Extracting the main Border Down ship?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
velocity7

Extracting the main Border Down ship?

Post by velocity7 »

Just wondering if it's actually possible to extract the model of the Border Down ship (also called "Red Wasp"). I want to take a look at the model itself for study to understand how these guys modeled the ship yet made it look so good on the screen. :o
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

A model viewer that works with any modern shmup would be amazing. If you know of one, please post!
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
Berty

Post by Berty »

What format is it in? It would probably be an *.mqo or something similar.

On a side note, i have got a pretty good model of the Ikaruga ship in 3ds format, but i havent got textures.
velocity7

Post by velocity7 »

I'm not sure myself. I don't even know how the game stored its model files; all I know is it's got textures in the PVK files.
serge

Post by serge »

It would probably be an *.mqo or something similar.
I don't believe anyone uses data straight from the editor, not optimal for loading and rendering, especially with mqo which is 90% text.
In fact, I doubt anyone is using Metasequoia3D for any "serious" development.
all I know is it's got textures in the PVK files.
Are there any NJ files? Like .nj, .njc, .njm and the like?
If yes, then models are in the format of one of SEGA's libraries they ship with the devkit. Even if there are no such files visible, it's still very likely that NJ format is used, just those models are stored in one big file or something like this (PM me if you want to know how to look for such files).

If these models are in the NJ format, to view them you need someone with the devkit, some knowledge of graphics programming and some spare time on their hands.
But before trying to find someone like that, I think it's a good idea to e-mail G.Rev asking if there is any way to obtain ship model in some viewable format, chances are very low for sure, but still better to try that before ripping the data.
velocity7

Post by velocity7 »

Yeah, by e-mailing G.Rev they'll know I have files I'm not supposed to have access to. :(

I don't see any of those "NJ*" files you mention, only "BIN" and "PVK" files. If such "NJ" files exist, they probably are in the BINs.

EDIT: What do you know, such NJ files exist. :#
serge

Post by serge »

Well, eh... just ask for model without mentioning you have any files (like "it seems like a really cool idea to have a RedWasp model in Lightwave or whatever format on your site for fans to download").
velocity7

Post by velocity7 »

Alright, sent a response. In Japanese, obviously. Let's pray it works? o_o