with secret areas that holds up well enough today (again, if you don't mind marathon gaming sessions).

I enjoyed all GB Castlevania's, even Dark Night Prelude in spite of its vapid nature. Adventure is great. Once I got past (or learned to click with) its ropeyness, it was plenty fun to learn. CV2 is just amazing for what it is: great soundtrack, design... everything really.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

BIL

Post by BIL »

I can almost feel the cogs and gears of the universe slowing down to a near-standill when I play CV Adventure. I still remember the exact moment I booted it up in 2000 after picking up a loose cart from Funcoland. Reactions in sequence: "SWEET CHOONS!" "Can't... move... legs... GRAHHH!" "But still, fucking nice music." I am not regret sticking with it until the loop despite the alarming slowness, though. Decently perilous level designs once you're past the first and it really does have an FN' ace soundtrack, as does the second game. Praying Hands (Cloud BGM) is particularly incredible.

The first GB Gradius on the other hand I always thought was pretty unreservedly great, and again, holy fuck that's some soundtrack (when it's not relying on the inherently weaker Gradius 1 OST - MSX tunes own). GB Contra likewise needs no qualification, I like it better than the FC Super Contra actually.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Ed Oscuro wrote:Gradius and The Castlevania Adventure are two good examples of the "early flubs" myth. When you look at them at first, you notice a lot of slowdown and very simple graphics - that wouldn't be acceptable in later titles. However they both play quite well in my opinion (well, CV Adventure is definitely an "acquired taste" and takes a good deal of patience to get through, but I used to be able to loop it almost endlessly). Of course they're both outdone graphically by later games, but in the case of Gradius, it's got a straightforward game type with secret areas that holds up well enough today (again, if you don't mind marathon gaming sessions).

Motocross Maniacs is a 90 release and still one of my favorites on GB. TMNT is a bit on the simple side, but very fun with a nice charm to it.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

I agree that both Nemesis and Turtles are several times better than their immediate sequels. CV Adventure is also great, although in that case the sequel stands to it; so I would rule out Konami's lineup from my statement (Konami's quality is never to be questioned). After all, it's no coincidence that all these titles were rerelased in collections years later. However:
I just don't know of many other systems with as plentiful strong first year titles as Game Boy had. With GB oldies, if it's from 89/90, it's a safe buy. Not so sure about pre-SMB Famicom games for example (see Urban Champion).
See, I was exactly thinking to famicom. It launched with Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr. and Popeye. You can hardly top that, expecially when it comes to Gameboy: of the four original releases, only Mario Land stands as a genuine classic.
X - P - B
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

There's more to the "first year" than SML and the other three launch games. Like: Tetris, Revenge of the 'Gator, Balloon Kid, Bomberman port (bundled with Bomber Boy), Solar Striker - all five are very highly ranked on my list of most played GB(C/A) games nowadays, so I'm not just having memories here.
The way out is cut off

BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I like Tennis, Golf, Qix, and Alleyway quite a bit myself, though Alleyway is a shameless breakout clone. I like Atomic Punk quite a bit too, not just for the port of Bomberman. I also like Bomberman GB/GB2, though that came much later.

It's odd how Alleyway ended up on the 3DS VC when Taito had to make some kind of deal with Atari and couldn't release Arkanoid in their compilations (and the first board on later Arkanoid versions like the 360 one was altered).
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Oh yes, I ought to get Motocross Maniacs one of these days. Those games may not be all that grand, but sometimes, in usual handheld gaming situations, those are all I ask for.
The way out is cut off

BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I'm liking Tiny Toon Adventures Babs' Big Break a lot so far. Walking speed is a slight bit slow, but some clever level designs and nice music make up for it. There's also this incredible GB rendition of a familiar tune.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:There's more to the "first year" than SML and the other three launch games. Like: Tetris, Revenge of the 'Gator, Balloon Kid, Bomberman port (bundled with Bomber Boy), Solar Striker - all five are very highly ranked on my list of most played GB(C/A) games nowadays, so I'm not just having memories here.
To each his own I guess. I'm all for simpler concepts on handhelds, and it surely was great that right at the beginning Gameboy managed to secure some very tight games which made the grey brick an excellent alternative to, say, Ball or Mario's Cement Factory in your pockets.

Having been there since its release though, the Gameboy that truly excited me is the one that began to best NES at its own game, and eventually trounced the Super Famicom as well. It was one thing to have a portable edition of a 1980 coinop (like Pac-man, or Qix), a whole different matter when developers brought in your pockets enhanced ports or remakes of 1988 wonders like Bionic Commando, Battle of Olympus or Milon. Or when Yokoi made the scariest (and therefore arguably, most effective) Metroid yet.

Of course, by the time something like Seiken Densetsu came by, GB was on a league of its own (no wonder that for a sequel of that game, they had to go on SFC to mantain the wow factor). And It still feels like a triumph that Link's Awakening, after easily putting ALTTP to rest, with its eight-dungeons-each-with-its-music, managed to stay the overall best Zelda game to this day.

So that is the gameboy that wows me. The one from which heights you can piss on N64s, cubes, Wiis and the lot.

Of course, I get it that you can play Zelda LA and Bionic Commando GB a limited number of times, until you put them to rest and pick up that Tetris cartridge again with you. But even in that field, I think GB went rocking in the following years, with Joffa's incredible Mr. Do!, and some very addictive conversions (Pang!, Rodland come to mind).
BrianC wrote:I partially agree (lots of good stuff in 93), but some of the better first party games like Donkey Kong and Mole Mania came out 1994 and later.
Donkey Kong '94 truly shines. Another 1994 release that I loved is Monster Max, one of gameboy's last great titles.
X - P - B