Best Gameboy/ GB Color games?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Ed Oscuro

Re: Best Gameboy/ GB Color games?

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Alone In The Dark

I had never heard of Mercenary Force, but then again somehow it got written up for HG101 by a Shmups.com regular (or at least a lurker)!

According to that, one of the the companies behind it was responsible for Heiankyo Alien. Well, that doesn't inspire confidence, but at least I have something to go off there.

Man, the Game Boy was home to all kinds of obscure and underappreciated titles.

My first thought on seeing the garishly green (curse you, VisualBoyAdvance - this is your doing, right?) screens was that it looked something like the Ninja Kun game on Game Boy, or Sengoku something, and Ikki (arcade / Famicom). But it seems like something else entirely.
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

Tekkaman Blade

If played as an action game, it's pure crap. Your weapons are hard to use and while mobile you're way too fast to accurately hit enemies. Blind jumps galore, as well.

If played as a puzzle game, it's pretty damn interesting. Picture the challenge mode in Bionic Commando: Rearmed. Most of each level center around what you can, cannot, and should not be able to do with the grappling hook. Too bad about the bosses, however.

Rolan's Curse 2

It scratches the action-RPG itch I currently have. Much better than the first

Cave Noire

Not really a Roguelike. Not really a traditional dungeon crawl. Unique.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

I must admit Balloon Kid is magnificent indeed. If you like Baraduke and Chelnov, here's yet another oddity for ya. My favourite colour palette in a GB game running on SP thus far as well.
It's also in the vein of Duck Tales (NES) in that running and jumping I can do in real life, but this here shit is dream-like. R-Type fans may like it too. The way it slowly, meanderingly, scrollingly drives you into a trap. There is some Irem vibe to it.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Drum
Banned User

Post by Drum »

Nail 'n Scale is awesome, and the GB version of Quarth is pretty interesting.
IGMO - Poorly emulated, never beaten.

Hi-score thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34327
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Drum wrote:the GB version of Quarth is pretty interesting.
How so, exactly? What makes it peculiar?
X - P - B
Obiwanshinobi

Re:

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

BrianC wrote:Atomic Punk/Dynablaster/Bomber Boy: Another GB Bomberman. This one has a new mode where you buy powerups and choose which ones to use before starting the level. It also has a port of the first NES Bomberman.
Apparently it was originally a computer game, ported by its own maker to the Famicom. Bomber Man/Game B is my favourite single player Bomberman. Heck, it practically is a real time dungeon crawler, predating Dragon Slayer, The Tower of Druaga and Gauntlet!
I don't like Bomber Boy/Game A quite as much, but it's a nice intermission every now and then.
Haven't noticed any substantial difference between Dynablaster and Bomber Boy either. The colours on GBA (presumably GBC too) seemed a bit different, the title's different (obviously), and there's a typo in Bomber Boy ("elixer").
Does the 2 player mode require two cartridges? If it does, can those two carts be of different regions and names?
But yeah, Bomber Man/Game B is a corker.
Last edited by Obiwanshinobi on Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
The way out is cut off

professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Personal favorites:
gb - Kirby's Pinball Land
gbc - Disney's Little Mermaid 2: Pinball Frenzy
gba - Fire Emblem
BrianC

Re: Re:

Post by BrianC »

Obiwanshinobi wrote: Does the 2 player mode require two cartridges? If it does, can those two carts be of different regions and names?
All GB b/w and GBC games need two carts for 2 players. I think the compatibily of link modes between regions depends on the game. Games that are exactly the same should work, but it's possible some games were made to only link witn the same region cart.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

for bub&bob experts among you: does anyone know what is the deal with the Taito Memorial Bubble Bobble / Classic Bubble Bobble? What they were really aiming at with this title? It is not "classic" as it's obviously a long shot from the arcade. It has the Water Moon stuff from the first monochrome bubble bobble GB, but similarities seem to end there. So, is it meant to be a sequel of sorts to the gb episode, or a recreation of the NES titles, or what?

What's the opinion on this game? it was completely overshadowed by Old & New or does it retain some value?
X - P - B
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Turrican wrote:for bub&bob experts among you: does anyone know what is the deal with the Taito Memorial Bubble Bobble / Classic Bubble Bobble? What they were really aiming at with this title? It is not "classic" as it's obviously a long shot from the arcade. It has the Water Moon stuff from the first monochrome bubble bobble GB, but similarities seem to end there. So, is it meant to be a sequel of sorts to the gb episode, or a recreation of the NES titles, or what?

What's the opinion on this game? it was completely overshadowed by Old & New or does it retain some value?
I'm not sure what the case is with that one, but it seems like an odd hodge podge of the two GB Bubble Bobbles. Graphics look like the GB Bubble Bobble part 2 and I remember hearing it has levels from that game (though the extra abilities like the float bubble are missing).
dukenukems

Post by dukenukems »

metroid 2 return of samus:).
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Kirby games en masse appear to be lauded enough, but I have a particular soft spot for Kirby's Block Ball. One of those very clever applications of the GB screen proportions and resolution. Truly a handheld game (if not much of a Kirby game in the mechanical sense).
See, BreakQuest is a computer game developed with mouse controls in mind and I believe the PSP port to be compromised. Kirby's Block Ball feels right at home in my hand.
The way out is cut off

professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Interesting, I'll have to give that Kirby a try again. I've been spoiled by the DS version of Arkanoid + the DS paddle controller. That's hard to beat for that sort of game.
Drum
Banned User

Post by Drum »

Turrican wrote:
Drum wrote:the GB version of Quarth is pretty interesting.
How so, exactly? What makes it peculiar?
It has enough new stuff to be considered a sequel to the arcade game. Power ups (that you earn by making large blocks), and you can choose your ship.

Turrican

Post by Turrican »

but aren't those features carried over from the famicom port?

anyway, what about the GBC port of Rainbow Islands? I know for sure that it doesn't have the proper music tune for legal issues, but what about the rest? is it complete and playable? I haven't found much info on it over the net.
X - P - B
Drum
Banned User

Post by Drum »

Oh, I didn't know about the famicom version ... but the GB game definitely has more ships to choose from. I am also pretty sure the power ups work differently (though I can't make sense of how they work in the famicom version), and that there are more types. Easiest way is to find out for yourself!

Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Drum wrote:Nail 'n Scale is awesome, and the GB version of Quarth is pretty interesting.
There should be a colorized version of that on Vol. 2 of the Euro Konami GB Collection.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Surprised no one mentioned the amazing Tetris DX.
Turrican wrote:Anyway, I even went the extra mile and bought the official AC adapter for this baby - I was so happy until, well, I experienced the dark, impenetrable-to-light screen. I consider this piece of hardware by far the less satisfactory of the whole Gameboy family.
Every other bit of the design is way better than the SP's, though. I need to get one of those light kits.
Obiwanshinobi wrote:Is Burger Time Deluxe as good as the word "deluxe" suggests? I'd expect something as beefed up as Super Mario Bros. Deluxe.
Just "a GB port" as far as I can tell.

"BurgerTime Deluxe" is actually the name of two different games: the above (there was a similar port for Burai Fighter), and a recent remake-sequel thing.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

I find the original SP's d-pad dreamy. Saturn pad is good and all, but SP "feels" better to me.
I also have a thing for the Wiimote's d-pad. Just pleasant to use, both of them.
Even pressing up to trigger boost in Excite Truck feels jolly good. Something about placement perhaps... I like Mario Kart Wii better with a DS2, though. No weirdness of controlling bikes with a steering wheel and no weirdness of having to press up on the GameCube controller. (I know there's a few other ways to play that game alright.)
Despatche wrote: Just "a GB port" as far as I can tell.
To be fair, the graphics appear to be reworked rather than downgraded, the backdrops look more detailed and there's smooth scrolling when needed.
BurgerTime Deluxe is pretty good. No battery (there are passwords instead). It's a first-gen (pre-crash) video game at heart and I mean it in a good way. All in all, think the (very first) Bomberman port (nearly as old a game). The sort of virtues oft-absent in post-crash games, rich in graphics and sound.
The way out is cut off

Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

Despatche wrote:Surprised no one mentioned the amazing Tetris DX.
Actually, I did back in 2008 on page 1. It's great to be sure and a worthy update from original GB Tetris.

Good points on BurgerTime and Burai Fighter entries, I believe I wanted to check out BT a little while ago but never got around to it.

The only game I would reiterate on would be Kid Icarus Of Myths and Monsters. It rolls the NES game overall and is quite cheap. I thoroughly enjoyed it, far more than I'd ever glean from the NES release.
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Turrican wrote:but aren't those features carried over from the famicom port?
Not really. The GB verison of Quarth has power ups that are earned by making bigger matches and can be used at any time. The Famicom version only has blocks with different colors from the normal blocks that have different effects when they are eliminated. FC Quarth only has two ships to choose from, with the GB version having more. Another difference between versions is that clearing the blocks is the only requirement for beating levels in the FC version. The GB version requires a certain number of points to beat the levels.

Burgertime Deluxe GB isn't a port of the arcade game. It's more along the lines of Lock 'n Chase GB (telling from sound and graphics, possibly done by the same team?), an updated version with all new levels and different twists to each level. I found the game to be extremely good myself. Burai Fighter Deluxe isn't a similar port at all. Burai Fighter is actually toned down compared to the NES version, but Burgertime has a lot of stuff that isn't im the arcade original.
hermit crab

Post by hermit crab »

Bomb Jack is the best. Compared to the arcade version it has tighter controls, better (more rewarding) sounds, and the graphics, while more simple, look way better.

Nemesis 2 is awesome with great music. Another Konami classic I really enjoy is Contra ("Operation C"). Both have different names in every region which makes things a bit confusing. It's worth noting that these are original titles and not ports from other platforms.
Make a missile snap a bone gristle.
Friendly

Post by Friendly »

Shantae is one of the best GB Color games. Consider yourself lucky if you have it in your collection; it goes for crazy money now.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Let's hear you rating the Gameboy Batman games, from best to worst. I'm talking about the two sunsoft and the Animated Series, but you can go further if you've played the others (up to GBC).
X - P - B
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

I remember buying Shantae brand new when it came out at Target. Even back then I knew it was going to be worth bank (as it came out after Castlevainia CotM came out) but it never occurred to my 17 year-old brain to buy multiple copies of a game. Actually I just saw on Twitter that Shantae is coming to the 3DS shop as a download. Looks like I should have sold my copy.

As for good GB games, lately I've really been into the second Castlevainia game and the Twinbee game. Both have great gameplay and graohics for an original gameboy game
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Turrican wrote:Let's hear you rating the Gameboy Batman games, from best to worst. I'm talking about the two sunsoft and the Animated Series, but you can go further if you've played the others (up to GBC).
I'm not sure which one I like best, but I'm guessing that, if it's anything like other versions, that Batman Forever is the worst.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Kind of want to share my affection for Dragon Quest Monsters 2 here, too. A fairly wonderful kind of a game.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

BrianC wrote:FC Quarth only has two ships to choose from, with the GB version having more.
is ship choice a purely cosmetic issue?

Anyway, other question:

How many GB games received a straight colorized port on GBC? With straight I mean, that color is the only thing they added: this list should therefore be without Zelda LA DX or Balloon Fight GB.
X - P - B
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

All four European releases of the Konami GB Collection is quite close to this. "Probotector" even has humans!
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Tail Gator was a lot of fun, albeit a pretty short platformer.